Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER at my place- Piedmont, Alsace, CA, Burgundy, Champagne,Port

Last night SOBER met at my place. Betsy made a nice meal, and we had
some cheeses from a new place in Bronxville. I set up my wine station
on the washer and dryer so no one could spy the wines being served
blind, the basement is at a nice holding temp of about 60 right now.

My notes are even more rudimentary than useful, instead of my usual
stream of consciousness scribblings I was making notes when I went
down for next flight.

As people arrived we had a non-blind wine, the 1997 Philipponnat "Clos
des Goisses" Champagne Brut. I liked this quite a lot, although
someone commented on the softness for Clos des Goisses. Citrus and
green apple, a chalky/stony minerality. This is pretty much a drink
now, but a fun drink now! Wish I had gotten another one or two at
Posner's closeout. B+

On to the doubleblind (but not for me) wines

Flight 1 (with a gingery seafood risotto)

1989 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Riesling Vendange Tardive
I got to give Gilman credit. His guesses in order were "Alsace",
"Vendange Tardive", "Trimbach" and "1989" Really lovely wine, maybe
my WOTN, long, precise, focused. Good acidity, big on palate, citrus
and a bit of petrol. A-/A

1990 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Riesling Vendange Tardive
Several thought this German. More apparent sweetness (though still
basically dry), quite minerally, long. Some people liked it much less
than the 1989, but for me they were pretty close. I thought lovely. A-

We paused from our blind festivities to make a toast to the hostess,
as today is Betsy's birthday, and the actual party isn't till next
week. So I poured the 1959 Marques de Murrieta Ygay Gran Reserva.
Perfect label so I assume recent release, the gunky cork is clearly
original. Showing well and quite young, midbodied with a slightly
lifted nose. Red fruits accented with spice and citrus zest. A-

Flight 2
1985 Phelps "Backus" Cabernet Sauvignon
Craig quickly said both wines from same producer. John went Cal Cab.
The Backus got general approval around table, solid black plum and
currants, big dose of mint/eucalyptus, resolving tannins. A-/B+

1987 Phelps "Eisele" Cabernet Sauvignon
This provoked some debate, some feeling it was too woody. Certainly
suffers from being served next to the Backus, riper wine that is maybe
entering decline. But served by itself I would have been happy with
it. B

Flight 3
I served this just before the beef in Barolo (well, actually beef in
Barbaresco) made it to the table, to keep from giving hint. Initial
guesses from nose centered on Cabernet, and then Sangiovese. Once they
were on Nebbiolo, they quickly got which was Barbaresco and which
Barolo, and vintage. Beef was served with potatoes and crispy kale.

1985 Prunotto "Rabaja" Barbaresco
Nose is not very Nebbioloish, dark fruits, leather. On palate more
apparent- redder fruits, tar (remember, not blind for me, so I'm
looking for this), resolved tannins. B+

1985 Marcarini "Brunate" Barolo
A little VA, bigger, red and black fruits, good length, still some
tannin. No hurry on this one. B+

Flight 4
1971 Renato Ratti "Marcenasco" Barolo
My intention was to open to check for corkiness and let these slowly
oxygenate. But when I went to open this just before guests arrived,
cork was like sawdust. I decanted through a filter, and a rather foul
smelling light color browning wine came out. The bottle had more
sediment that I have ever seen other than MAYBE a VP. Since a couple
people couldn't make it, I had decided to skip flight 5, but added
back in as I expected this to be undrinkable. But lo and behold, when
I went down for the first flight, the color had deepened. And the foul
smell had blown off. And by time it was served (about 3 hours after
opening) it was a perfectly nice mature Barolo. Good acids, red and
black cherries, wet moss, tar. The miracle bottle. F on opening, B+/A-
later.

1971 F. Rinaldi Barolo
I didn't actually write anything down for this other than "some VA" ,
I know I thought it a pleasant mature Barolo, but preferred the Ratti.

Flight 5
1983 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune
I said it was a much maligned vintage, and 1983 Burgundy was quickly
guessed. John went Pommard and then Beaune, and got the CdM. Craig
said he got a little rot, to me I couldn't find it. A nice bowl of
cherries with a bit of cedar and dirt. Great showing for the vintage. B
+/A-

1989 Drouhin Charmes-Chambertin
This was servicable, but maybe my least favorite red of the night.
Clearly Burgundy (even to those tasting blind), ripe, low acid, a bit
short, with a slight horsey note. OK, but the 1er cru kicked the GC's
butt. B-

Flight 6
1963 Warres Vintage Port
Mark and I had each gotten this at a good price recently from Pops, so
he wasn't allowed guesses. I think initial guesses were in 70s, but
overall they got vintage quickly (producer, not so fast). Fig paste,
spices, nice if not profound. B+

1972 Mayacamas Late Harvest Zinfandel
It was kinda funny because at first Mark thought this was the port,
and had a "uh oh I own this?" look on his face. Several people thought
it was port, but then Craig said late harvest Cali Cab. Pretty close!
This is an interesting and kind of weird wine, a changing palette of
herb notes- one minute oregano, then mint,. then green tobacco leaf,
etc. All over a fruit base of raisins and ripe plums with some cocoa.

I had shocked everyone by serving no Bordeaux! Fun night, most of the
wines showed as well as I could have hoped, fun people to host.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 4, 11:03�am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
>
> 1972 Mayacamas Late Harvest Zinfandel
> It was kinda funny because at first Mark thought this was the port,
> and had a "uh oh I own this?" look on his face. Several people thought
> it was port, but then Craig said late harvest Cali Cab. Pretty close!
> This is an interesting and kind of weird wine, a changing palette of
> herb notes- one minute oregano, then mint,. then green tobacco leaf,
> etc. All over a fruit base of raisins and ripe plums with some cocoa.
>
> I had shocked everyone by serving no Bordeaux! Fun night, most of the
> wines showed as well as I could have hoped, fun people to host.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent�wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't�drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no�promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of

SOunds like a fun line-up thanks for the notes. I have a bottle of
the '87 Phelps Eisele that I planning on opening for the New Year.
I'll report on it.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 4, 12:09*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> [...]

> > it was port, but then Craig said late harvest Cali Cab. Pretty close!
> > This is an interesting and kind of weird wine, a changing palette of
> > herb notes- one minute oregano, then mint,. then green tobacco leaf,
> > etc. All over a fruit base of raisins and ripe plums with some cocoa.

> > I had shocked everyone by serving no Bordeaux! Fun night, most of the
> > wines showed as well as I could have hoped, fun people to host.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.

> SOunds like a fun line-up thanks for the notes. *I have a bottle of
> the '87 Phelps Eisele that I planning on opening for the New Year.

Probably the wine with biggest disparities in views last night. A few
thought it too woody and tannic. I thought it was a bit low acid for
my tastes, and tannic, but not awfully so. Overall a nice wine, but
I'd wonder if it would begin to dry out soon.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> [...]
>
> 1972 Mayacamas Late Harvest Zinfandel
> It was kinda funny because at first Mark thought this was the port,
> and had a "uh oh I own this?" look on his face. Several people thought
> it was port, but then Craig said late harvest Cali Cab. Pretty close!
> This is an interesting and kind of weird wine, a changing palette of
> herb notes- one minute oregano, then mint,. then green tobacco leaf,
> etc. All over a fruit base of raisins and ripe plums with some cocoa.
>
> I had shocked everyone by serving no Bordeaux! Fun night, most of the
> wines showed as well as I could have hoped, fun people to host.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of

Have you had the Marques de Murrieta for a long time. That is amazing
longevity for an inexpensive wine at the time but now over $600 per
bottle.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:03:22 -0800, DaleW wrote:

> We paused from our blind festivities to make a toast to the hostess, as
> today is Betsy's birthday, and the actual party isn't till next week. So
> I poured the 1959 Marques de Murrieta Ygay Gran Reserva. Perfect label
> so I assume recent release, the gunky cork is clearly original. Showing
> well and quite young, midbodied with a slightly lifted nose. Red fruits
> accented with spice and citrus zest. A-

Ah, 1959 Murrieta brings back fond memories of the great era of Spanish
wines IMHO. I used to purchase many of them at attractive prices because
Spanish = Dictator Franco in many people's minds, which made them very
"politically incorrect." The recent vintages of Murrieta have not been as
interesting to me for a number of reasons.

Godzilla

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 4, 4:42*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> [...]

> > it was port, but then Craig said late harvest Cali Cab. Pretty close!
> > This is an interesting and kind of weird wine, a changing palette of
> > herb notes- one minute oregano, then mint,. then green tobacco leaf,
> > etc. All over a fruit base of raisins and ripe plums with some cocoa.

> > I had shocked everyone by serving no Bordeaux! Fun night, most of the
> > wines showed as well as I could have hoped, fun people to host.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.**

> Have you had the Marques de Murrieta for a long time. That is amazing
> longevity for an inexpensive wine at the time but now over $600 per

No, got it this year! We got married in 2001, and I've been looking
for bottles for this birthday since. I had managed to accumulate a few
assorted comparatively low end 59s from various regions, but not the
Ygay. I tasted and loved the '59 CVNE Vina Real, and mentioned it to
Mark Golodetz, who said the Ygay was stunning value for under $200.
But it was always more expensive when I saw, and I lost out on several
auction lots. And then this fall I just stumbled on it for $199.
Obvious recent release.
I have 3 remaining 59s (a Loire, a Sauternes, and a St Julien) which
will be opened Tues for her official party. So far so good, keeping
fingers crossed.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 17:54:29 -0800, DaleW wrote:

> I tasted and loved the '59 CVNE Vina Real, and mentioned it to Mark
> Golodetz, who said the Ygay was stunning value for under $200.

The CVNE Vina Real '59 was possibly the most memorable red that I have
ever enjoyed. I recall opening it when it was either 25 or 30 years of
age. On the Davis 20 scale, I gave it a 19-1/2. Computers not being
around in those days, I only possess mental notes and cannot fathom the
reason that I withheld the 1/2 point, or perhaps I did give it a "20."

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> [...]

> > > consistency.**

> > Have you had the Marques de Murrieta for a long time. That is amazing
> > longevity for an inexpensive wine at the time but now over $600 per
> > bottle.

> No, got it this year! We got married in 2001, and I've been looking
> for bottles for this birthday since. I had managed to accumulate a few
> assorted comparatively low end 59s from various regions, but not the
> Ygay. I tasted and loved the '59 CVNE Vina Real, and mentioned it to
> Mark Golodetz, who said the Ygay was stunning value for under $200.
> But it was always more expensive when I saw, and I lost out on several
> auction lots. And then this fall I just stumbled on it for $199.
> Obvious recent release.
> I have 3 remaining 59s (a Loire, a Sauternes, and a St Julien) which
> will be opened Tues for her official party. So far so good, keeping

That is indeed a great buy. Sounds like a great birthday celebration.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> We paused from our blind festivities to make a toast to the hostess,
> as today is Betsy's birthday, and the actual party isn't till next
> week. So I poured the 1959 Marques de Murrieta Ygay Gran Reserva.
> Perfect label so I assume recent release, the gunky cork is clearly
> original. Showing well and quite young, midbodied with a slightly
> lifted nose. Red fruits accented with spice and citrus zest. A-

What a fantastic lineup of wines, Dale. You guys really put on a show.
I'm glad to hear that the '59 Ygay showed as well as it did, given all
the uncertainties of opening 50-year-old wines. Good luck with your
remaining '59s and again, Happy Birthday to Betsy!

Mark Lipton