FoodBanter.com

-   -   organic wines (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/22949-organic-wines.html)

coyote 28-10-2003 01:29 AM

organic wines

I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried which
are available here. Thank you,
Ian Murray

A very nice organic red I am sipping on is a cabernet sauvignon 2001 by
Jacques Frelin, France. $12.50

JB 28-10-2003 01:40 AM

organic wines

Chateau Potelle makes their better wines without adding any yeast, fining or
filtration. Not sure if this meets your definition of "organic" or not. Try
the Mount Veeder Zinfandel VGS if it does.

John

e.rogers.com...

D. Gerasimatos 28-10-2003 02:07 AM

organic wines

In article gers.com>,
coyote > wrote:

>I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
>wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
>selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
>hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried which
>are available here. Thank you,

There are a lot of wines out there which are produced organically, but do
not explicitly say so on the label. One example I can think of is Tablas
Creek, which received the certification in January. There is still no
mention of it on the bottle, though. It's one of my favorite wineries and
the fact that it is organic is a plus.

Dimitri

Dale Williams 28-10-2003 02:48 PM

organic wines

In article >, (D.
Gerasimatos) writes:

>There are a lot of wines out there which are produced organically, but do
>not explicitly say so on the label.

True, plus there's the biodynamic producers. A lot of top European growers
practice some of these methods. While certification ( Demeter & Biodivin are
the big groups, though not every biodynamic producer goes for certification)is
not exactly the same as organic certification, it's pretty close. While I find
some of these practices bizarre, there's no arguing that these producers turn
out a lot of quality wine. I think this list is mostly accurate, though very
incomplete:

Austria:
Nikolaihof

France
Burgundy: Leroy, Lafon, Brocard
Alsace: Deiss, Zind Humbrecht ,Frick , Ostertag, Weinbach
Loi Coulée de Serrant, Huet, Breton (both?), Clos Roche Blanche,
Rhône: Chapoutier
Provence : Sainte-Anne

USA : Frey
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

pavane 28-10-2003 03:04 PM

organic wines

"coyote" > wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
> I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
> wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
> selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
> hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried

which
> are available here. Thank you,
> Ian Murray

Fetzer Vineyards in California is primarily organic and a
leader in the organic market although they do not state
this on most of their labels...below is a link to an Ottawa
Citizen article that you should find of interest.

http://www.worldsofwine.com/citizen/...experience.htm

pavane

Dave Gimbel 28-10-2003 04:29 PM

An Ontario Organic Winery

Frogpond Farm, 1385 Larkin Rd. RR6 NOTL, L0S1J0
905-468-1079 web site www.frogpondfarm.ca is an organic producing Ontario
winery. I have tasted both the red and the white they are currently
offering. both were very good examples or OW.
Bottled in 500 ml bottles which is a little unusual. Enjoy.

e.rogers.com...

RV WRLee 28-10-2003 06:05 PM

organic wines

>I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
>>wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
>>selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario).

Coturri makes a number of wines though not labeled as organic are made using
organic fruit, no yeast, chemicals or sulfites are added. The wines can be
terrific or challenging.
Bi!!

Mark Willstatter 28-10-2003 07:26 PM

organic wines

"pavane" > wrote in message >...
> "coyote" > wrote in message
> e.rogers.com...
> > I am not knowledgeable about wine, but I always try to purchase organic
> > wines, for health and environmental reasons, when available (not a large
> > selection here in LCBO-controlled Ontario). I would be interested in
> > hearing of any particularly good organic wines that people have tried

> which
> > are available here. Thank you,
> > Ian Murray
> >

> Fetzer Vineyards in California is primarily organic and a
> leader in the organic market although they do not state
> this on most of their labels...below is a link to an Ottawa
> Citizen article that you should find of interest.
>
> http://www.worldsofwine.com/citizen/...experience.htm
>
> pavane

Just so we're clear, Fetzer is generally supportive of organic farming
techniques but Fetzer wines are not "organic" in the sense of not
adding sulfites. Even the Fetzer label targeted to the organic crowd,
Bonterra, is only organic in the grape growing, not the winemaking.
As others have noted, organic grape growing in California is expanding
and there are many wines made from fruit grown in that manner, most of
which don't note that fact on their labels. True "organic wines" in
the no-sulfites-added meaning are few and far between and, in my
experience, not worth looking for. I believe the fact that such wines
are generally poor is the reason mainstream winemakers hesitate to put
the word "organic" on their labels, even when it refers only to
vineyard management. As we've seen here, there is wide confusion of
what "organic" means on a label.

- Mark W.

RV WRLee 28-10-2003 07:41 PM

organic wines

>I believe the fact that such wines
>are generally poor is the reason mainstream winemakers hesitate to put
>the word "organic" on their labels, even when it refers only to
>vineyard management. As we've seen here, there is wide confusion of
>what "organic" means on a label.

I beleive that in the US the FDA or the Dept of Agriculture has a standard by
which organic farming and food production is measured. It is my understanding
that the process and ongoing maintainence required to label a product as
"Organic" is quite extensive and expensive so many may make "Organic" wines but
few label it as such due to the regulatory process being so onerous.
Bi!!

Mark Willstatter 29-10-2003 01:06 AM

organic wines

(RV WRLee) wrote in message >...
> >I believe the fact that such wines
> >are generally poor is the reason mainstream winemakers hesitate to put
> >the word "organic" on their labels, even when it refers only to
> >vineyard management. As we've seen here, there is wide confusion of
> >what "organic" means on a label.

> I beleive that in the US the FDA or the Dept of Agriculture has a standard by
> which organic farming and food production is measured. It is my understanding
> that the process and ongoing maintainence required to label a product as
> "Organic" is quite extensive and expensive so many may make "Organic" wines but
> few label it as such due to the regulatory process being so onerous.
> Bi!!

No, that's really not right. "Organic wine" requires the use of no
chemicals in the winemaking process and that includes sulfites. Very
few wineries make wines without adding sulfites and fewer yet make
*good* wine that way. It is permissible to note on a label that a
wine is "made from organically grown grapes" if a vineyard has the
required certification. Some wineries do note that fact on labels;
others avoid even this use of the word "organic", fearing being
associated with the poor "organic wine" out there.

- Mark W.