Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '02 Ridge Geyserville turnaround

We fortuitously took advantage of the Indian Summer we are currently
enjoying by spending a weekend at a local State Park which, apart from
spectacular scenic beauty, is bereft of fine dining options. So, to
supplement meals at the Inn, we brought along a bottle of:

2002 Ridge Geyserville (84% Zin; 14% Carignan; 2% Petite Sirah)
nose [day 1]: dark fruit with an overlay of oak
palate [day 1]: full body, almost creamy feeling, balanced

After a day of sitting recorked at room temp, we tried it again:

nose [day 2]: dark fruit, earth, tarry
palate [day 2]: medium-full body, firm acidity, dark fruit, earth

What a transformation! Our initial impression was of a goopy, overly
oaky Zin, but by day 2 the wine had been transformed to a very
structured, taut wine with lots of complexity. Paul Draper's back notes
suggest drinking this wine from 2010-2013, but I'll suggest that it
could go much longer. This is a wine that'll benefit greatly from more
time.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the post. I have a few bottles of this, so may have to open one
up soon (and drink it the next day).

Mike Hagley
"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> We fortuitously took advantage of the Indian Summer we are currently
> enjoying by spending a weekend at a local State Park which, apart from
> spectacular scenic beauty, is bereft of fine dining options. So, to
> supplement meals at the Inn, we brought along a bottle of:
>
> 2002 Ridge Geyserville (84% Zin; 14% Carignan; 2% Petite Sirah)
> nose [day 1]: dark fruit with an overlay of oak
> palate [day 1]: full body, almost creamy feeling, balanced
>
> After a day of sitting recorked at room temp, we tried it again:
>
> nose [day 2]: dark fruit, earth, tarry
> palate [day 2]: medium-full body, firm acidity, dark fruit, earth
>
> What a transformation! Our initial impression was of a goopy, overly
> oaky Zin, but by day 2 the wine had been transformed to a very
> structured, taut wine with lots of complexity. Paul Draper's back notes
> suggest drinking this wine from 2010-2013, but I'll suggest that it
> could go much longer. This is a wine that'll benefit greatly from more
> time.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> We fortuitously took advantage of the Indian Summer we are currently
> enjoying by spending a weekend at a local State Park which, apart from
> spectacular scenic beauty, is bereft of fine dining options. So, to
> supplement meals at the Inn, we brought along a bottle of:
>
> 2002 Ridge Geyserville (84% Zin; 14% Carignan; 2% Petite Sirah)
> nose [day 1]: dark fruit with an overlay of oak
> palate [day 1]: full body, almost creamy feeling, balanced
>
> After a day of sitting recorked at room temp, we tried it again:
>
> nose [day 2]: dark fruit, earth, tarry
> palate [day 2]: medium-full body, firm acidity, dark fruit, earth
>
> What a transformation! Our initial impression was of a goopy, overly
> oaky Zin, but by day 2 the wine had been transformed to a very
> structured, taut wine with lots of complexity. Paul Draper's back notes
> suggest drinking this wine from 2010-2013, but I'll suggest that it
> could go much longer. This is a wine that'll benefit greatly from more
> time.
>
> Mark Lipton

I think Mr. Draper is correct. I plan on holding to at least 2011-12 on
mine as I had the exact experience Mark described.

[TN] '00 Ridge Geyserville DaleW Wine 0 21-01-2011 08:12 PM
[TN] '00 Ridge Geyserville Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 20-01-2011 04:09 AM
[TN] '01 Ridge Geyserville Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 17-01-2009 05:06 AM
05 Ridge Geyserville Ed Rasimus Wine 9 04-09-2007 09:07 PM
TN: '96 Ridge Geyserville Mark Lipton Wine 20 09-02-2006 06:48 AM