Old 23-11-2009, 08:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pinot Grigio

Hello Michal,

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:05 +0100, Michael Pronay
wrote:

IanH wrote:

I'd love to try one [Badacsony Szürkebarat] against chinese or
indian food, because that's the wine I always think of in that
context, and which I have to sub an Alsace Gewurz in place of.

Try a powerful Grüner Veltliner (13% or up): Does exceptionally
well.

Actually, remembering the wines we tasted a t Vinexpo. that makes
sense. In fact there's a very idiosyncratic chinese restaurant called
"Hunan" in London, where the son, who is taking over the business, is
a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
restaurant, one might think!

Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
outside Austria, more's the pity. It's a measure of the wine list at
the Hunan that they have not just one GV, but two there - and at very
reasonable markups. So I've no excuses.

Thanks.

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges

Old 23-11-2009, 08:46 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:08:22 +0100, IanH wrote:

Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
outside Austria, more's the pity.

Here in the USA, or at least in Tucson where I live, it's far from
being unknown. Not every restaurant has it on its wine list, but
several of them do.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old 23-11-2009, 09:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine

news

wrote:

IanH wrote:

I'd love to try one [Badacsony Szürkebarat] against chinese or
indian food, because that's the wine I always think of in that
context, and which I have to sub an Alsace Gewurz in place of.

Try a powerful Grüner Veltliner (13% or up): Does exceptionally
well.

Actually, remembering the wines we tasted a t Vinexpo. that makes
sense. In fact there's a very idiosyncratic chinese restaurant called
"Hunan" in London, where the son, who is taking over the business, is
a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
restaurant, one might think!

Especially with the cuisine of Hunan Province!!!
Graham

Old 23-11-2009, 10:01 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"IanH" skrev i melding
news
Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
outside Austria

Try Norway. The monopoly lists 63 different GV's - Sweden only has got 47
different

:-) Anders

Old 24-11-2009, 10:22 AM posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" wrote:

Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that
Grüner Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in
restaurants outside Austria

Try Norway. The monopoly lists 63 different GV's - Sweden only
has got 47 different

Jeeesus! I knew the Scandinavian monopolies have had an eye on
Austrian wines - but never to *what* extent!

Thanks for the info, Anders.

M.

Old 24-11-2009, 10:42 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:05:27 -0700, "graham" wrote:

a complete nut about wine. Rather a losing battle in a chinese
restaurant, one might think!

Especially with the cuisine of Hunan Province!!!

There are many unusual things about the Hunan. One of them is that the
cuisine is not in fact from that Province, more's the pity. Another is
that they don't have a menu. You arrive, and some time later, so does
your food.

But for my money it's one of the best Chinese (canton-ish) restaurants
I've ever been to, though I know many who hate the place.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Old 24-11-2009, 10:45 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:46:27 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:08:22 +0100, IanH wrote:

Anyway, I guess you have travelled abroad enough to know that Grüner
Veltliner, whether powerful or not is almost unknown in restaurants
outside Austria, more's the pity.

Here in the USA, or at least in Tucson where I live, it's far from
being unknown. Not every restaurant has it on its wine list, but
several of them do.

That's very interesting, because since I've known Michael and since
the tasting he gave me, I've tended to look out for the grape, and see
it VERY rarely. You're fortunate. I'd not expect to find it here in
France, but it's not common in the UK either.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges