FoodBanter.com

-   -   Savennieres : Clos de Papillon (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/178978-savennieres-clos-de-papillon.html)

pk 16-11-2009 04:53 PM

Savennieres : Clos de Papillon

As part of a Loire Food matched with Loire wine supper party next weekend,
I'm serving (among other things) Salmon with Beurre Blanc matched with
Domaine Du Closel Clos de Papillon, 2004. A friend is bringing a Baumard
Clos de Papillon (vintage unknown) to taste alongside.

Can the panel suggest what differences we might find?

The rest of the meal:

I have line up to display the versatility of Chenin:

Petillant Brut as Champagne lookalike
Champalou Fondraux Vouvray 2002 with Butternut squash veloute
Savennieres with Salmon & Beurre blanc
Domaine des Forges, Chaume AC with Tarte Tatin

I did consider a Pork in cream sauce for mains with another Chenin style,
but thought that would be overkill, so instead have gone for a coq au vin
(made with a cabernet franc!) with a Closel Anjou Villages plus a Chinon
Red from Charles Joguet which my friend is bringing. Lest it appear that I
diverge from the Loire theme... the coq au vin recipe is from the patron of
a chambre d'hôte in the Loire valley and is by far the best I have ever
cooked or tasted!!

Cheese will be with residuals of the above plus a rather nice Sancerre to
match the chevre.

pk

ronin 16-11-2009 07:36 PM

On 2009-11-16 08:53:27 -0800, "pk" > said:

> . Lest it appear that I diverge from the Loire theme... the coq au vin
> recipe is from the patron of a chambre d'hôte in the Loire valley and
> is by far the best I have ever cooked or tasted!!

So, care to share the recipe??

pk 16-11-2009 08:20 PM

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2009-11-16 08:53:27 -0800, "pk" > said:
>
>> . Lest it appear that I diverge from the Loire theme... the coq au vin
>> recipe is from the patron of a chambre d'hôte in the Loire valley and is
>> by far the best I have ever cooked or tasted!!

> So, care to share the recipe??

Will do, when I dig it out later in the week.

pk

Mark Lipton[_1_] 16-11-2009 08:36 PM

pk wrote:
> As part of a Loire Food matched with Loire wine supper party next
> weekend, I'm serving (among other things) Salmon with Beurre Blanc
> matched with Domaine Du Closel Clos de Papillon, 2004. A friend is
> bringing a Baumard Clos de Papillon (vintage unknown) to taste alongside.
>
> Can the panel suggest what differences we might find?

First of all, it sounds like a great event, one at which I was present.
To answer the question, most fans of Loire CB that I know prefer the
Closel version to the Baumard in most years. '04 is a fine year for
Savennieres, but it will all come down to what year the Baumard is. If
it has some age on it and comes from a year like '96 (or even '97) it
ought to be quite a different wine. In that event, it might even have
an oxidative character to it that some might find offputting.

Mark Lipton

JT 17-11-2009 12:21 PM

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2009-11-16 08:53:27 -0800, "pk" > said:
>
>> . Lest it appear that I diverge from the Loire theme... the coq au vin
>> recipe is from the patron of a chambre d'hôte in the Loire valley and is
>> by far the best I have ever cooked or tasted!!

> So, care to share the recipe??

beat me to it !!!

santiago 17-11-2009 01:12 PM

Savennieres : Clos de Papillon

In my somewhat limited experience, both Domaine du Closel and Baumard make
very good Savennières. I like to think of Baumard like a more polished and
refined wine, perhaps lacking a bit of that austerity that is typical in
young Savennières.

So, to me, Closel is a bit more on the terroir while Baumard is a bit more
commercial. But it is just my opinion based on three or four of their
bottles.

Actually, I have both wines in my smallish cellar. Baumard is a 2001 and
Closel is 2002 according to cellartracker. I am not in a hurry.

And tonight, I will be putting a tasting of different chenin blanc wines
from the Loire, for fun with friends. There is one Savennières 2007 from
Domaine de la Royauté in the tasting, along with a Vouvray from Huet, a
Montlouis from Chidaine, a Saumur from La Tour Grise and a Chinon by
Lenoir...

s.

pk 17-11-2009 04:33 PM

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2009-11-16 08:53:27 -0800, "pk" > said:
>
>> . Lest it appear that I diverge from the Loire theme... the coq au vin
>> recipe is from the patron of a chambre d'hôte in the Loire valley and is
>> by far the best I have ever cooked or tasted!!

> So, care to share the recipe??

http://www.francethisway.com/coqauvinrecipe.php

The real trick is converting the cooking juices to a intense glossy sauce by
reduction and thickening with Beurre manie

pk