John Taverner

Default TN old style v new Burgundy SFWS

Solihull Fine Wine Society

Well, the endless summer goes on to the endless Autumn here in the UK. The colours of the trees are stunning this year.

On to wines. AN wanted to compare the old guard of Burgundian winemakers with the young Turks. Blind as usual. Added price for interest/

Volnay, Nicolas Potel, 1997, bright and light. dumb gamey nose, beetroot, good middle, long. a luncheon wine. NEW. GBP 15

Beaune Greves 1er cru 1995, Dom. Thomas Moillard quite deep with extract, heavy dumb alcoholic nose, good entry with fruit++, huge tannins. great future. OLD. GBP 18

Nuits St Georges, 1er cru, 1998, Aux Boudots, Meo Camuzet. deep and bright, classic **** pot pinot, elegant and alc. nose, soft and approachable little tannin, ? at best now. NEW, GBP 52!!!

Nuits St Georges 1er cru 1998, Les Chaignots, Gerard Mugneret., pale in comparison, dumb raw claret nose, rather mean austere wine, no future (worst of the flight) OLD, GBP 23

Gevrey Chambertin, Clos St Jacques, 1999, Dom. Armand Rousseau, this and the following 2 wines were identical in the glass, deep Burgundian robe, no brown. A gentle pinot, feminine,vegetal, fat entry, so sweet, tannins+, now and to 2015? OLD. GBP 48

Gevrey Chambertin, Clos St Jacques,1999, Dom. Bruno Clair, very gamey nose, complex, masses of fruit and tannin, too young. NEW GBP 41

Pommard Clos Lambots 2000, Dom. Giradin.hefty pinosity, classic sublime, superb soft entry with wonderful lingering fruit, all in balance now, my wine of the night NEW
GBP 17...(Buy it)

Corton Les Bressandes Grand Cru 1998, Chandon De Briailles., depth and extract, a most odd perfumed nose, I checked my neighbours glass just in case, it smelt of cheap scent, we were all in agreement on the nose...faded to a Five spice Chinese Restaurant odour!, a cloying wine, when combined with nose, not right. NEW GBP30

Monterey, USA, 1998 Estancia Pinnacles Vineyard Pinot, a ringer. Only wine of the evening to have some browning. Sweet chaptalised cold pork cracling nose, rather nice, soft and voluptuous, fruit+, all in balance, despite my doubts, rather a good wine, gift so no price, I thought the previous wine was New World.

Corton Les Bressandes, Grand Cru 2000 Tollet Beaut, stunning sparkler, so bright. Sweet spice and vegetal, complex austere nose, fruit and tannins all in superb complex harmony, a stunner, drink 2010? OLD, GBP 33.

Well the jury was out last night, divisions within the club, my faves were one old and one new. Restored my faith in Burgundy but at a price.

OT, moving house in 4/52 to a house without a cellar....(gnashing of teeth), but the kids have flown, and this Victorian pile costs a fortune to run. SWMO, wants something modern. Quelle prix for old age.!!

John,

good hearing from you again! I especially enjoyed seeing your
notes as there were a couple of producers listed that I have, and
Burgundies are such tricky wines to catch at the right time. Hope you're
able to find a solution to your cellar, but how hot can it get in England?

Mark S

TN: White Burgundy, Red Burgundy, Pink Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 11-03-2011 04:25 PM
TN SFWS Sauternes JT Wine 0 12-11-2009 04:46 PM
TN SFWS White Dry Bordeaux John T Wine 0 07-06-2008 04:56 PM
TN SFWS OZ John T Wine 1 11-05-2007 01:09 AM
Burgundy Style Beef 7Hawks Recipes 0 23-11-2004 05:40 PM