Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Huet, Gardine, Beychevelle, San Giorgio, Panascal

Blind tasting notes:

2000 Huet Vouvray Le Mont – this dry Vouvray was sadly lacking.
Colour a bit darker than I’d have expected, sweetish nose, but simply
lacked fruit on palate, ending after a gap with acidity. Not oxidized
but somehow damaged and with a very short finish.

1996 Faustino I Rioja Gran Riserva – bright rim, leather and plum nose
with some dill, medium body, good acidity, short finish.

1998 Ch. de la Gardine CNduP – mellow sweetish mature nose with anise
and a bit of tar plus a bit of cedar, smooth in mouth, decent body,
medium length, some soft tannin ready but no rush – good showing.

1982 Ch. Beychevelle – very nice claret nose with some earth and
currant, medium bodied, fairly soft and forward now but no rush. Nice
wine.

2003 Takler Kadarka – brought back from Hungary and we wished he
hadn’t bothered. This wine would have best served had it been
inflicted on the people that perpetrated it. Slightly musty sweet
nose, slightly sweet entry, bland flat middle and short finish. Blah!

1997 Les Cailloux – turbid wine with spritz. Nice try, but…..

1999 Ruffino Modus – internationally styled wine from a Chianti
producer. This IGT has cab, sangio and merlot. Big sweet nose, lots of
fruit, decent length. Could have been made just about anywhere in the
world.

1998 Castelgioconda Brunello – strange almost total absence of nose at
the start gradually changed to show a bit of fruit (cherry) in the
nose, but never attained normality. Good body and tons of acidity
gave away the country of origin. Aside from the bizarre nose, it
showed decently.

1990 Lungarotti San Giorgo – wet stone and mellow berry fruit in the
nose of this Umbrian IGT (cab/sangio/canaiolo) and a warm and friendly
welcome on palate, still showing surprising tannin. The wine shows age
at the edge, which is lightening, but not much in the rest of its
presentation which indicates it still has a long life ahead. Much
bigger and brawnier than the 1988 we had recently.

1991 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Port – this was still too young, but
had primary flavours working away in a dark, hot, sweet wine, and they
are starting to integrate. Should be nice in a few more years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 21, 10:49*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Blind tasting notes:
>
> 2000 Huet Vouvray Le Mont – this dry Vouvray was sadly lacking.
> Colour a bit darker than I’d have expected, sweetish nose, but simply
> lacked fruit on palate, ending after a gap with acidity. Not oxidized
> but somehow damaged and with a very short finish.
>
> 1996 Faustino I Rioja Gran Riserva – bright rim, leather and plum nose
> with some dill, medium body, good acidity, short finish.
>
> 1998 Ch. de la Gardine CNduP – mellow sweetish mature nose *with anise
> and a bit of tar plus a bit of cedar, smooth in mouth, decent body,
> medium length, some soft tannin ready but no rush – good showing.
>
> 1982 Ch. Beychevelle – very nice claret nose with some earth and
> currant, medium bodied, fairly soft and forward now but no rush. *Nice
> wine.
>
> 2003 Takler Kadarka – brought back from Hungary and we wished he
> hadn’t bothered. This wine would have best served had it been
> inflicted on the people that perpetrated it. *Slightly musty sweet
> nose, slightly sweet entry, bland flat middle and short finish. Blah!
>
> 1997 Les Cailloux – turbid wine with spritz. Nice try, but…..
>
> 1999 Ruffino Modus – internationally styled wine from a Chianti
> producer. This IGT has cab, sangio and merlot. Big sweet nose, lots of
> fruit, decent length. *Could have been made just about anywhere in the
> world.
>
> 1998 Castelgioconda Brunello – strange almost total absence of nose at
> the start gradually changed to show a bit of fruit (cherry) in the
> nose, but never attained normality. *Good body and tons of acidity
> gave away the country of origin. Aside from the bizarre nose, it
> showed decently.
>
> 1990 Lungarotti San Giorgo – wet stone and mellow berry fruit in the
> nose of this Umbrian IGT (cab/sangio/canaiolo) and a warm and friendly
> welcome on palate, still showing surprising tannin. The wine shows age
> at the edge, which is lightening, but not much in the rest of its
> presentation which indicates it still has a long life ahead. *Much
> bigger and brawnier than the 1988 we had recently.
>
> 1991 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Port – this was still too young, but
> had primary flavours working away in a dark, hot, sweet wine, and they
> are starting to integrate. *Should be nice in a few more years.

You go to the best blind tastings!! Thanks for the notes. FYI, I
just had the Huet and it was fine so you must of had a bad bottle.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 21, 10:49*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Blind tasting notes:
>
> 2000 Huet Vouvray Le Mont – this dry Vouvray was sadly lacking.
> Colour a bit darker than I’d have expected, sweetish nose, but simply
> lacked fruit on palate, ending after a gap with acidity. Not oxidized
> but somehow damaged and with a very short finish.
>
> 1996 Faustino I Rioja Gran Riserva – bright rim, leather and plum nose
> with some dill, medium body, good acidity, short finish.
>
> 1998 Ch. de la Gardine CNduP – mellow sweetish mature nose *with anise
> and a bit of tar plus a bit of cedar, smooth in mouth, decent body,
> medium length, some soft tannin ready but no rush – good showing.
>
> 1982 Ch. Beychevelle – very nice claret nose with some earth and
> currant, medium bodied, fairly soft and forward now but no rush. *Nice
> wine.
>
> 2003 Takler Kadarka – brought back from Hungary and we wished he
> hadn’t bothered. This wine would have best served had it been
> inflicted on the people that perpetrated it. *Slightly musty sweet
> nose, slightly sweet entry, bland flat middle and short finish. Blah!
>
> 1997 Les Cailloux – turbid wine with spritz. Nice try, but…..
>
> 1999 Ruffino Modus – internationally styled wine from a Chianti
> producer. This IGT has cab, sangio and merlot. Big sweet nose, lots of
> fruit, decent length. *Could have been made just about anywhere in the
> world.
>
> 1998 Castelgioconda Brunello – strange almost total absence of nose at
> the start gradually changed to show a bit of fruit (cherry) in the
> nose, but never attained normality. *Good body and tons of acidity
> gave away the country of origin. Aside from the bizarre nose, it
> showed decently.
>
> 1990 Lungarotti San Giorgo – wet stone and mellow berry fruit in the
> nose of this Umbrian IGT (cab/sangio/canaiolo) and a warm and friendly
> welcome on palate, still showing surprising tannin. The wine shows age
> at the edge, which is lightening, but not much in the rest of its
> presentation which indicates it still has a long life ahead. *Much
> bigger and brawnier than the 1988 we had recently.
>
> 1991 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Port – this was still too young, but
> had primary flavours working away in a dark, hot, sweet wine, and they
> are starting to integrate. *Should be nice in a few more years.

Nice notes. Beychevelle is never huge, but I often enjoy.
Thanks for notes on the La Gardine, will try soon.
Agree with Bill sounds like an off Huet
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 21, 3:23*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Nov 21, 10:49*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
>

> > Blind tasting notes:

> > 2000 Huet Vouvray Le Mont – this dry Vouvray was sadly lacking.
> > Colour a bit darker than I’d have expected, sweetish nose, but simply
> > lacked fruit on palate, ending after a gap with acidity. Not oxidized
> > but somehow damaged and with a very short finish.

> > 1996 Faustino I Rioja Gran Riserva – bright rim, leather and plum nose
> > with some dill, medium body, good acidity, short finish.

> > 1998 Ch. de la Gardine CNduP – mellow sweetish mature nose *with anise
> > and a bit of tar plus a bit of cedar, smooth in mouth, decent body,
> > medium length, some soft tannin ready but no rush – good showing.

> > 1982 Ch. Beychevelle – very nice claret nose with some earth and
> > currant, medium bodied, fairly soft and forward now but no rush. *Nice
> > wine.

> > 2003 Takler Kadarka – brought back from Hungary and we wished he
> > hadn’t bothered. This wine would have best served had it been
> > inflicted on the people that perpetrated it. *Slightly musty sweet
> > nose, slightly sweet entry, bland flat middle and short finish. Blah!

> > 1997 Les Cailloux – turbid wine with spritz. Nice try, but…..

> > 1999 Ruffino Modus – internationally styled wine from a Chianti
> > producer. This IGT has cab, sangio and merlot. Big sweet nose, lots of
> > fruit, decent length. *Could have been made just about anywhere in the
> > world.

> > 1998 Castelgioconda Brunello – strange almost total absence of nose at
> > the start gradually changed to show a bit of fruit (cherry) in the
> > nose, but never attained normality. *Good body and tons of acidity
> > gave away the country of origin. Aside from the bizarre nose, it
> > showed decently.

> > 1990 Lungarotti San Giorgo – wet stone and mellow berry fruit in the
> > nose of this Umbrian IGT (cab/sangio/canaiolo) and a warm and friendly
> > welcome on palate, still showing surprising tannin. The wine shows age
> > at the edge, which is lightening, but not much in the rest of its
> > presentation which indicates it still has a long life ahead. *Much
> > bigger and brawnier than the 1988 we had recently.

> > 1991 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal Port – this was still too young, but
> > had primary flavours working away in a dark, hot, sweet wine, and they
> > are starting to integrate. *Should be nice in a few more years.

> Nice notes. Beychevelle is never huge, but I often enjoy.
> Thanks for notes on the La Gardine, will try soon.
> Agree with Bill sounds like an off Huet- Hide quoted text -

Beychevelle is an oft overlooked wine in my cellar. I've stayed at
the Chateau twice and always bought a few bottles over the years. I
was never keen on the wine but I have a few bottles of '89 and '90
that could probably be ready to drink. I need to drink up.