Old 06-10-2003, 05:38 AM
Xyzsch

Default Newbie about Wine Cellars.

Why bother for only 29 bottles? I rent a storage space for 12 cases and it
costs me less than $10/month.

Only applicable if you live in or near a big city, Dimitri. In my case, the
nearest facility would be 1000 miles. While mine is an extreme case, the
original poster did not say where he resided.

In the Northwest Territories, there are no nearby facilities, but you could
probably store them in your upstairs living room, if you had a humidifier.

So much depends on where you live.

Tom Schellberg

Old 06-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Wave Jumper

Back to my original post on 9/19 about small wine cellars. I don't buy
large quantities of wine at a time to save for years in a wine storage
facility. We go north (OR/WA) and buy several cases at wineries each year.
I'm concerned because we live in the southwest and the temperature in our
home is 80 during the summer and fluctuates between 60 and 70 in winter.
I don't care to store a few cases in a wine storage facility 50 miles away
and not have them readily available. So...back to my original question:
Does anyone have recommendations on good brands of wine cellars? Wine
cellars that will hold approximately 30 to 50 or 60 bottles of wine? I'm
looking for one that don't vibrate much (or at all) and will keep a
reasonably steady temp. It would be a plus if it was quite too.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Dale Williams

In article , Wave Jumper
writes:

So...back to my original question:
Does anyone have recommendations on good brands of wine cellars? Wine
cellars that will hold approximately 30 to 50 or 60 bottles of wine? I'm
looking for one that don't vibrate much (or at all) and will keep a
reasonably steady temp. It would be a plus if it was quite too.

I don't have recs on particular brands. But for 30-60 bottles of wine, I'd just
buy the best-priced one that has a good warranty (most have 1 yr, with 5 yr on
compressor). Check warehouse clubs- most carry Avanti, Sanyo, or the like.
There's no reason you especially need a Eurocave or other specialty brand for
your usage. Refrigeration is pretty simple, it's the humidity constancy that
sets apart the better brands. And if you keep bottles on their sides, over
short-term you're not going to have corks drying out (in my inexpert and
non-technical experience) in any of these units.

With 80 F temps, even if unit compressor failed, if you keep door shut it
probably would stay cool for couple days if full. One thing I would look for is
a solid door. If you're not using as a display unit, even the best glass door
is poor insulation, and a waste of power as well as a risk.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Old 06-10-2003, 10:10 PM
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Dale Williams wrote:

[...]

With these requirements, I'd be tempted to just buy a refrigerator. I use
an old refrigerator in my garage for short-term holding of wines and have
had no problems.

Dimitri

Wine cellars jhill999 Wine 5 06-04-2007 06:27 AM
-----------WINE CELLARS------------------- pmorgan Wine 2 02-03-2007 03:08 AM
Newbie Question-Wine Coolers/Cellars Steve Dannenbaum Wine 14 05-09-2005 11:12 AM
Wine Cellars - Chuck Reid Wine 4 16-11-2004 06:10 AM
Wine coolers vs. cellars skategoat25 Wine 4 09-01-2004 12:51 AM