FoodBanter.com

-   -   Suggestions for dinner wine (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/179640-suggestions-dinner-wine.html)

Robb in Austin 07-12-2009 10:17 PM

Suggestions for dinner wine

Howdy all!

Here is tonight's menu:
pork tenderloin 2 ways(raspberry chipotle, sesame ginger teryaki),
fresh steamed broccoli, rosemary red potatoes.

What do I serve with it?
Options available to me:
cab/cab blends, bonarda, malbec, a few zins, cote du rhone, petite
sirah, pinot, sauv blanc, champers

Ideas?
TIA,
Robb in Austin

Anders Tørneskog 07-12-2009 11:08 PM

Suggestions for dinner wine

"Robb in Austin" > skrev i melding
> Howdy all!
>
> Here is tonight's menu:
> pork tenderloin 2 ways(raspberry chipotle, sesame ginger teryaki),
> fresh steamed broccoli, rosemary red potatoes.
>
> What do I serve with it?
> Options available to me:
> cab/cab blends, bonarda, malbec, a few zins, cote du rhone, petite
> sirah, pinot, sauv blanc, champers
>
> Ideas?

Austin is Texas, isn't it? I'd go for a Shiraz from Oz - but a zin is close
enough, imho
Anders
Oslo, Norway

Robb in Austin 07-12-2009 11:12 PM

Suggestions for dinner wine

On Dec 7, 4:08*pm, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "Robb in Austin" > skrev i ...> Howdy all!
>
> > Here is tonight's menu:
> > pork tenderloin 2 ways(raspberry chipotle, sesame ginger teryaki),
> > fresh steamed broccoli, rosemary red potatoes.

> > What do I serve with it?
> > Options available to me:
> > cab/cab blends, bonarda, malbec, a few zins, cote du rhone, petite
> > sirah, pinot, sauv blanc, champers

> > Ideas?

> Austin is Texas, isn't it? I'd go for a Shiraz from Oz - but a zin is close
> enough, imho
> Anders
> Oslo, Norway

Texas, correct.

Thanks for the input.
Robb

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 07-12-2009 11:27 PM

Suggestions for dinner wine

In article
Robb in Austin > wrote:

> On Dec 7, 4:08*pm, "Anders Tørneskog" >
> wrote:
> > "Robb in Austin" > skrev i
> >
> > m...> Howdy all!
> >
> > > Here is tonight's menu:
> > > pork tenderloin 2 ways(raspberry chipotle, sesame ginger teryaki),
> > > fresh steamed broccoli, rosemary red potatoes.

> > > What do I serve with it?
> > > Options available to me:
> > > cab/cab blends, bonarda, malbec, a few zins, cote du rhone, petite
> > > sirah, pinot, sauv blanc, champers

> > > Ideas?

> > Austin is Texas, isn't it? I'd go for a Shiraz from Oz - but a zin is close
> > enough, imho
> > Anders
> > Oslo, Norway

> Texas, correct.
>
> Thanks for the input.
> Robb

Tempranillo is also a good match for this.

Robb in Austin 07-12-2009 11:39 PM

Suggestions for dinner wine

> Tempranillo is also a good match for this.

Ohhhh, nice call. That may be the winner.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 08-12-2009 12:48 AM

Robb in Austin wrote:
> Howdy all!
>
> Here is tonight's menu:
> pork tenderloin 2 ways(raspberry chipotle, sesame ginger teryaki),
> fresh steamed broccoli, rosemary red potatoes.
>
> What do I serve with it?
> Options available to me:
> cab/cab blends, bonarda, malbec, a few zins, cote du rhone, petite
> sirah, pinot, sauv blanc, champers

It sounds to me like both preparations of the pork might be a touch
sweet. If so, I'd be tempted to try a bigger white wine such as a
Riesling Spätlese or Grüner Veltliner Smaragd. If those wines aren't
available, how about a Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris?

Mark Lipton

Robb in Austin 08-12-2009 03:39 AM

Suggestions for dinner wine

> It sounds to me like both preparations of the pork might be a touch
> sweet. *If so, I'd be tempted to try a bigger white wine such as a
> Riesling Spätlese or Grüner Veltliner Smaragd. *If those wines aren't
> available, how about a Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Thanks for the ideas Mark. My thoughts were wandering towards a
interesting white as well.
As it turned out, we only cooked the raspberry chipotle tenderloin. By
itself the marinade is very sweet, but it was not once cooked. It was
barely making it's presence known.

I made a quick trip to the grocery store for a loaf of La Brea bakery
roasted garlic sourdough(wonderful bread) and a tempranillo as
suggested by Lawrence. HEB didn't have anything I wanted so I stopped
by the bottle shop in the same parking lot. Left with a 2002 Campo
Viejo Rioja Reserva Tempranillo. Um, wow. Stood up very well with the
pork and garlic bread. The roasted Parmesan/rosemary red potatoes went
nicely too. I was careful with the broccoli, not sipping just after a
bite.

In the glass; garnet/purple center fading to a brick red.
On the nose; I'm not sure what I smell but I like. A little 'warm' but
not in a alcohol way. I think I note chocolate covered cherries; SWMBO
says no. Maybe some oak/vanilla.
Palate; nicely balanced to me. Tannins ok, ever so slightly
astringent, medium bodied, some more chocolate covered cherries to me
(which I don't even like).

On the Dale Scale(tm) I give it a solid B+. A- based on $13/btl.
Will be going back for a few more.

Thanks for the ideas,
Robb

st.helier[_3_] 08-12-2009 08:19 AM

Suggestions for dinner wine

Mark Lipton wrote.....
>> It sounds to me like both preparations of the pork might be a touch
>> sweet. If so, I'd be tempted to try a bigger white wine such as a
>> Riesling Spätlese or Grüner Veltliner Smaragd. If those wines aren't
>> available, how about a Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris?

And "Robb in Austin" responded...

>Thanks for the ideas Mark. My thoughts were wandering towards a
>interesting white as well.

I am with Mark on this one - Pork, ginger - everything screams
gewürztraminer.

I would be as bold as to suggest a Trimbach "Cuvee des Seigneurs de
Ribeaupierre" - if it is available near you.

Regards

st.helier

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 08-12-2009 09:35 PM

Robb in Austin > wrote:

> > It sounds to me like both preparations of the pork might be a touch
> > sweet. *If so, I'd be tempted to try a bigger white wine such as a
> > Riesling Spätlese or Grüner Veltliner Smaragd. *If those wines aren't
> > available, how about a Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris?
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Thanks for the ideas Mark. My thoughts were wandering towards a
> interesting white as well.
> As it turned out, we only cooked the raspberry chipotle tenderloin. By
> itself the marinade is very sweet, but it was not once cooked. It was
> barely making it's presence known.
>
> I made a quick trip to the grocery store for a loaf of La Brea bakery
> roasted garlic sourdough(wonderful bread) and a tempranillo as
> suggested by Lawrence. HEB didn't have anything I wanted so I stopped
> by the bottle shop in the same parking lot. Left with a 2002 Campo
> Viejo Rioja Reserva Tempranillo. Um, wow. Stood up very well with the
> pork and garlic bread. The roasted Parmesan/rosemary red potatoes went
> nicely too. I was careful with the broccoli, not sipping just after a
> bite.
>
> In the glass; garnet/purple center fading to a brick red.
> On the nose; I'm not sure what I smell but I like. A little 'warm' but
> not in a alcohol way. I think I note chocolate covered cherries; SWMBO
> says no. Maybe some oak/vanilla.
> Palate; nicely balanced to me. Tannins ok, ever so slightly
> astringent, medium bodied, some more chocolate covered cherries to me
> (which I don't even like).
>
> On the Dale Scale(tm) I give it a solid B+. A- based on $13/btl.
> Will be going back for a few more.
>
> Thanks for the ideas,
> Robb

Sounds like a good match. I get a little chocolate chip cookie nose to
that one.