Greg Sumner

Default Agreeable Pinot

For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink a
whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40. I
don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away from
'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery, bitter
stuff.

GS.

cdossman

"Greg Sumner" > wrote in
:

> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't
> drink a whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs
> about $40. I don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night
> for watching baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out
> there, anybody have suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20
> USD. I stay far away from 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually
> a light-pink watery, bitter stuff.
>
> GS.

I like Toads Hollow alot. I think Robin Williams brother owns the vineyard.
15 to $18 US.
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:59:02 -0700, "Greg Sumner"
> wrote:

>For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink a
>whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40. I
>don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
>baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
>suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away from
>'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery, bitter
>stuff.
>
>GS.

Funny you should ask. I just picked up a couple of cases through
Avalon, a Web site distributor that specializes in Oregon and
Washington state wines. They've been pretty reliable for
recommendations in their newsletter, so I looked for some under $20
PNs that they recommended.

I came away with two:

O'Reilly Pinot Noir 2002 at $13.99. It's a second label for Owen Roe,
which makes me eager to return and try some of the top level
offerings. It sounds like the sort of wine you're seeking. It's dark
black cherry colored in the glass with a nose of Bing Cherries and
smoke. Warm and full in the mouth with plenty of dark cherry flavors,
a bit of leather and smoke. There's a warm vanilla finish. Long,
smooth and quite well balanced. It compares in my estimation to wines
like Archery Summitt, Siduri, or Gary Farrell at three to four times
the price.

The other was McKinley Vineyard Williamette Valley 2001 at $11.00.
This one had the light-pink (I call it cherry Kool-Aid) color, but
good flavors. It showed a bit of frizzante on pouring creating just a
bit of murk on the surface. The nose was very noticeably red cherry
and the taste was a much lighter style than the O'Reilly. Certainly
not the slightest bit Burgundian, but still a very good GPR.

I'm not a shill for the company, but they've been a good source for NW
wines. Take a look at www.avalonwine.com.

Larry Coon

cdossman wrote:

> I like Toads Hollow alot. I think Robin Williams brother owns the vineyard.
> 15 to $18 US.

Rex Hill Willamette is around $19. Rex Hill also has
a second line (I forget the name) that's good for the
price.
Jeffrey

I (as well as Kirk) have had success with Anawapu (may be spelled
incorrectly) as a good value pinot noir. Red Bottle. About 12-15$ here in
michigan. All the characteristics of a good pinot without the price.
Having never had "1st class" pinot noir, I have been told that this lacks
the depth and strength of some pinots/burgundys, but for what you are
speaking of, it will do just fine.

Jeff

"Greg Sumner" > wrote in message
> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink a
> whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40. I
> don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
> baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
> suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away

from
> 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery, bitter
> stuff.
>
> GS.

Dale Williams

In article >, "Greg Sumner"
> writes:

>For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink a
>whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40. I
>don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
>baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
>suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away from
>'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery, bitter
>stuff.

Without getting into vintages, I've liked:

Oregon:
St Innocent Temperance Hill
Foris (Rogue Valley)

California:
Saintsbury Garnet (their Carneros is a big step up, but usually more like $22)
Wild Horse (a little less dependable)

France:
Denis Clair Bourgogne-Hautes Côtes de Beaune
Michel Gros Bourgogne-Hautes Côtes de Nuits
Lafarge Bourgogne
Marechal Bourgogne "Cuvée Gravel"

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
John Gunn

"Greg Sumner" > wrote in
:

> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't
> drink a whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs
> about $40. I don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night
> for watching baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out
> there, anybody have suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20
> USD. I stay far away from 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually
> a light-pink watery, bitter stuff.
>
> GS.

There are quire a few Oregon pinots that are well made and fall under $20.
The Bergstrom Willamette Valley cuvee runs about $18 and is consistently
very good. A to Z is a negotiant wine put together by folks with good
credentials that is also pretty decent for the money. There are many
others.

By the way, most of what I have tasted from 2002, both from barrel and
bottle, has been much better than other recent vintages in Oregon.

John
Mark Lipton

Larry Coon wrote:

> cdossman wrote:
>
> > I like Toads Hollow alot. I think Robin Williams brother owns the vineyard.
> > 15 to $18 US.

> Rex Hill Willamette is around $19. Rex Hill also has
> a second line (I forget the name) that's good for the
> price.

King's Ridge is the second label IIRC.

Mark Lipton

C. L.

> I (as well as Kirk) have had success with Anawapu (may be spelled
> incorrectly) as a good value pinot noir. Red Bottle. About 12-15$ here

in
> michigan. All the characteristics of a good pinot without the price.
> Having never had "1st class" pinot noir, I have been told that this lacks
> the depth and strength of some pinots/burgundys, but for what you are
> speaking of, it will do just fine.
>
> Jeff

I had my first bottle of Anapamu PN the other week and went out and got 3
more the next day. Excellent everyday PN.

jcoulter

"Greg Sumner" > wrote in
:

> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't
> drink a whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs
> about $40. I don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night
> for watching baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out
> there, anybody have suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20
> USD. I stay far away from 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually
> a light-pink watery, bitter stuff.
>
> GS.

We had a Givry in our local supermarket for 11.99 very nice good body
and very pleasant nose.
Mark Lipton

Greg Sumner wrote:

> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink a
> whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40. I
> don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
> baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
> suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away from
> 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery, bitter
> stuff.

In addition to the suggestions already made, some other good quality "bargain"
Pinots a
David Bruce Sonoma
Beaulieu Vineyards "Coastal"
Navarro (must buy direct from winery)

and, at a lower price point, Echelon

HTH
Mark Lipton

dick

I have not found any real decent Pinots at low pricing from the USA. Have
not tried Bergstom yet but this is supposed to be good.

Chateau Rully Rouge of Burgundy is pretty good for about $15.00 bottle.

I can drink inexpensive cabs, but Pinot is not quite the same
domestically-usa.

My opinion only.

Tonight I had some 1997 Justin Iscoeles.(Bordeaux Blend from San Obisbo Cal.
It was way to powerful. I think I am getting wimpy in my older age.

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message

> Greg Sumner wrote:
>
> > For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink

> > whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40.

> > don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
> > baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
> > suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away

from
> > 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery, bitter
> > stuff.

> In addition to the suggestions already made, some other good quality

"bargain"
> Pinots a
> David Bruce Sonoma
> Beaulieu Vineyards "Coastal"
> Navarro (must buy direct from winery)
>
> and, at a lower price point, Echelon
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton

Larry Coon

Mark Lipton wrote:

> King's Ridge is the second label IIRC.

That's it. Name escaped me.

Larry Coon
University of California

The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
D. Gerasimatos

In article . net>,
dick > wrote:
>I have not found any real decent Pinots at low pricing from the USA. Have

[snip!]

>Tonight I had some 1997 Justin Iscoeles.(Bordeaux Blend from San Obisbo Cal.
>It was way to powerful. I think I am getting wimpy in my older age.

Justin is in Paso Robles, which is near SLO but not SLO. I like the
Isoceles.

Dimitri

Reka

"John Gunn" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. 159.8...

> There are quire a few Oregon pinots that are well made and fall under $20.
> The Bergstrom Willamette Valley cuvee runs about $18 and is consistently
> very good. A to Z is a negotiant wine put together by folks with good
> credentials that is also pretty decent for the money. There are many
> others.

I second the A to Z and would add Cooper Mountain.

Reka

---

JK

King's Ridge is my favorite under $15, and Castle Rock (2001 and 2002) is a
very good wine for under $10. Both are a little hard to find though.

JK

Uwe Herdel

Greg Sumner wrote:

> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night and I realized I don't drink a
> whole lot of it. The reason being, a good one usually costs about $40. I
> don't always want to open a $40 wine on a Thursday night for watching
> baseball. There must be some affordable Pinot's out there, anybody have
> suggestions? By affordable I mean around $15-$20 USD. I stay far away
> from 'bargain priced' Pinot Noir as it's usually a light-pink watery,
> bitter stuff.
>
> GS.

Hi Geg,
I am sorry but when you are talking about pinot, which pinot do you mean?

Pinot Blanc, Pinot noir or Pinot gris?

If you mean pinot noir I suggest you to try from the German Number one
manufacturer from the Area of Ahr (Meyer Naekel) one of the following:
(Germany)
Please Don't laugh and don't believe Parker that German Pinot noirs are
principially "bullshit". (Ok the mainistream are perharps....)

2001 Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir)
trocken
Price (Euro) Gault Milleau Points
9,50 ¤ , 13,5 % , bis 2004 85

2000 Spätburgunder
trocken »G«
11,80 ¤ , 13 % , bis 2004 86

2000 Spätburgunder
trocken »Blauschiefer«
14,30 ¤ , 13 % , bis 2004 87

This is only an Example but please beware stat Gault Milleau points are
usually much more "rigorous" than e.g. Parker points.

Best regards

--
Columbo

Michael Pronay

Uwe Herdel > wrote:

>> For some reason I wanted a Pinot last night [...]

> I am sorry but when you are talking about pinot, which pinot do
> you mean?
>
> Pinot Blanc, Pinot noir or Pinot gris?

When Americans talk about pinot, they usually mean pinot noir.

> ... the German Number one manufacturer from the Area of Ahr
> (Meyer Naekel) one of the following: (Germany)

> 2001 Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir)
> trocken
> EUR 9.50

<www.wine-searcher.com> gives two US sources - at USD 21.05 and 24.99
(plus sales tax, of course) respectively.

M.

Pinot Grigio will never be the same aesthete8 Wine 0 13-10-2010 07:12 PM
Bad Pinot Bi!! Wine 0 05-03-2009 04:52 PM
[TN] '06 ABC Pinot Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 15-02-2009 04:16 PM
Your true traveler finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It isthe symbol of his liberty -- his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom,when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure. [email protected] General Cooking 0 02-03-2008 07:28 AM
TN NZ Pinot John Taverner Wine 7 16-03-2004 05:22 AM