Leichtman

Default '99 Silver Oak Alexander Valley

In article >,
"Jim R" > wrote:

> Was wondering if anyone has TNs of said wine or read any early reviews.
> According to my local shop, Parker gave it a 92, and that's all I know about
> it. Bought a couple of bottles of last years '98 before the 87-ish ratings
> poured in, just trying to avoid the same mistake. Thanks, Jim

Just tasted it at the Sante Fe wine and Chile Festival. (I'm working on
copious notes now) Tasted it right after the current and a 1990 Ridge
Montebello. No comparison both Ridge's were superior with the '90
approaching a 92-95. The Silver Oak:Good color deep brick red, nose of
pepper and some cedar but not a lot more, very dense tannins, guite a
bit of fruit and fairly long finish. Still very unbalanced and even so
after 1.5 hours. I would rate this under 90 at this point.

--
Lawrence G. Leichtman, MD
Genetics and Disabilities Diagnostic Care Center
Mark Lipton

Leichtman wrote:

> Just tasted it at the Sante Fe wine and Chile Festival. (I'm working on
> copious notes now) Tasted it right after the current and a 1990 Ridge
> Montebello. No comparison both Ridge's were superior with the '90
> approaching a 92-95. The Silver Oak:Good color deep brick red, nose of
> pepper and some cedar but not a lot more, very dense tannins, guite a
> bit of fruit and fairly long finish. Still very unbalanced and even so
> after 1.5 hours. I would rate this under 90 at this point.

Lawrence,
How was the Fiesta this year? It's a favorite of mine, but we didn't get
there this year. Highlights? New restaurants? Fantastic tasting events? At
least I may get some vicarious pleasure from the event...

Mark Lipton

Leichtman

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Leichtman wrote:
>

> > Just tasted it at the Sante Fe wine and Chile Festival. (I'm working on
> > copious notes now) Tasted it right after the current and a 1990 Ridge
> > Montebello. No comparison both Ridge's were superior with the '90
> > approaching a 92-95. The Silver Oak:Good color deep brick red, nose of
> > pepper and some cedar but not a lot more, very dense tannins, guite a
> > bit of fruit and fairly long finish. Still very unbalanced and even so
> > after 1.5 hours. I would rate this under 90 at this point.

> Lawrence,
> How was the Fiesta this year? It's a favorite of mine, but we didn't
> get
> there this year. Highlights? New restaurants? Fantastic tasting events?
> At
> least I may get some vicarious pleasure from the event...
>
> Mark Lipton

It was as wonderful as ever. Only new restaurant was Swig which serves
mostly asian tapas. Everyone seems to have gotten on the tapas craze. El
Encanto which serves food from central Mexico (Mexico City, Oaxaca,
Puelba and Merida is also a new one for me. I attended their wine dinner
which was with Chilean wines from Morande. The food was sublime but the
wines were so so. They did have an interesting late harvest Sauvingnon
Blanc botyritis affected which went wonderfully with the flan-like
dessert. As to the big tasting blown away by the Old House, The
Compound, El Meson, Anasazi (the best ribs I've ever had), Geronimo, El
Farol (figs roast pork and Idiazabel cheese tapas yum) Gabriels
guacamole as always, Ristras and Santacafe. 60 restaruants total.
Broadbent was present this time with several Ports and Madeiras which
is fairly new for this event. They are mostly showing their own labels.
An LBV from Broadbent showed nicely with a very smooth and creamy finish
for an LBV. Had a taste of a 1923 Malmsey which was quite wonderful and
really showed little age. I'm somewhat disappointed by the American,
mostly California presenters who primarily brought Cabernet Sauvignon
and Chardonnay and not much else. The Ridge Montebello was a taste treat
as well as 2 special bottling sof Zindfandel from Rosenblum as well as
Ravenswood's entire line of Zindfandels some of which (the Belloni
especially) seemed to hold an excellent aging potential. Of those who
brought alternatives the 2001 Cigar Volante from Bonny Doon was nice but
still very closed as I would expect from a Rhone-like wine at this
point. Their Old Telegraph was quite fruit forward and certainly nothing
like Vieux Tlegraph which they seem to want to imitate. Tasted the BV
Private Reserve 2000 and the Tapestry 2000 and found the Private Reserve
Cab to be superior with good tannins and already showing nice structure.
They talked very briefly about the TCA problems they have had and that
they will probably move to screw tops soon. Clos Du Bois had a Reserve
2001 Shiraz which was quite nice with a good structure and lots of
peppery fruit on the palate. Landmark 2001 Pinot Noir was suprisingly
good with excellent fruit and nice smooth body. Heitz seemed back in
form with the 2000 Martha's Vineyard already nicely balanced without the
excessive fruit forwardness they have exhibited the last several years.
Qupe Syrah Bien Nacido 2001 also excellent with food balanced fruit and
acid though a bit thin in tannins to last. 94 wineries total.

--
Lawrence G. Leichtman, MD
Genetics and Disabilities Diagnostic Care Center
www.lleichtman.org
dick

Can I assume you are saying that Silver Oak Alexander 1999 is back on track.
They were at the top of my list for years. Then they seemed to change in
1996, 1997 and 1998 in there style with regards to the Alexander Valley
Fruit. I was so disappointed with the 1997 when virtually everyone made
great wine.

The Napa bottling did change as they have gone more Bordeaux blend...and
that might be better long term.

"Leichtman" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Cab to be superior with good tannins and already showing nice structure.
> They talked very briefly about the TCA problems they have had and that
> they will probably move to screw tops soon. Clos Du Bois had a Reserve
> 2001 Shiraz which was quite nice with a good structure and lots of
> peppery fruit on the palate. Landmark 2001 Pinot Noir was suprisingly
> good with excellent fruit and nice smooth body. Heitz seemed back in
> form with the 2000 Martha's Vineyard already nicely balanced without the
> excessive fruit forwardness they have exhibited the last several years.
> Qupe Syrah Bien Nacido 2001 also excellent with food balanced fruit and
> acid though a bit thin in tannins to last. 94 wineries total.
>
> --
> Lawrence G. Leichtman, MD
> Genetics and Disabilities Diagnostic Care Center

Leichtman

In article >,
"dick" > wrote:

> Can I assume you are saying that Silver Oak Alexander 1999 is back on track.
> They were at the top of my list for years. Then they seemed to change in
> 1996, 1997 and 1998 in there style with regards to the Alexander Valley
> Fruit. I was so disappointed with the 1997 when virtually everyone made
> great wine.
>
> The Napa bottling did change as they have gone more Bordeaux blend...and
> that might be better long term.

Yep, I think they have gotten back on track. I too felt they had lost it
for the last 4 vintages but this was what I used to see in Silver Oak
Alexander Valley.

--
Lawrence G. Leichtman, MD
Genetics and Disabilities Diagnostic Care Center
www.lleichtman.org

Mark Lipton

Leichtman wrote:

> It was as wonderful as ever. Only new restaurant was Swig which serves
> mostly asian tapas. Everyone seems to have gotten on the tapas craze. El
> Encanto which serves food from central Mexico (Mexico City, Oaxaca,
> Puelba and Merida is also a new one for me.

Me too. You sure you mean Mérida? It's in the Yucatan, not central MX. Sounds
good, regardless. I'll make a note to try it the next time we're there.

> <SNIP great list of restos>

Last time we were there, we had a great meal at Geronimo. Anasazi and Santacafe I
am less enthusiastic about (but still good).

Thanks very much for such a thorough description. I almost feel as if I had been
there (and I've resolved to go next year). I am a bit worried, though, that the
foreign contingent there seemed less interesting. Personally, I think that some
of the best matches for Southwestern cooking don't come from the US (Alsace, the
Loire and NZ f'rinstance).

Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mark Lipton,

le/on Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:11:38 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>Leichtman wrote:
>

>> It was as wonderful as ever. Only new restaurant was Swig which serves
>> mostly asian tapas. Everyone seems to have gotten on the tapas craze. El
>> Encanto which serves food from central Mexico (Mexico City, Oaxaca,
>> Puelba and Merida is also a new one for me.

>Me too. You sure you mean Mérida? It's in the Yucatan, not central MX. Sounds
>good, regardless. I'll make a note to try it the next time we're there.

Yum, I remember the pibian de pollo we had in an excellent restaurant in
Mérida Yucatan. The food we had in Mérida, Mérida state, Venezuela was more
limited, though the trucha was wonderful.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
Leichtman

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Leichtman wrote:
>

> > It was as wonderful as ever. Only new restaurant was Swig which serves
> > mostly asian tapas. Everyone seems to have gotten on the tapas craze. El
> > Encanto which serves food from central Mexico (Mexico City, Oaxaca,
> > Puelba and Merida is also a new one for me.

> Me too. You sure you mean Mérida? It's in the Yucatan, not central MX.
> Sounds
> good, regardless. I'll make a note to try it the next time we're there.
>
> > <SNIP great list of restos>

> Last time we were there, we had a great meal at Geronimo. Anasazi and
> Santacafe I
> am less enthusiastic about (but still good).
>
> Thanks very much for such a thorough description. I almost feel as if I had
> been
> there (and I've resolved to go next year). I am a bit worried, though, that
> the
> foreign contingent there seemed less interesting. Personally, I think that
> some
> of the best matches for Southwestern cooking don't come from the US (Alsace,
> the
> Loire and NZ f'rinstance).
>
> Mark Lipton

Yeah Merida did yucatectan barbecue in banana leaves. I know it's not
central Mexico but certainly truly a Mexican cuisine. I too was
disappointed in the quality of non-American wines there. Only very large
wine groups that showed almost anything even though not related to each
other such as a company exhibiting wines from New Zealand Spain and
France together with none being particualrly memorable. Sherry was well
represented this time with Gonzalez Byass, Lustau and Tio Pepe all
represented. Grahams, Warre, Quinto de Noval, Taylor and Broadbent all
had representative ports as well. I went to a class on tapas and
sherries and had an example of every sherry type including palo cortado
which I had never tasted. The tapas were great too from El Farol.