bill

Default Looking for first wine class... (Boston, MA, USA)

Despite the fact that I shop for wine every week and I drink it
daily, I know very little about wines. For years I've resisted the
impulse to learn more; my stubborn attitude has been something like
"I know I like the stuff, so why complicate this simple pleasure?"
But in fact, I find myself distressingly often in situations in
which I wish I knew more about wines. The usual: 1) what to order
when at a restaurant; or 2) what wine to give as a gift.

Can a "wine tasting/appreciation" course help me here? I ask because
I really don't know what is it that one learns in such a course.
If they just have me taste wines of various qualities side-by-side
so that I can learn what is it that makes a wine "better" than
another, this knowledge would not help me when I'm staring at a
wines list or at shelves at the wine store.

Aside from the above, what should I look for in a wine tasting/appreciation
course? What makes a good course? What makes a bad one?

If anybody knows of a good class to learn about wines in the
Boston/Cambridge (Massachusetts, USA) area, please let me know!

TIA,

bill

JEP

bill > wrote in message >...

> If anybody knows of a good class to learn about wines in the
> Boston/Cambridge (Massachusetts, USA) area, please let me know!

You can try the Cambridge Center for Adult Education. They have a
number of different wine courses. A general one that hits many
different areas and grapes and more specific ones that focus on a
specific grape or area. Their website is

http://www.ccae.org/

There are also many stores that give regular tastings. Brookline
Liquor Mart

http://www.blmwine.com/

holds free tastings just about every Saturday afternoon. They usually
have a theme and their goal is to get you to buy, but it is free.

You can also check

http://www.localwineevents.com/

They list for free and for fee wine events by area.

Andy

Tea culture class icetea8 Tea 0 02-02-2012 02:50 AM
AYCE in Boston or South of Boston AND AYCE PRICE CapeCodBob Sushi 3 16-10-2008 01:58 PM
2006 Boston Wine Expo Professor Wine 2 16-12-2005 04:22 PM
Wine Class in NYC [email protected] General 0 18-02-2005 03:41 AM
Wine equipment for sale,Boston area... Mark Winemaking 0 17-11-2004 02:31 PM