Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Dinner wines

I went to a holiday dinner sponsored by a local wine shop last night.
We started the evening with:
Domaine Bott Geyl Cremant d' Alsace "Paul-Edouard" Brut-a bit fruity a
simple with predominant flavors of slightly oxidized apples finishing
with a soft mousse. B-/C+

Domaine Bott Geyl Pinot Gris Sonnenglanz GC 2005-more residual sugar
than I prefer and not a great match for the seared scallop dish.
Fairly sweet with apricot and pear notes. Soft on the finish and just
a bit short on acidity. B-

2004 "La Palazetta" Brunello di Montalcino-first glass was corked.
Second showed pronounced woody flavors, a bit of cherry and asian
spice. B-

2007 Domaine la Guintrandy CdR Village Visan VV-aroma of Luden's
cherry cough drop. Fairly heavy on the palate with black cherry and a
bit of black dirt minerality. "B-"

2004 Mauro Veglio Barolo Vigneto Arborino-Somewhere between new and
old style. A bit fruit forward on the nose with a bit of tar and
roses. Upfront red berry and currant with a fairly soft tannin
finish. Seemed to be lacking acidity. "B"

2007 Bodegas Campo Negro Malbec-Black in the glass. Black currant,
black coffee and black licorice. Kinda black. "C+"

2008 Bricco del Sole Moscato-soft, sweet and frizzante. A bit of
peach and pear fruit not my cup of tea for a finisher. "C-"

I had more fun chatting with old friends than I did enjoying the wines
but nothing was horrible and except for the Brunello and the Barolo
everything was at or below $20 USD.

Dinner Wines Bi!! Wine 0 27-09-2010 03:45 PM
Dinner Wines Bi!! Wine 0 14-12-2009 01:08 PM
Dinner Wines Bi!! Wine 9 05-04-2009 02:14 AM
Various wines with dinner Bi!! Wine 7 29-04-2008 02:49 PM