Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Torrontes and Oregon PN

Betsy's back to work, since she had all day rehearsal I was in charge
of dinner. Salmon and cucumbers in brown butter, brown rice, leeks
braised in white wine, sugar snap peas. Cooking wine was the 2009
Goulart "T" Torrontes (not sure if the T is actually the name or just
a graphic effect), Lemony citrus, good acidity, a bit herbal, with a
surprising note of tannins- not a lot, but surprising to be there at
all. Finish is a bit short, and after a while there's a funny
medicinal note. Still, interesting if not compelling. B-

Dinner wine was the 2002 St Innocent "Seven Springs" Pinot Noir. I was
afraid this might be infanticide, but it's actually drinking nicely.
Black cherry fruit backed by tensile acids and resolving tannins.
Lively, but also smooth and rich, with hints of chocolate and truffle.
I really enjoy this, and am kicking myself for not buying more. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
*
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Betsy's back to work, since she had all day rehearsal I was in charge
> of dinner. Salmon and cucumbers in brown butter, brown rice, leeks
> braised in white wine, sugar snap peas. Cooking wine was the 2009
> Goulart "T" Torrontes (not sure if the T is actually the name or just
> a graphic effect), Lemony citrus, good acidity, a bit herbal, with a
> surprising note of tannins- not a lot, but surprising to be there at
> all. Finish is a bit short, and after a while there's a funny
> medicinal note. Still, interesting if not compelling. B-
>
> Dinner wine was the 2002 St Innocent "Seven Springs" Pinot Noir. I was
> afraid this might be infanticide, but it's actually drinking nicely.
> Black cherry fruit backed by tensile acids and resolving tannins.
> Lively, but also smooth and rich, with hints of chocolate and truffle.
> I really enjoy this, and am kicking myself for not buying more. A-

Thanks for the notes, Dale. Did you note the ABV on that Torrontes? My
problem with those that I've had (mass market, all) is that they all
finished hot and were pushing 14% ABV. And thanks also for the update
on the Seven Springs: I've got a few of them in the cellar, but none of
the '02 I think. I'll have to check tonight.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Betsy's back to work, since she had all day rehearsal I was in charge
> of dinner. Salmon and cucumbers in brown butter, brown rice, leeks
> braised in white wine, sugar snap peas. Cooking wine was the 2009
> Goulart "T" Torrontes (not sure if the T is actually the name or just
> a graphic effect), Lemony citrus, good acidity, a bit herbal, with a
> surprising note of tannins- not a lot, but surprising to be there at
> all. Finish is a bit short, and after a while there's a funny
> medicinal note. Still, interesting if not compelling. B-
>
> Dinner wine was the 2002 St Innocent "Seven Springs" Pinot Noir. I was
> afraid this might be infanticide, but it's actually drinking nicely.
> Black cherry fruit backed by tensile acids and resolving tannins.
> Lively, but also smooth and rich, with hints of chocolate and truffle.
> I really enjoy this, and am kicking myself for not buying more. A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**
> *

I just can't seem to get into any Torrontes based wines. I find they all
smell and taste like grapefruit juice to me. While I like grapefruit,
and a small amount in the nose is pleasant, these just seem outright.