Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines with Cassoulet at La Sirene

Ramon organized a nice group to dine on cassoulet at La Sirene last
night, good to see old friends and meet new ones. An assortment of
wines, all French, and pretty good showings all around.

As we were gathering, a few whites were opened:
2000 Trimbach "Hommage a Jeanne" Pinot Gris
I liked but didn't love this at first, but love came at the end of the
meal when I retasted. From the beginning it showed nice pear fruit,
floral notes, good finish. But after about 2 hours it really sang,
with more depth, minerality, and richness. Good weight, but nimble.
Lovely wine A-

2000 Burn "Clos Saint Imer La Chapelle" Goldert Gewurztraminer
I had brought a second white because my red was a cheapie and I
remembered tasting this years ago with Jay Fruitisnotneccesarilyaflaw
Miller, wanted to revisit with him. Turns out half the table had
tasted recently, oh well. But in any case I enjoyed, much more than on
release. Great nose of litchis and apricots laced with a hint of
diesel, gets more musky and floral with time. Someone notes that
palate doesn't quite match up, but it's still a nice Gewurz, with
enough acidity to match the richness and hint of sweetness. B+/A-

(note: I hope I got the names right on the wines that weren't mine.
The combination of dim lights, my aging eyes, and some script/fonts
that were more about style than readibility made me less than certain)

1998 Clos Thou Jurancon sec
Brisk, strong acids, young. Someone says oxidative, but I don't really
get that. Needs food, but very nice (and young) ). Very interesting. B
+

2007 Ilori Irouleguy
Good acids. citrusy fruit, a just slightly offputting lemon furniture
polish note. Very young, and again food would probably help, but for
now my least favorite of the whites. B-

On to the reds. Somewhere in midst of reds I had a calamari dish that
needed white,but too many wines to go revisit. Then we had the
cassoulet,
which really hit the spot for me, and went well with the hearty reds.

1999 Potel "Clos des Guettes" Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Black fruit, a little tire rubber, medium to full bodied, maybe a bit
closed. B-

2000 Rollin 'Iles des Vergelesses" Pernand Vergelesses 1er
Served a bit chilly, not showing a lot at first. I save some (hard
with the rush of reds), and am delighted with result. A Volnayesque
feminine style, good acids, light but not without concentration, black
cherries and a touch of forest floor. Jay, I'm a convert. A-

1982 du Cedre Cahors
I think others liked this a bit more than I did. Pretty young black
fruit, nice length, but there's a little iodine/medicinal note on
finish that I can't get past. Others say they see what I'm talking
about, but it doesn't bother them. I still like, but without that note
it would score higher from me. B-

1993 Tempier Bandol
Blackberries, black plums, just a little ass in the glass, leathery.
Very nice and showing well now. A-/B+

1999 Le Galantin "Longue Gard" Bandol
Sweet black fruit, a little brett, slight metallic note on finish, ok
but I prefer the Tempier by a long shot. B-

2004 Allemand Cornas
I think my cassoulet came about here and with lack of space my plate
rested on my paper, I made no notes. But I remember it as lovely
though young, solid fruit, beautiful herb and pepper notes. A-/B+

1988 Fonsalette "Cuvee Syrah"
Bill worried this might be old, but it really showed nicely, and held
up fine for hours on table (though he had slow oxygenated most of
day). Black currants, berries, coffee and black pepper. Nice wine. A-/B
+

1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape
I've had variable experiences with this wine, and this time it didn't
shine. Certainly pleasant, with low to moderate acidity, resolved
tannins, but fruit seems a tad muted compared to recent bottles. Maybe
some air did this some good, but I never retasted. I think others
liked more than I did. B-

1995 Montus Madiran
Still some tannins, classy black fruit, tasty. I wrote B/B+ , but I
think that was before a retaste at end of night, I think it showed
better and I would have upped a tad. B+

1997 Laffont Madiran
I couldn't find the Madiran I was looking for, so brought this. A $5
buy from PC years ago, it was tannic as hell then. Still showing some
tannins, ok dark fruits, I prefer the Montus. B-

2001 Negly Porte du Ciel (Coteaux du Languedoc)
Big, powerful, modern, still showing some vanillay oak. Blueberries,
blackberries, mocha. Undeniably potent wine, just not the style I
prefer. Might have liked better with a big steak. B-/C+

Fun night with fun group, thanks Ramon for organizing and all for your
contributions.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> [...]
> better and I would have upped a tad. B+
>
> 1997 Laffont Madiran
> I couldn't find the Madiran I was looking for, so brought this. A $5
> buy from PC years ago, it was tannic as hell then. Still showing some
> tannins, ok dark fruits, I prefer the Montus. B-
>
> 2001 Negly Porte du Ciel (Coteaux du Languedoc)
> Big, powerful, modern, still showing some vanillay oak. Blueberries,
> blackberries, mocha. Undeniably potent wine, just not the style I
> prefer. Might have liked better with a big steak. B-/C+
>
> Fun night with fun group, thanks Ramon for organizing and all for your
> contributions.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of

Great tasting. I have noticed a great bottle to bottle variability in
Beaucastel CdP especially in the mid 90's. Have others seen this?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 23, 10:40�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> [...]

> > tannins, ok dark fruits, I prefer the Montus. B-

> > 2001 Negly Porte du Ciel (Coteaux du Languedoc)
> > Big, powerful, modern, still showing some vanillay oak. Blueberries,
> > blackberries, mocha. Undeniably potent wine, just not the style I
> > prefer. Might have liked better with a big steak. B-/C+

> > Fun night with fun group, thanks Ramon for organizing and all for your
> > contributions.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent�wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't�drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no�promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.��

> Great tasting. I have noticed a great bottle to bottle variability in
> Beaucastel CdP especially in the mid 90's. Have others seen this?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, wildly variable. I've had them go from musky, animal-like to
fruit bomb.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 23, 10:03*am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> better and I would have upped a tad. B+
>
> 1997 Laffont Madiran
> I couldn't find the Madiran I was looking for, so brought this. A $5
> buy from PC years ago, it was tannic as hell then. Still showing some
> tannins, ok dark fruits, I prefer the Montus. B-
>
> 2001 Negly Porte du Ciel (Coteaux du Languedoc)
> Big, powerful, modern, still showing some vanillay oak. Blueberries,
> blackberries, mocha. Undeniably potent wine, just not the style I
> prefer. Might have liked better with a big steak. B-/C+
>
> Fun night with fun group, thanks Ramon for organizing and all for your
> contributions.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of

A few refinements of wine names:
The Ilori is from Brana
The Tempier was the La Tourtine
The Allemand was the Chaignot (not my eyes fault on this one, it was
in a decanter, I wrote what I was told!)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wines with Cassoulet at La Sirene

"DaleW" > wrote in message

1999 Potel "Clos des Guettes" Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
Black fruit, a little tire rubber, medium to full bodied, maybe a bit
closed. B-
__________________________________

Great notes as usual! Thanks!
I've had a couple of "Guettes" recently, from different negociants, and
neither was impressive. Pleasant but poor QPR. They've put me off aquiring
any from other clos.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 23, 7:08*pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> 1999 Potel *"Clos des Guettes" Savigny-les-Beaune 1er
> Black fruit, a little tire rubber, medium to full bodied, maybe a bit
> closed. B-
> __________________________________
>
> Great notes as usual! Thanks!
> I've had a couple of *"Guettes" recently, from different negociants, and
> neither was impressive. *Pleasant but poor QPR. *They've put me off aquiring
> any from other clos.
> Graham

I've drunk a lot of Pavelot's "Les Guettes" before, generally really
like it. This is first time I've ever seen a "Clos Des Guettes." With
growers like Pavelot, Bize, Ecard I'd not generally look for negociant
Savigny.

TN: La Sirene's cassoulet with mostly SW France wines DaleW Wine 0 20-03-2012 05:48 PM
TN: Loires at La Sirene DaleW Wine 2 13-04-2011 07:27 PM
Wines with cassoulet (for Ian H) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 22-02-2009 05:44 AM
TN: Several Bdx, few Burgs, one Champagne at La Sirene DaleW Wine 1 16-10-2008 03:20 PM
TN: Drouhin Bojo and cassoulet wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 12-02-2007 03:14 PM