Lars T. Therkildsen

Default Borsch, what wine?

Hi.

My girlfriend and I are inviting a couple over for dinner, since I've found
a really good recipe for Borsch. I would like to know what wine you would
serve to it. I'm thinking soem sort of Ripasso Valporicella or maybe a
strong Zinfandel. Maybe even white wine?

Thank you
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Lars T. Therkildsen,

le/on Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:15:58 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>My girlfriend and I are inviting a couple over for dinner, since I've found
>a really good recipe for Borsch. I would like to know what wine you would
>serve to it. I'm thinking soem sort of Ripasso Valporicella or maybe a
>strong Zinfandel. Maybe even white wine?

If your borshch is the typical red beetroot soup, with loads of goodies
(white cabbage, ham, franks, brisket etc) in it then I can't really
recommend any wine with it. Liquid on liquid never goes too well. If you
really must, then something strongish, so you drink it in small quantities.
I serve sercial madeira with consommé following that principle, and it
isn't at all bad. My personal inclination from the point of view of
flavours would be for beer in fact, to contradict everything I've just
said!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
dick

How about a milk shake....

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
news
> Salut/Hi Lars T. Therkildsen,
>
> le/on Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:15:58 +0200, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >My girlfriend and I are inviting a couple over for dinner, since I've

found
> >a really good recipe for Borsch. I would like to know what wine you would
> >serve to it. I'm thinking soem sort of Ripasso Valporicella or maybe a
> >strong Zinfandel. Maybe even white wine?

> If your borshch is the typical red beetroot soup, with loads of goodies
> (white cabbage, ham, franks, brisket etc) in it then I can't really
> recommend any wine with it. Liquid on liquid never goes too well. If you
> really must, then something strongish, so you drink it in small

quantities.
> I serve sercial madeira with consommé following that principle, and it
> isn't at all bad. My personal inclination from the point of view of
> flavours would be for beer in fact, to contradict everything I've just
> said!
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
>
> Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
> Sometimes oi just sits.

Bill Davy

"Lars T. Therkildsen" > wrote in message
news
> a really good recipe for Borsch. I would like to know what wine you would
> serve to it. I'm thinking soem sort of Ripasso Valporicella or maybe a

As has been said, too much fluid is not so hot. I'd venture to suggest a
local eau de vie, like schnapps, grappa, or marc.

Jan Bøgh

"Lars T. Therkildsen" > wrote in message
news
> Hi.
>
> My girlfriend and I are inviting a couple over for dinner, since I've
> found a really good recipe for Borsch. I would like to know what wine
> you would serve to it. I'm thinking soem sort of Ripasso Valporicella
> or maybe a strong Zinfandel. Maybe even white wine?

No wine - Vodka!

????????????

regards
Jan Boegh

Lars T. Therkildsen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:33:57 +0200, Jan Bøgh <jan@boegh-dot-net> wrote:

> "Lars T. Therkildsen" > wrote in message
> news
>> Hi.
>>
>> My girlfriend and I are inviting a couple over for dinner, since I've
>> found a really good recipe for Borsch. I would like to know what wine
>> you would serve to it. I'm thinking soem sort of Ripasso Valporicella
>> or maybe a strong Zinfandel. Maybe even white wine?

> No wine - Vodka!
>
> ????????????
>
> regards
> Jan Boegh

Hahaha thanks for the advice... maybe they wont even find out how it really
tastes if I load them on vodka when they arrive. Anyway I think'll go for
some beer, no matter what you need to drink something

Regards
-lars
(Jan du er fra DK ikke sandt?)

Jan Bøgh

"Lars T. Therkildsen" > wrote in message

> (Jan du er fra DK ikke sandt?)

Du har ret :-)

vh
Jan

Lars T. Therkildsen

Hehe ok.
Ja det blev ikk' til vodka, men til god og herlig bryg i stedet.

vh
Lars

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:19:28 +0200, Jan Bøgh <jan@boegh-dot-net> wrote:

> "Lars T. Therkildsen" > wrote in message
>
>> (Jan du er fra DK ikke sandt?)

> Du har ret :-)
>
> vh
> Jan

Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:46:52 +0200, "Lars T. Therkildsen"
> wrote:

>Hehe ok.
>Ja det blev ikk' til vodka, men til god og herlig bryg i stedet.
>
>vh
>Lars
>
>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:19:28 +0200, Jan Bøgh <jan@boegh-dot-net> wrote:
>
>> "Lars T. Therkildsen" > wrote in message
>>
>>> (Jan du er fra DK ikke sandt?)

>> Du har ret :-)

Nils, you're next, and the scandic borshch club will be complete.

Mike
Jan Bøgh

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message

> Nils, you're next, and the scandic borshch club will be complete.

Regarding Nils' origin he probably would propose Absolut Vodka.

Salut

Jan

Anders Tørneskog

"Jan Bøgh" <jan@boegh-dot-net> wrote in message
> "Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
>

> > Nils, you're next, and the scandic borshch club will be complete.

> Regarding Nils' origin he probably would propose Absolut Vodka.

Which never was a vodka until international marketing made it one... :-)
History: 19th century distillers of potato spirits in Sweden competed in
making the purest spirits utilising the newest stills and multiple
distillings. So the ads went: Double distilled! Triple distilled!
Quadruple..., indeed even 10, 20 and more times - until the "Absolutely pure
spirit" appeared and trounched the others.... In the 80-ies the "Absolut
rent brännvin" was repackaged and masterfully marketed on the international
scene..
:-) Anders

Lars T. Therkildsen

And it's IMHO absolutely terrible.

-lars

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:23:38 GMT, Anders Tørneskog