ggilbert

Default Italian Wines???

Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not be so easy
to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the sweeter side. She
can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"ggilbert" > skrev i meddelandet
> Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not be so

easy
> to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the sweeter side.

She
> can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

This is just thinking out loud, OK? And it is not necessarily the case that
wines in that cost ragne are to be had at cheaper prices in Italy than in
her home town. Nor that the vintners have anything to sell.
This said:
To obvious for words, really, but, Veneto. For prices over USD 20 she´d be
able to find very good Amarone wines, which are a bit on the sweetish side,
while at the same time being monstrously good red wines (when they are
good - the production of bad wines is never far away, so to speak). Or, the
grand father of the amarone, the Recioto di Valpolicella, which has a very
slight bitterness but on the whole is definitely sweet (I like TOmmasi´s,
but I doubt that that would be impossible to find in a shop near her).
There are also other wines in the Amarone style but that are produced
outside the 5 communes allowing the DOC Amarone, or containing other grapes
than the three allowed for an Amarone. 1999 Masi Grandarella Appassimento
IGT comes to mind, but it is basically the same as the Tommasi Recioto -
very little curiosity value. Good QPR, though.

HTH - HAND

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

ggilbert

thank you so very much for all of your suggestions. She is very excited.

"ggilbert" > wrote in message
> Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not be so

easy
> to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the sweeter side.

She
> can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

Jan Bøgh

"ggilbert" > wrote in message

> Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not be
> so easy to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the
> sweeter side. She can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

If You could be a bit more specific about /where/ she's going, it would be
very much easyer to help.

She can either visit some supermarkets with a broad selections of italian
wines or she could visit some wineries. When You writes 'sweeter side',
means that red 'normal' red wines with a little residual sugar or perhaps
whites. Or means it sweet wines - both reds and whites -, where the
possibilities are overwhelming i Italy?

regards
Jan

Michael Bartlett

I'm a massive fan of Castello di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico Riserva...

"ggilbert" > wrote in message
> Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not be so

easy
> to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the sweeter side.

She
> can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

Vilco \(out\)

"ggilbert" ha scritto

> Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may

not be so easy
> to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the

sweeter side. She
> can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

Moscato d'Asti: sweeeeeeter than honey.

Vilco

gedh

Although I may have read it too quickly, your reply seems to use 'Amarone' &
'Recioto' interchangably. To be clearer, although both are made from dried
Valpolicella grapes (mainly Corvina) but for Recioto, fermentation is
stopped so that it remains sweet; for Amarone, fermentation is allowed to
continue until the wine is dry.

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> "ggilbert" > skrev i meddelandet
> > Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not be so

> easy
> > to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the sweeter side.

> She
> > can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

> This is just thinking out loud, OK? And it is not necessarily the case

that
> wines in that cost ragne are to be had at cheaper prices in Italy than in
> her home town. Nor that the vintners have anything to sell.
> This said:
> To obvious for words, really, but, Veneto. For prices over USD 20 she´d be
> able to find very good Amarone wines, which are a bit on the sweetish

side,
> while at the same time being monstrously good red wines (when they are
> good - the production of bad wines is never far away, so to speak). Or,

the
> grand father of the amarone, the Recioto di Valpolicella, which has a very
> slight bitterness but on the whole is definitely sweet (I like TOmmasi´s,
> but I doubt that that would be impossible to find in a shop near her).
> There are also other wines in the Amarone style but that are produced
> outside the 5 communes allowing the DOC Amarone, or containing other

grapes
> than the three allowed for an Amarone. 1999 Masi Grandarella Appassimento
> IGT comes to mind, but it is basically the same as the Tommasi Recioto -
> very little curiosity value. Good QPR, though.
>
> HTH - HAND
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils Gustaf
>
> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

jcoulter

"gedh" > wrote in
:

> Although I may have read it too quickly, your reply seems to use
> 'Amarone' & 'Recioto' interchangably. To be clearer, although both are
> made from dried Valpolicella grapes (mainly Corvina) but for Recioto,
> fermentation is stopped so that it remains sweet; for Amarone,
> fermentation is allowed to continue until the wine is dry.
>
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in
> message ...
>> "ggilbert" > skrev i meddelandet
>> > Friend going to Italy next month. Any ideas on wines that may not
>> > be so

>> easy
>> > to locate in the states? She likes wines which are on the sweeter
>> > side.

>> She
>> > can spend $20 to 75 bottle.

>> This is just thinking out loud, OK? And it is not necessarily the
>> case

> that
>> wines in that cost ragne are to be had at cheaper prices in Italy
>> than in her home town. Nor that the vintners have anything to sell.
>> This said:
>> To obvious for words, really, but, Veneto. For prices over USD 20
>> she´d be able to find very good Amarone wines, which are a bit on the
>> sweetish

Not that I ever tasted.

TN: US, French and Italian wines DaleW Wine 1 28-10-2013 02:52 PM
TN: French and Italian wines DaleW Wine 0 26-09-2013 03:42 PM
Italian Wines Manuel Wine 0 27-11-2009 04:33 AM
TN: 4 Italian wines btg DaleW Wine 0 29-06-2009 07:47 PM
Italian Wines Colonnara Winemaking 0 12-02-2004 06:05 PM