coyote

Default organic wines

I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried which
are available here. Thank you,
Ian Murray

A very nice organic red I am sipping on is a cabernet sauvignon 2001 by
Jacques Frelin, France. $12.50

JB

Chateau Potelle makes their better wines without adding any yeast, fining or
filtration. Not sure if this meets your definition of "organic" or not. Try
the Mount Veeder Zinfandel VGS if it does.

John

"coyote" > wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
> wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
> selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
> hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried

which
> are available here. Thank you,
> Ian Murray
>
> A very nice organic red I am sipping on is a cabernet sauvignon 2001 by
> Jacques Frelin, France. $12.50

D. Gerasimatos

In article gers.com>,
coyote > wrote:

>I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
>wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
>selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
>hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried which
>are available here. Thank you,

There are a lot of wines out there which are produced organically, but do
not explicitly say so on the label. One example I can think of is Tablas
Creek, which received the certification in January. There is still no
mention of it on the bottle, though. It's one of my favorite wineries and
the fact that it is organic is a plus.

Dimitri

pavane

"coyote" > wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
> wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
> selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
> hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried

which
> are available here. Thank you,
> Ian Murray

Fetzer Vineyards in California is primarily organic and a
leader in the organic market although they do not state
this on most of their labels...below is a link to an Ottawa
Citizen article that you should find of interest.

http://www.worldsofwine.com/citizen/...experience.htm

pavane

Dave Gimbel

Default An Ontario Organic Winery

Frogpond Farm, 1385 Larkin Rd. RR6 NOTL, L0S1J0
905-468-1079 web site www.frogpondfarm.ca is an organic producing Ontario
winery. I have tasted both the red and the white they are currently
offering. both were very good examples or OW.
Bottled in 500 ml bottles which is a little unusual. Enjoy.

"coyote" > wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
> wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
> selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
> hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried

which
> are available here. Thank you,
> Ian Murray
>
> A very nice organic red I am sipping on is a cabernet sauvignon 2001 by
> Jacques Frelin, France. $12.50

RV WRLee

>I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
>>wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
>>selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario).

Coturri makes a number of wines though not labeled as organic are made using
organic fruit, no yeast, chemicals or sulfites are added. The wines can be
terrific or challenging.
Bi!!
Mark Willstatter

"pavane" > wrote in message >...
> "coyote" > wrote in message
> e.rogers.com...
> > I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
> > wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
> > selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
> > hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried

> which
> > are available here. Thank you,
> > Ian Murray
> >

> Fetzer Vineyards in California is primarily organic and a
> leader in the organic market although they do not state
> this on most of their labels...below is a link to an Ottawa
> Citizen article that you should find of interest.
>
> http://www.worldsofwine.com/citizen/...experience.htm
>
> pavane

Just so we're clear, Fetzer is generally supportive of organic farming
techniques but Fetzer wines are not "organic" in the sense of not
adding sulfites. Even the Fetzer label targeted to the organic crowd,
Bonterra, is only organic in the grape growing, not the winemaking.
As others have noted, organic grape growing in California is expanding
and there are many wines made from fruit grown in that manner, most of
which don't note that fact on their labels. True "organic wines" in
the no-sulfites-added meaning are few and far between and, in my
experience, not worth looking for. I believe the fact that such wines
are generally poor is the reason mainstream winemakers hesitate to put
the word "organic" on their labels, even when it refers only to
vineyard management. As we've seen here, there is wide confusion of
what "organic" means on a label.

- Mark W.
RV WRLee

>I believe the fact that such wines
>are generally poor is the reason mainstream winemakers hesitate to put
>the word "organic" on their labels, even when it refers only to
>vineyard management. As we've seen here, there is wide confusion of
>what "organic" means on a label.

I beleive that in the US the FDA or the Dept of Agriculture has a standard by
which organic farming and food production is measured. It is my understanding
that the process and ongoing maintainence required to label a product as
"Organic" is quite extensive and expensive so many may make "Organic" wines but
few label it as such due to the regulatory process being so onerous.
Bi!!