FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: value in a Viognier (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/22788-re-tn-value-viognier.html)

Mark Lipton 30-09-2003 05:44 PM

TN: value in a Viognier

Dale Williams wrote:

In article , Mark Lipton
writes:

imported to the US by Robert Kacher)

Overall, clear varietal
character

Not neccesarily phrases one always sees together. :)

Actually, that's not fair. Kacher's wines are I guess usually true to grape,
though it can be hard to determine area.

Well, to be fair to him, most of his portfolio that I've tried has been from
the Rhone Valley. His selections there I find to be very high quality with
good "typicity." YMMV, though.

Thanks for the notes, one to look for. When I first discovered
Viognier/Condrieu, I drank quite a bit. Now it's something I look for maybe
once every 3 months. But it's nice to see a good one under $15!

Funny, isn't it? I began my "ABC" phase with Viognier, but then got
disaffected with it: too pricey and/or inconsistent. Now I drink far more SB
and Pinot Gris than Viognier.

Mark Lipton

Chuck Reid 30-09-2003 07:23 PM

TN: value in a Viognier

"Mark Lipton" wrote in message

Funny, isn't it? I began my "ABC" phase with Viognier, but then got
disaffected with it: too pricey and/or inconsistent. Now I drink far more

SB
and Pinot Gris than Viognier.

Mark Lipton

Greetings Mark;

Some things don't change anywhere in the world. Viognier lovers suffer the
same abuse here in the Niagara area; the wine is either thin and lacks the
varietal flavours one hankers for or it has it all and is priced in the
stratosphere. I guess the same can be said for virtually all wines.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

Dale Williams 30-09-2003 08:23 PM

TN: value in a Viognier

In article , Mark Lipton
writes:

Well, to be fair to him, most of his portfolio that I've tried has been from
the Rhone Valley. His selections there I find to be very high quality with
good "typicity." YMMV, though.

The only Kacher Rhone I'm familiar with is the Santa Duc Gigondas, which is
usually tasty in a oaky/forward way. My semi-snideness I think probably comes
from some of the Kacher Burgundies. Where some of the producers have changed
their wines to meet his unfined/unfilltered/heavy new oak preferences.

Funny, isn't it? I began my "ABC" phase with Viognier, but then got
disaffected with it: too pricey and/or inconsistent. Now I drink far more SB
and Pinot Gris than Viognier.

Sounds a lot like me. Thought by ABC phase could never get me to give up on
Chablis :)

Best,

Dale

Dale Williams