Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Barolo, plus Rioja and MSR at a Persian place

Tuesday I spent some time at a dinner for some needy friends, then
stopped by the Marriot to see my parents (Betsy had picked them up
from airport). Got home to some pasta Bolognese she had left for me,
opened a 375 of the 2004 Giovanni Rosso "Serralunga" Barolo. Drinking
pretty well right off the bat, floral nose, midweight Nebbiolo with
red fruit, no oak I can find. Some tannins, but ripe/supple. B+/B

Wednesday we went with Dave, Betsy's parents, and my parents to a
Persian restaurant in Elmsford. Nice appetizers of hummus, eggplant
and spinach with yogurt; most had kebabs but I went with a delicious
meat stew with lentils, eggplant, and pomegranite. I carried along 2
wines:

2007 Selbach Oster "Zeltinger Sonnenuhr" Kabinett
Fresh, lively, lime and apple over a slately mineral base. Very good
acids, light on palate but with good concentration. Lovely B+/A-

2000 Muga Rioja Reserva
Seemed tired and light on fruit and acid, some tannins still hanging
on. I carried leftovers home and it showed a bit better, fruit
rounding out. Good but not special. This was tannic and oaky when
released, if there was a better time to drink it passed me by. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 4 07-05-2016 11:51 PM
TN: mostly Rioja at a Basque place in Chelsea DaleW Wine 0 10-09-2013 03:28 PM
Persian Rice. James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 4 31-10-2009 10:29 PM
Persian food Amanda Asian Cooking 10 04-06-2006 05:24 PM
Persian Rice Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 19-03-2005 04:01 AM