Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '96 Drouhin Clos des Mouches

Tonight, after an exhausting week of dealing with a sick kindergartner,
I decided that we needed a good dinner. Andrew, coming off a day at
school after missing 3 days with a high fever, went to bed early tonight
at 7:30, so I smoked a pheasant on the grill and made a risotto Milanese
to accompany some sauteed late-season Bok Choy. This was a dish that
called for a Burgundy to me, so I fetched from the cellar one of our
older bottles:

1996 Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches
color: brick red, going orange at the rim
nose: initially, soy sauce, orange rind, spices, raspberry fruit; later
becoming more overtly spicy, with notes of tea leaves
palate: high acidity, medium-light body

After reading a few less-than-salutary reviews on Cellartracker, I
approached this wine with some concern, but found that it was totally
unfounded. First of all, the cork was as sound and pristine as I've
seen in a wine of this age. Secondly, although there were plenty of
tertiary elements, this was a wine still in its maturity. Very nice
with the smoked pheasant and risotto, which brought the fruit out of the
wine. Altogether fine, and very satisfying.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '96 Drouhin Clos des Mouches

On Nov 13, 10:25�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, after an exhausting week of dealing with a sick kindergartner,
> I decided that we needed a good dinner. �Andrew, coming off a day at
> school after missing 3 days with a high fever, went to bed early tonight
> at 7:30, so I smoked a pheasant on the grill and made a risotto Milanese
> to accompany some sauteed late-season Bok Choy. �This was a dish that
> called for a Burgundy to me, so I fetched from the cellar one of our
> older bottles:
>
> 1996 Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches
> color: brick red, going orange at the rim
> nose: initially, soy sauce, orange rind, spices, raspberry fruit; later
> becoming more overtly spicy, with notes of tea leaves
> palate: high acidity, medium-light body
>
> After reading a few less-than-salutary reviews on Cellartracker, I
> approached this wine with some concern, but found that it was totally
> unfounded. �First of all, the cork was as sound and pristine as I've
> seen in a wine of this age. �Secondly, although there were plenty of
> tertiary elements, this was a wine still in its maturity. �Very nice
> with the smoked pheasant and risotto, which brought the fruit out of the
> wine. �Altogether fine, and very satisfying.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Good to know....I have a few bottles left of the '96. Interesting
note on the soy element...I find it in all of the Clos de Mouches.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 13, 10:25*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, after an exhausting week of dealing with a sick kindergartner,
> I decided that we needed a good dinner. *Andrew, coming off a day at
> school after missing 3 days with a high fever, went to bed early tonight
> at 7:30, so I smoked a pheasant on the grill and made a risotto Milanese
> to accompany some sauteed late-season Bok Choy. *This was a dish that
> called for a Burgundy to me, so I fetched from the cellar one of our
> older bottles:
>
> 1996 Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches
> color: brick red, going orange at the rim
> nose: initially, soy sauce, orange rind, spices, raspberry fruit; later
> becoming more overtly spicy, with notes of tea leaves
> palate: high acidity, medium-light body
>
> After reading a few less-than-salutary reviews on Cellartracker, I
> approached this wine with some concern, but found that it was totally
> unfounded. *First of all, the cork was as sound and pristine as I've
> seen in a wine of this age. *Secondly, although there were plenty of
> tertiary elements, this was a wine still in its maturity. *Very nice
> with the smoked pheasant and risotto, which brought the fruit out of the
> wine. *Altogether fine, and very satisfying.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I generally really like this bottling. I just looked at CT, there's
really only one derogatory note, from a taster I don't recognize. The
fact that he decided a 96 was probably past it before he tasted makes
me a bit ....shall we say less likely to listen to him for Burgundy
advice.