Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pinot Grigio

I've had inexpensive Pinot Grigio in the past, and never
thought too much about them until ...
A recent dinner where we made Orange Roughy Amandine
accompanied with white/wild rice, salad and biscuits.
The wine: Avantgarde Pinot Grigio 2005 Rheinhessen from
Germany. Alc. 12.5%
I don't have any eloquent tasting notes, but the wine was
superb with the fish, and I'll have to try more Pinot
Grigio in the future. The wine was gifted to me and I don't
think it was very expensive.
BTW: The bottle is beautiful, green with a partial diamond
shaped base and sides sloping up to the neck. I'm going to
keep the bottle for flowers or as a decorator item.
The unique bottle shape will be easy to spot at any wine
shop.

Dick in MN
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 5, 6:17*pm, dickr2 > wrote:
> I've had inexpensive Pinot Grigio in the past, and never
> thought too much about them until ...
> A recent dinner where we made Orange Roughy Amandine
> accompanied with white/wild rice, salad and biscuits.
> The wine: Avantgarde Pinot Grigio 2005 Rheinhessen from
> Germany. Alc. 12.5%
> I don't have any eloquent tasting notes, but the wine was
> superb with the fish, and I'll have to try more Pinot
> Grigio in the future. The wine was gifted to me and I don't
> think it was very expensive.
> BTW: The bottle is beautiful, green with a partial diamond
> shaped base and sides sloping up to the neck. I'm going to
> keep the bottle for flowers or as a decorator item.
> The unique bottle shape will be easy to spot at any wine
> shop.
>
> Dick in MN

Dick in MN:

Pinot grigio (known as pinot gris in France and America) is a white
wine with delicate aromas and flavors and at its best, it makes a
perfect food wine. To me it's not a particularly spectacular grape
like sauvignon blanc, but in Napa I'm more accustomed to powerhouse
wines (which don't necessarily go well with food).

What I most appreciate with pinot grigio is balance and finesse.
However, in warmer climates it often loses the charm of its fruit and
tastes rather bland and neutral. In California, it's almost a
disaster except in cool coastal districts. Oregon over the past ten
years has ripped out most of their chardonnay, which was always a
delight to me, in order to plant pinot gris. In fact, the state has
bet the farm on it. I think this was a mistake, but that's my personal
opinion.

I enjoy your recommendation. In fact, I never knew that pinot grigio
was being grown extensively in Germany, but cool continental climate
districts seem to make some exceptional pinot gris. You may find some
interesting pinot grigio from Austria and the bordering areas of
northern Italy, like Alto Adige.

Thanks for this post! I will seek out that wine.

--Bob
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bobchai wrote:

>I never knew that pinot grigio
> was being grown extensively in Germany

It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. It is
usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. Never
heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.

IMO it is a great variety, and very flexible in terms of matching with food.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Steve Slatcher" > skrev i melding
> Bobchai wrote:
>
>>I never knew that pinot grigio
>> was being grown extensively in Germany

> It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. It is
> usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. Never
> heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.

Wein-Plus lists Pinot Gris (with synonyms Grauburgunder and Ruländer) as
comprising 4.3% of the growing area in Germany - 4.413 hectares - about
11.000 acres, I believe

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

dickr2 > writes:

> I've had inexpensive Pinot Grigio in the past, and never
> thought too much about them until ...
> A recent dinner where we made Orange Roughy Amandine
> accompanied with white/wild rice, salad and biscuits.
> The wine: Avantgarde Pinot Grigio 2005 Rheinhessen from
> Germany. Alc. 12.5%
> I don't have any eloquent tasting notes, but the wine was
> superb with the fish, and I'll have to try more Pinot
> Grigio in the future. The wine was gifted to me and I don't
> think it was very expensive.

Pinot Gris (or whatever other name one calls it) is interesting. I
feel like the bulk of these wines that I taste are truly insipid in
the sense of being almost flavorless.

But, I've had examples (some from Alsace, mostly from Oregon, but that
is probably because of proximity in my case) that are truly delightful
wines at very modest prices ($11-$15).

From the internet, I suspect the wine you had was in this price range,
though it doesn't seem that widely distributed.

An Oregon pinot gris that I like a lot and that seems to be widely
distributed (in some Costcos for example) is this one:

http://www.willamettevalleyvineyards...oducts/core/#3

It is under $12 in Costco.

Another Oregon winery that is big (for Oregon), and thus has some
national distribution in the US, and has a good pinot gris is King
Estate, but I think the Willamette Valley Vineyards one mentioned
above is a better value.

And there are lots of smaller Oregon vineyards with good pinot gris
(and lots of insipid pinot gris from Oregon, but a much better
proportion of good wine than the pinot grigios I see from Italy).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 6, 6:49*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "Steve Slatcher" > skrev i ...> Bobchai wrote:
>
> >>I never knew that pinot grigio
> >> was being grown extensively in Germany

> > It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. *It is
> > usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. *Never
> > heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.

> Wein-Plus lists Pinot Gris (with synonyms Grauburgunder and Ruländer) as
> comprising 4.3% of the growing area in Germany - 4.413 hectares - about
> 11.000 acres, I believe

One of the traditional better known regions for this grape in Germany
is in Baden. In modern times the dry versions tend to be sold as
Grauburgunder and the sweeter versions as Rulander. I don't know about
Europe outside of Germany, but this wine in the higher quality form
does not seem to be easily available in many areas of the US. I still
have a few bottles of Bickensohler Steinfelsen Rulander Auslese 1976.
It is a very rich sweet wine with great intensity of taste and smell
and considerable complexity.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

| "Steve Slatcher" > skrev i melding
| > Bobchai wrote:
| >
| >>I never knew that pinot grigio
| >> was being grown extensively in Germany
| >
| > It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. It is
| > usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. Never
| > heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.
| >
| Wein-Plus lists Pinot Gris (with synonyms Grauburgunder and Ruländer) as
| comprising 4.3% of the growing area in Germany - 4.413 hectares - about
| 11.000 acres, I believe
|
| Anders

At a tasting held by Ernst Loosen a few weeks ago we sampled Dr. Loosen's
Villa Wolf Pinot Gris; it was a convincing wine, quite comparable to the
majority of Italian Pinot Grigios, perhaps slightly lighter and more subtle.
Apparently they have grown PG for quite a while:
http://www.jlwolf.com/wines_vines.htm

"
Pinot Gris has a very long tradition in the Pfalz region. In fact, it was here that
the variety was first identified. Villa Wolf Pinot Gris is made in a full-bodied,
dry style with refreshing, unoaked fruit and a crackling texture."

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 6, 6:21*am, Doug Anderson >
wrote:

> Pinot Gris (or whatever other name one calls it) is interesting. *I
> feel like the bulk of these wines that I taste are truly insipid in
> the sense of being almost flavorless.
>
> But, I've had examples (some from Alsace, mostly from Oregon, but that
> is probably because of proximity in my case) that are truly delightful
> wines at very modest prices ($11-$15).
>
> From the internet, I suspect the wine you had was in this price range,
> though it doesn't seem that widely distributed.
>
> An Oregon pinot gris that I like a lot and that seems to be widely
> distributed (in some Costcos for example) is this one:
>
> http://www.willamettevalleyvineyards...oducts/core/#3
>
> It is under $12 in Costco.
>
> Another Oregon winery that is big (for Oregon), and thus has some
> national distribution in the US, and has a good pinot gris is King
> Estate, but I think the Willamette Valley Vineyards one mentioned
> above is a better value.
>
> And there are lots of smaller Oregon vineyards with good pinot gris
> (and lots of insipid pinot gris from Oregon, but a much better
> proportion of good wine than the pinot grigios I see from Italy).

Doug:

You have named two Oregon wineries where Oregon pinot gris may be as
good as it gets in America. So far.

Willakenzie in Oregon, if they make pinot gris, would be another
suggestion; I think they make consistently good wine overall (which is
unusual, considering the weather).

I firmly believe that pinot gris would be a successful grape for the
east coast, but there again, it's economics. Why grow a successful
pinot gris in New York, when you can sell mediocre cabernet, just
because of the name recognition, for three times the price? And even
at its best, New York pinot gris could never approach the greatness of
New York riesling, some of the finest and most under-rated wine in the
world.

If wine was a Goldman Sachs financial derivative, like phony stock
assets and phony real estate loans, I would bet on riesling and short
pinot gris.

Just saying.

--Bob

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 6, 7:27*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Nov 6, 6:49*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
> wrote:

> > > It not unusual, but I am not sure how extensively it is grown. *It is
> > > usually called Grauburgunder or, more traditionally, Ruländer. *Never
> > > heard of one being sold as Pinot Grigio before.

> > Wein-Plus lists Pinot Gris (with synonyms Grauburgunder and Ruländer) as
> > comprising 4.3% of the growing area in Germany - 4.413 hectares - about
> > 11.000 acres, I believe

> One of the traditional better known regions for this grape in Germany
> is in Baden. In modern times the dry versions tend to be sold as
> Grauburgunder and the sweeter versions as Rulander. I don't know about
> Europe outside of Germany, but this wine in the higher quality form
> does not seem to be easily available in many areas of the US. I still
> have a few bottles of Bickensohler Steinfelsen Rulander Auslese 1976.
> It is a very rich sweet wine with great intensity of taste and smell
> and considerable complexity.

cwdjirxz:

I never thought of pinot gris as a late harvest wine. It sounds very
interesting!

--Bob

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 6, 7:51*am, "pavane" > wrote:

> At a tasting held by Ernst Loosen a few weeks ago we sampled Dr. Loosen's
> Villa Wolf Pinot Gris; it was a convincing wine, quite comparable to the
> majority of Italian Pinot Grigios, perhaps slightly lighter and more subtle.
> Apparently they have grown PG for quite a while:http://www.jlwolf.com/wines_vines.htm
>
> "
> Pinot Gris has a very long tradition in the Pfalz region. In fact, it was here that
> the variety was first identified. Villa Wolf Pinot Gris is made in a full-bodied,
> dry style with refreshing, unoaked fruit and a crackling texture."
>
> pavane

Pavane:

This is music to my ears. It confirms my suspicion that Germany,
Austria and Hungary might be the best places for pinot gris/pinot
grigio. I have a lot of contacts in Hungary. The area around Sopron
and Balaton would be ideal, but I don't know what the grape is called
in Hungarian.

--Bob

Posted to alt.food.wine

Bobchai > writes:

> On Nov 6, 6:21*am, Doug Anderson >
> wrote:
>

> > Pinot Gris (or whatever other name one calls it) is interesting. *I
> > feel like the bulk of these wines that I taste are truly insipid in
> > the sense of being almost flavorless.
> >
> > But, I've had examples (some from Alsace, mostly from Oregon, but that
> > is probably because of proximity in my case) that are truly delightful
> > wines at very modest prices ($11-$15).
> >
> > From the internet, I suspect the wine you had was in this price range,
> > though it doesn't seem that widely distributed.
> >
> > An Oregon pinot gris that I like a lot and that seems to be widely
> > distributed (in some Costcos for example) is this one:
> >
> > http://www.willamettevalleyvineyards...oducts/core/#3
> >
> > It is under $12 in Costco.
> >
> > Another Oregon winery that is big (for Oregon), and thus has some
> > national distribution in the US, and has a good pinot gris is King
> > Estate, but I think the Willamette Valley Vineyards one mentioned
> > above is a better value.
> >
> > And there are lots of smaller Oregon vineyards with good pinot gris
> > (and lots of insipid pinot gris from Oregon, but a much better
> > proportion of good wine than the pinot grigios I see from Italy).

> Doug:
>
> You have named two Oregon wineries where Oregon pinot gris may be as
> good as it gets in America. So far.
>
> Willakenzie in Oregon, if they make pinot gris, would be another
> suggestion; I think they make consistently good wine overall (which is
> unusual, considering the weather).

They do make a pinot gris. It sells for a bit more than the two I
mentioned but in my very limited experience isn't any better.

Willakenzie's pinot noirs on the other hand can be really excellent.
(Much more to my taste than pinot noirs from the other two vineyards I
mentioned.)
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
>> Pavane:
>>
>> This is music to my ears. It confirms my suspicion that Germany,
>> Austria and Hungary might be the best places for pinot gris/pinot
>> grigio. I have a lot of contacts in Hungary. The area around Sopron
>> and Balaton would be ideal, but I don't know what the grape is called
>> in Hungarian.

> Szürkebarát

Which means Grey Monk ('Grauer Mönch' in German).

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>>> Szürkebarát

>> Which means Grey Monk ('Grauer Mönch' in German).

> I suppose that is an Austrian name, given the proximity?

No. "Szürkebarát" means grey monk or grey priest.

Here in Austria both Pinot Gris and Grauburgunder are used,
Ruländer much less so.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:27:22 -0800 (PST), Bobchai >
wrote:

>On Nov 6, 7:51*am, "pavane" > wrote:

>This is music to my ears. It confirms my suspicion that Germany,
>Austria and Hungary might be the best places for pinot gris/pinot
>grigio. I have a lot of contacts in Hungary. The area around Sopron
>and Balaton would be ideal, but I don't know what the grape is called
>in Hungarian.

As others have said, Szürkebarát. I've not heard of it doing that
well in Sopron where the kékfrankos (blue french) is the traditional
grape grown.

However on the northern side of Lake Balaton, (therefore on south
facing slopes) the volcani hill of Badacsony produces Baacsonyi
Szürkebarát which was one of the top Hungarian wines IMO. It was THE
quintessential "difficult food" wine, accompanying the rich and spicy
type of hungarian food to perfection. When I last visited the area, it
was impossible to find a decent example, but maybe one day the local
growers will find their feet again and start producing a wine that
fulfils its potential.

I'd love to try one against chinese or indian food, because that's the
wine I always think of in that context, and which I have to sub an
Alsace Gewurz in place of.

(Yeuch, sorry about the frightful grammar).
,
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

IanH > wrote:

> I'd love to try one [Badacsony Szürkebarat] against chinese or
> indian food, because that's the wine I always think of in that
> context, and which I have to sub an Alsace Gewurz in place of.

Try a powerful Grüner Veltliner (13% or up): Does exceptionally
well.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello Michal,

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:05 +0100, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>IanH > wrote:
>
>> I'd love to try one [Badacsony Szürkebarat] against chinese or
>> indian food, because that's the wine I always think of in that
>> context, and which I have to sub an Alsace Gewurz in place of.

>Try a powerful Grüner Veltliner (13% or up): Does exceptionally
>well.

Actually, remembering the wines we tasted a t Vinexpo. that makes
sense. In fact there's a very idiosyncratic chinese restaurant called
"Hunan" in London, where the son, who is taking over the business, is
a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
restaurant, one might think!

Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
outside Austria, more's the pity. It's a measure of the wine list at
the Hunan that they have not just one GV, but two there - and at very
reasonable markups. So I've no excuses.

Thanks.

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:08:22 +0100, IanH > wrote:

> Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
> Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
> outside Austria, more's the pity.

Here in the USA, or at least in Tucson where I live, it's far from
being unknown. Not every restaurant has it on its wine list, but
several of them do.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

"IanH" > wrote in message
news
> Hello Michal,
>
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:05 +0100, Michael Pronay >
> wrote:
>
>>IanH > wrote:
>>
>>> I'd love to try one [Badacsony Szürkebarat] against chinese or
>>> indian food, because that's the wine I always think of in that
>>> context, and which I have to sub an Alsace Gewurz in place of.

>>Try a powerful Grüner Veltliner (13% or up): Does exceptionally
>>well.

> Actually, remembering the wines we tasted a t Vinexpo. that makes
> sense. In fact there's a very idiosyncratic chinese restaurant called
> "Hunan" in London, where the son, who is taking over the business, is
> a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
> restaurant, one might think!

Especially with the cuisine of Hunan Province!!!
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

"IanH" > skrev i melding
news
> Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
> Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
> outside Austria

Try Norway. The monopoly lists 63 different GV's - Sweden only has got 47
different

:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

>> Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that
>> Grüner Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in
>> restaurants outside Austria

> Try Norway. The monopoly lists 63 different GV's - Sweden only
> has got 47 different

Jeeesus! I knew the Scandinavian monopolies have had an eye on
Austrian wines - but never to *what* extent!

Thanks for the info, Anders.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:05:27 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

>> a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
>> restaurant, one might think!
>>

>Especially with the cuisine of Hunan Province!!!

There are many unusual things about the Hunan. One of them is that the
cuisine is not in fact from that Province, more's the pity. Another is
that they don't have a menu. You arrive, and some time later, so does
your food.

But for my money it's one of the best Chinese (canton-ish) restaurants
I've ever been to, though I know many who hate the place.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:46:27 -0700, Ken Blake
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:08:22 +0100, IanH > wrote:
>

>> Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
>> Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
>> outside Austria, more's the pity.

>Here in the USA, or at least in Tucson where I live, it's far from
>being unknown. Not every restaurant has it on its wine list, but
>several of them do.

That's very interesting, because since I've known Michael and since
the tasting he gave me, I've tended to look out for the grape, and see
it VERY rarely. You're fortunate. I'd not expect to find it here in
France, but it's not common in the UK either.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges