FoodBanter.com

-   -   2009 vintage of the century...........again (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/178594-2009-vintage-century-again.html)

JT 04-11-2009 10:54 AM

2009 vintage of the century...........again

http://www.decanter.com/news/291353.html

the French are saying its the blah blah vintage of the century..blah blah
again

JT

James Silverton[_4_] 04-11-2009 01:46 PM

JT wrote on Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:54:46 -0000:

> the French are saying its the blah blah vintage of the
> century..blah blah again

Could well be great but there's a lot of the century left and it's
unlikely that anyone who proclaims 2009 to be the "vintage of the
century" is going to be around to be proved wrong in 2099.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

IanH 16-11-2009 04:26 PM

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:54:46 -0000, "JT" > wrote:

>http://www.decanter.com/news/291353.html
>
>the French are saying its the blah blah vintage of the century..blah blah
>again

To be fair.. I think they have good reason to be excited. Normally
sober and sensible winemakers, not given to hyerbole have said to me
(to whom they are usually pretty honest) that they have never seen a
year like it. Long summer that was hot but not too hot, and dry but
without drought. Long autumn with good temeprature variations, giving
great aromatic complexity.In Saussignac, for example a VERY late
onset of Botrytis (due to dry autumn) might have led to disasater were
it not for the perfect maturing conditions right up to early November.
So as long as nothing goes too wrong in the cellar, I think they might
find that 2009 tops 2000, 2002 AND 2005. Pretty damn good decade, to
be honest.

As the saying goes. "It's an ill wind as blows nobody any good", and
this may be a side effect of changes in weather patterns that is
beneficial for the moment.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges

Kent[_2_] 14-02-2010 10:51 PM

"IanH" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:54:46 -0000, "JT" > wrote:
>
>>http://www.decanter.com/news/291353.html
>>
>>the French are saying its the blah blah vintage of the century..blah blah
>>again

> To be fair.. I think they have good reason to be excited. Normally
> sober and sensible winemakers, not given to hyerbole have said to me
> (to whom they are usually pretty honest) that they have never seen a
> year like it. Long summer that was hot but not too hot, and dry but
> without drought. Long autumn with good temeprature variations, giving
> great aromatic complexity.In Saussignac, for example a VERY late
> onset of Botrytis (due to dry autumn) might have led to disasater were
> it not for the perfect maturing conditions right up to early November.
> So as long as nothing goes too wrong in the cellar, I think they might
> find that 2009 tops 2000, 2002 AND 2005. Pretty damn good decade, to
> be honest.
>
> As the saying goes. "It's an ill wind as blows nobody any good", and
> this may be a side effect of changes in weather patterns that is
> beneficial for the moment.
> --
> All the best
> Fatty from Forges