Siobhan Leachman

Default 1999 Guigal Cote Rotie Chateau D' Ampuis

Hi Anders

I lurk here quite often but don't normally contribute. However I notice
that you mention you've got some 99 Ampuis in your cellar. Just thought you
might be interested in a tasting note I did from a recent tasting of Guigal
wines I attended. The tasting included several of his top 99's. The
d'Ampuis was lovely. It had a dark purple/ruby core with a ruby rim. On
the nose it was fantastically intense with complex aromas of black and red
fruits (especially cherries), floral notes including violets and lavender,
herbs and a hint of what I describe as furniture polish! The new oak aroma
was quite noticable but unlike some at the tasting who thought it too
prevelent I found it very pleasant.

On the palate it was silky, had beautifully balanced acidity and ripe
tannins. Rich ripe fruit balanced the obvious but again very pleasant new
oak flavours. Dark chocolate, black olives and mocha were all present
adding to the wonderful taste sensation. It was a beautiful wine with a
long life ahead of it. And do I envy those who have some in their cellar!

Regards

Siobhan

RV WRLee

>And do I envy those who have some in their cellar!

I bought two cases of the 1999 Ampuis but had to return them both since all 24
bottles had pushed up corks and wine had leaked all over the bottles indicating
exposure to high temps in shipping. At that price I didn't wasnt to take a
chance. Every case that the distributor had was in the same shape.
Bi!!
Kirk-O-Scottland

"Siobhan Leachman" > wrote in message
> Hi Anders
>
> I lurk here quite often but don't normally contribute. However I notice
> that you mention you've got some 99 Ampuis in your cellar. Just thought

you
> might be interested in a tasting note I did from a recent tasting of

Guigal
> wines I attended. The tasting included several of his top 99's. The
> d'Ampuis was lovely. It had a dark purple/ruby core with a ruby rim. On
> the nose it was fantastically intense with complex aromas of black and red
> fruits (especially cherries), floral notes including violets and lavender,
> herbs and a hint of what I describe as furniture polish! The new oak

aroma
> was quite noticable but unlike some at the tasting who thought it too
> prevelent I found it very pleasant.
>
> On the palate it was silky, had beautifully balanced acidity and ripe
> tannins. Rich ripe fruit balanced the obvious but again very pleasant new
> oak flavours. Dark chocolate, black olives and mocha were all present
> adding to the wonderful taste sensation. It was a beautiful wine with a
> long life ahead of it. And do I envy those who have some in their cellar!
>
> Regards
>
> Siobhan

Your notes and impressions are wonderfully articulated; you should
contribute more and lurk less!