FoodBanter.com

-   -   YellowTail now available at 'home" (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/22852-yellowtail-now-available-home.html)

swooper 08-10-2003 04:39 AM

YellowTail now available at 'home"

Went to a major wholesaler expo and curiosity got the better of me as
they had the much discussed Yellowtail Shiraz, and Yellowtail Merlot
available for tasting. Now available in Australia, (it has has LOTS
of publicity here due to the success of the export of 5.4 million
cases, and expected to rise to 6million next fin. year). I found them
both inoffensive, but thin and sweet. Winemaker told me the 03
yellowtail IS a little sweeter than 02 as it will suit the US market
more. Here's the local catch.... they are expecting it to fetch just
under $10AUS per bottle, and in that company, would NOT be on my
shopping list. Too many other 'quaffing' wines of much better quality
are available, so I guess that leaves the bulk of the produce for you
Americans... :>)

Regards
Matt

Vino 08-10-2003 05:38 AM

YellowTail now available at 'home"

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:39:18 +1000,
wrote:

>Went to a major wholesaler expo and curiosity got the better of me as
>they had the much discussed Yellowtail Shiraz, and Yellowtail Merlot
>available for tasting. Now available in Australia, (it has has LOTS
>of publicity here due to the success of the export of 5.4 million
>cases, and expected to rise to 6million next fin. year). I found them
>both inoffensive, but thin and sweet. Winemaker told me the 03
>yellowtail IS a little sweeter than 02 as it will suit the US market
>more.

I don't doubt this but it's a sad commentary on the taste of the
typical US wine consumer.

>Here's the local catch.... they are expecting it to fetch just
>under $10AUS per bottle, and in that company, would NOT be on my
>shopping list. Too many other 'quaffing' wines of much better quality
>are available, so I guess that leaves the bulk of the produce for you
>Americans... :>)

Don't include me in that number.

Vino

Dale Williams 08-10-2003 04:29 PM