Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "Great Wine Capital" of the World

Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine Capital" of
the World.

Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled to one
only.

Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown, Florence, Mainz,
Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San Francisco - Napa Valley.

The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295 wineries,
encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the north as far south as
Central Otago, 400km south.

I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted" shortly.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote:

> Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine
> Capital" of the World.
>
> Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled
> to one only.
>
> Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown,
> Florence, Mainz, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San
> Francisco - Napa Valley.
>
> The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295
> wineries, encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the
> north as far south as Central Otago, 400km south.
>
> I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted"
> shortly.

Interesting.

Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
hectares of vineyards.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:00:09 +0200, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>"st.helier" > wrote:
>
>> Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine
>> Capital" of the World.
>>
>> Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled
>> to one only.
>>
>> Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown,
>> Florence, Mainz, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San
>> Francisco - Napa Valley.
>>
>> The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295
>> wineries, encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the
>> north as far south as Central Otago, 400km south.
>>
>> I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted"
>> shortly.

>Interesting.
>
>Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
>industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
>hectares of vineyards.
>
>M.

The Parisiennes will surely inform you that quanity alone does not
make for vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France
is being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > skrev i melding
> The Parisiennes will surely inform you that quanity alone does not
> make for vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France
> is being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)

The difference is that the wines of Paris (Montmartre) were reported to be
lousy... However, times may have changed - quote: In the past, this wine
was considered to be rough swill possessing diuretic qualities, yet more
recently it was recognized
:-)
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Pronay" wrote....

>>Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
>>industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
>>hectares of vineyards.

"Joseph Coulter" replied...

> The Parisiennes will surely inform you that quanity alone does not
> make for vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France
> is being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)

"Great Wine Capitals" does have a web site... not updated though

http://www.greatwinecapitals.com/

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote:

>> Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
>> industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
>> hectares of vineyards.

> The Parisiennes

Interesting: Why do you exclude their male counterparts, the
Parisiens?

> will surely inform you that quanity alone does not make for
> vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France is
> being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)

That's why I said *serious* wine industry, in the sense that the
wine is accessible to anybody, which definitely is not the case
for Montmartre produce.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-10-17 14:09:15 -0700, "Anders Tørneskog"
> said:

> "Joseph Coulter" > skrev i melding
>> The Parisiennes will surely inform you that quanity alone does not
>> make for vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France
>> is being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)

> The difference is that the wines of Paris (Montmartre) were reported to be
> lousy... However, times may have changed - quote: In the past, this wine
> was considered to be rough swill possessing diuretic qualities, yet more
> recently it was recognized
> :-)
> Anders

Besides, the vinyard is only about an acre...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 17, 5:00*am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> "st.helier" > wrote:
> > Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine
> > Capital" of the World.

> > Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled
> > to one only.

> > Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown,
> > Florence, Mainz, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San
> > Francisco - Napa Valley.

> > The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295
> > wineries, encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the
> > north as far south as Central Otago, 400km south.

> > I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted"
> > shortly.

> Interesting.
>
> Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
> industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
> hectares of vineyards.
>
> M.

I have to say the "Great Wine Capitals" network of the world seems
like a crock of sh$t to me. OK, one can argue Bordeaux over Beaune,
Florence over Turin, etc. San Francisco is an hour+ from Napa
(Sacramento is about same distance). Is Bilbao in Rioja? Mainz is more
important than Trier? Totally meaningless list IMHO
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:09:50 +0200, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>Joseph Coulter > wrote:
>
>>> Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
>>> industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
>>> hectares of vineyards.

>> The Parisiennes

>Interesting: Why do you exclude their male counterparts, the
>Parisiens?

M. Pronay surely you understand, I am only a man I am so predictable
in these things.<(VBG>
>> will surely inform you that quanity alone does not make for
>> vinyards in a Capital. Especially when the capital of France is
>> being neglected. Paris, too, has its vines and wines. :-)

>That's why I said *serious* wine industry, in the sense that the
>wine is accessible to anybody, which definitely is not the case
>for Montmartre produce.
>
>M.

Please bear in mind that I meant no disrespect to the Vienese wine
industry. I was playing with the capitals and wine aspect only.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Oct 17, 5:00 am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> "st.helier" > wrote:
> > Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine
> > Capital" of the World.

> > Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled
> > to one only.

> > Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown,
> > Florence, Mainz, Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San
> > Francisco - Napa Valley.

> > The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295
> > wineries, encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the
> > north as far south as Central Otago, 400km south.

> > I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted"
> > shortly.

> Interesting.
>
> Thus said, the only capital in the world with a serious wine
> industry within its limits is Vienna, Austria, with some 700
> hectares of vineyards.
>
> M.

>I have to say the "Great Wine Capitals" network of the world seems
>like a crock of sh$t to me. OK, one can argue Bordeaux over Beaune,
>Florence over Turin, etc. San Francisco is an hour+ from Napa
>(Sacramento is about same distance). Is Bilbao in Rioja? Mainz is more
>important than Trier? Totally meaningless list IMHO

Bah humbug! Can only agree with your opinion.
There's nothing about Christchurch that speaks 'wine' to me.
The case for Wellington is much stronger IMO.
1. It is the Capital (of NZ)
2. The Wairarapa wine region (including Martinborough) is a reasonable
distance
away to make a day trip possible, and a large number of Wellingtonians
do so.
3. Actually, a large number of the vineyard owners, and wine producers
have escaped
govt and/or professional life in Wellington to make wine in the
Wairarapa.

cheers greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote:

> Please bear in mind that I meant no disrespect to the Vienese wine
> industry. I was playing with the capitals and wine aspect only.

Absolvo te.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:37:44 +1300, "greybeard" >
wrote:

>Bah humbug! Can only agree with your opinion.
>There's nothing about Christchurch that speaks 'wine' to me.
>The case for Wellington is much stronger IMO.
>1. It is the Capital (of NZ)
>2. The Wairarapa wine region (including Martinborough) is a reasonable
>distance
>away to make a day trip possible, and a large number of Wellingtonians
>do so.
>3. Actually, a large number of the vineyard owners, and wine producers
>have escaped
>govt and/or professional life in Wellington to make wine in the
>Wairarapa.
>
>cheers greybeard
>

>Is Christchurch even close to Marlbourough? IIRCX it is a hike to the good wine country and Wellington as you said is right there.

Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:17:24 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Until today, I had never heard of the designation "Great Wine Capital" of
>the World.
>
>Membership had comprised eight "capitals" - any country entitled to one
>only.
>
>Christchurch, New Zealand now joins Bordeaux, Capetown, Florence, Mainz,
>Mendoza, Porto, Bilbao - Rioja and San Francisco - Napa Valley.
>
>The Christchurch/Southern New Zealand wine region includes 295 wineries,
>encompassing Marlborough some 300km by road to the north as far south as
>Central Otago, 400km south.
>
>I understand that Adelaide, South Australia will be "inducted" shortly.

Strictly marketing BS. Reminds me of Seattle's "Emerald City" (pay no
attention to that tourism board guy behind the curtain). Even worse is
a campaign they tried two years ago -- "Seattle - It's Metronatural."

OKG. Flopped like a dying carp at low tide!

Then there nearby Tacoma, a city known historically for its "aroma."
The stench from its pulp mills used to drift all over the Puget Sound
basin, and you'd always know which way the wind was blowing.

So what did they pay some PR firm to come up with?

"City of Destiny."

"Great Wine Capital?" Maybe they mean capitol, eh? "Vintage of the
Century," "Greatest Vintage of any viticultural area EVER!"

Yawn.

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
| On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:37:44 +1300, "greybeard" >
| wrote:
|

| >Bah humbug! Can only agree with your opinion.
| >There's nothing about Christchurch that speaks 'wine' to me.
| >The case for Wellington is much stronger IMO.
| >1. It is the Capital (of NZ)
| >2. The Wairarapa wine region (including Martinborough) is a
reasonable
| >distance
| >away to make a day trip possible, and a large number of
Wellingtonians
| >do so.
| >3. Actually, a large number of the vineyard owners, and wine
producers
| >have escaped
| >govt and/or professional life in Wellington to make wine in the
| >Wairarapa.
| >
| >cheers greybeard
| >

| >Is Christchurch even close to Marlbourough? IIRCX it is a hike to the
good wine country and Wellington as you said is right there.
| Joseph Coulter
| Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
| www.josephcoulter.com

Christchurch - Blenheim (principle Marlborough town) 300+ km, say 3½ - 4
hrs driving.
Travel from Wellington to Blenheim would be quicker, that is ferry
across Cook Strait and
hire car to Blenheim. Or a 20min regular scheduled flight.
There are a few vineyards to the near north of ChCh, and the Waipara
wine region about
an hours drive away.
Auckland has far better vinous claims - Waiheke Island is within the
city boundaries, and there are
nearby wine areas south, west and north of the city boundaries. Shortly
these will also
be within the city boundaries, as the several regional city authorities
are being amalgamated into
a single "super" city.
Just as an aside; the good people of ChCh would likely describe
themselves as "down to earth
beer drinkers" and Aucklanders as "Chardonnay and latte drinking
lawyers, bankers, stock
brokers and property developers." We like a bit of parochialism.

greybeard