Dale Williams

Default TN: 2 moderately-priced Italian winners

With roast chicken with Greek herbs, lemon-garlic potatoes, and broccoli , the
2001 Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis. Heard nice things re the 2002, but need to
finish the '01s first! Good balance of smooth body and nice acidity. White
fruit and a little citrus, clean and fresh-tasting. Nice wine for $18. B+

With a tomato-mushroom sauce over pasta, the 1999 Bartolo Mascarello Barbera
d'Alba "San Lorenzo" . I can't say I would have picked this out as produced by
the champion of tradition- there's not a lot of oak, but it is smooth and
easy. Medium acidity for a Barbera, brilliant red fruit (mostly berry), I even
think I catch a hint of figs. Really tasty in any case -Betsy especially likes
it. The remnants with some pot roast tonight seemed more traditonally Barbera,
with an acidic edge to the still forward fruit. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a pretty easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply