Eric Reichenbach

Default Where, besides Australia, is Syrah known as Shiraz?

To my knowledge, Shiraz is a term coined in Australia and only bottles
from there will say "Shiraz". Are there, in fact, other countries using
the term "Shiraz" on their bottles?

By the way, I had a bottle of Possum's Shiraz 2001 the other day. Well
worth the $14!!!

Thank you,

Eric

cory

Eric Reichenbach wrote:

> To my knowledge, Shiraz is a term coined in Australia and only bottles
> from there will say "Shiraz". Are there, in fact, other countries using
> the term "Shiraz" on their bottles?
>
> By the way, I had a bottle of Possum's Shiraz 2001 the other day. Well
> worth the $14!!!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric

It's my understanding that the Shiraz grape is named after Shiraz, Iran.

http://www.planitvancouver.com/Artic...11-Shiraz.html

Chuck Reid

"Eric Reichenbach" > wrote in message
> To my knowledge, Shiraz is a term coined in Australia and only bottles
> from there will say "Shiraz". Are there, in fact, other countries using
> the term "Shiraz" on their bottles?

Thank you,

> Eric

Yes Eric;

Canada; At least on Inniskillin's 2000 Brae Burn Estate.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

Walter Moar

Eric Reichenbach wrote:
> To my knowledge, Shiraz is a term coined in Australia and only bottles
> from there will say "Shiraz". Are there, in fact, other countries using
> the term "Shiraz" on their bottles?

A quick search of the BC provincial liquor stores comes up with: Canada
(many), South Africa (a few), Chile (a couple), New Zealand (1) and
Argentina (1).

-Walter

grazzc

It might be safer to say, where in the world uses the term Syrah. The
variety is known more universally by its synonym of Shiraz, in South Africa,
New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, South America (aka Balsamina). In
france there are two distinct types known as Grosse Syrah with larger
berries, and the smaller berried, superioir Petite Syrah (no relation to the
Petite Syrah{sirah/etc,etc} grown in california{reckoned to be Durif}).
Syrah is also grown in Switzerland in the Valais, in Corsica, Spain and
Tuscany, but Im not sure by what name it goes, as I havent seen any. Check
out Jancis robinsons two books on grape varieties for more info - Vines
Grapes and Wines, and Guide to Grape Varieties(?).

grazza

"Eric Reichenbach" > wrote in message
> To my knowledge, Shiraz is a term coined in Australia and only bottles
> from there will say "Shiraz". Are there, in fact, other countries using
> the term "Shiraz" on their bottles?
>
> By the way, I had a bottle of Possum's Shiraz 2001 the other day. Well
> worth the $14!!!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Eric

BFSON

The last DNA test results from UC Davis say that Petite Sirah (or Petite Syrah)
is related to Syrah!
pavane

"BFSON" > wrote in message
> The last DNA test results from UC Davis say that Petite Sirah (or Petite

Syrah)
> is related to Syrah!

....I believe that they were both grapes at one time...

pavane

RobertsonChai

Kent zzzzz opines,

>Hmm, no Petite Shiraz.

No, but the old-timers in California grape-growing called it [phonetically]
"Pet It Seerah"

Up until the 1980s, when the old guys of Prohibition days started dying off,
that's what it was called.

---Bob

[TN] '01 Io Syrah Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 15-03-2010 05:56 PM
Syrah and Shiraz Bill S. Wine 5 17-03-2008 08:43 AM
Petite Sirah/Syrah/Shiraz [email protected] Wine 4 07-08-2006 06:40 AM
Shiraz/Syrah Port Question J~ Wine 6 04-03-2005 01:17 PM
Shiraz? jmcquown General Cooking 28 28-12-2003 04:14 PM