Posted to alt.food.wine

Default December Lunch Notes

Lunch notes:

2005 Voge Fleur de Crussol St. Peray – this Northern Rhone white
showed citrus nose with an almost but not quite menthol element, nice
flavours and good acidity. Good.

2004 Dagueneau Pur Sang – a nice treat. Clean gooseberry aromas, sweet
entry on palate and a ton of acidity. Some ripe cantaloupe.

1990 Jean Bourdy Cotes de Jura Blanc– some colour, and an interesting
nose with some oxidation, but lots of complexity –a ton of old chard
flavour and reasonable length. Interesting curiosity.

1982 Bourdy Cotes de Jura Rouge – a Pinot, Poulsard and Trousseau
blend that looked like an old faded pinot noir. No fruit left, some
sweetness in the nose and only acidity in the finish.

1982 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle – I brought this because some of
the attendees hadn’t been at my La Chapelle dinner, and the ones that
had tasted a 1982 I thought was inferior. This turned out to be far
better, showing a Rhone nose, good colour, smooth sweet entry and
excellent length.

1982 Ch. La Lagune – also my wine – after all, it is Christmas soon.
Nice sweet fruit in the nose, sweet in the mouth with some tannin, and
good length. No rush, in excellent shape. A fun pair to choose
between.

1989 Ch. Pichon Baron – a sadly corked wine that nonetheless still
showed good body and fruit. For some reason I skipped this and my
cellar brackets it with 1988 and 1990.

1998 Le Machiole Paleo Rosso – a blend of 85% cab sauv, 10% cab franc
and 5% sangiovese. Big fruit in the nose with lots of cherry, seemed
so much like a California cabernet!

1997 Poggio Salvi Brunello – I’m not familiar with this producer, but
liked the wine a lot. Real vitamin tablet nose, and some up front
tannins that hit you before you got far into it. Sweet entry, very
good length, good acidity.

1986 Grahams Malvedos Port – obviously Port, but seemed so young and
unevolved. Not as sweet as Grahams often is, but hot. Needs time.
Pleased to see I have a half case. Not in any hurry about this one!

Nice December lunch. And to all a good night!

Feb. Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 11-03-2008 04:36 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 28-02-2005 02:25 AM
December Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 3 22-12-2004 05:21 AM
May Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 3 24-05-2004 06:31 AM
December Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 0 13-12-2003 06:35 PM