Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rhone for pre-anniversary dinner (Faurie)

Today is our 8th wedding anniversary, but through bad planning I have
a SOBER event. We scheduled our special night out for tomorrow, but
last night I decided to open a wedding year wine to go with the roast
chicken, sweet potato, and arugula. I went downstairs to get a 2001
Bordeaux, but came up with a 2001 Bernard Faurie St Joseph Vieille
Vignes. Red fruit, lots of pepper, very high acid. Actually acid is
high enough to make even me pull back at first. With a little time, it
fills out, with the fruit standing up to the acid. Nicely spicy, firm
tannins, I think a couple more years will do this some good. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:05:10 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

> Today is our 8th wedding anniversary,

Congratulations to you and Betsy!

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Today is our 8th wedding anniversary, but through bad planning I have
> a SOBER event. We scheduled our special night out for tomorrow, but
> last night I decided to open a wedding year wine to go with the roast
> chicken, sweet potato, and arugula. I went downstairs to get a 2001
> Bordeaux, but came up with a 2001 Bernard Faurie St Joseph Vieille
> Vignes. Red fruit, lots of pepper, very high acid. Actually acid is
> high enough to make even me pull back at first. With a little time, it
> fills out, with the fruit standing up to the acid. Nicely spicy, firm
> tannins, I think a couple more years will do this some good. B+

Congrats to both of you lovebirds! And Betsy is a most understanding
woman, may I add. What a nice wine you chose for the preview meal, Dale.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Today is our 8th wedding anniversary, but through bad planning I have
> a SOBER event. We scheduled our special night out for tomorrow, but
> last night I decided to open a wedding year wine to go with the roast
> chicken, sweet potato, and arugula. I went downstairs to get a 2001
> Bordeaux, but came up with a 2001 Bernard Faurie St Joseph Vieille
> Vignes. Red fruit, lots of pepper, very high acid. Actually acid is
> high enough to make even me pull back at first. With a little time, it
> fills out, with the fruit standing up to the acid. Nicely spicy, firm
> tannins, I think a couple more years will do this some good. B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**

Congratulations. By 8th, we had 3 kids and were too busy to think much
less drink good wine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 13, 3:53*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Today is our 8th wedding anniversary, but through bad planning I have
> > a SOBER event. We scheduled our special night out for tomorrow, but
> > last night I decided to open a wedding year wine to go with the roast
> > chicken, sweet potato, and arugula. I went downstairs to get a 2001
> > Bordeaux, but came up with a 2001 Bernard Faurie St Joseph Vieille
> > Vignes. Red fruit, lots of pepper, very high acid. Actually acid is
> > high enough to make even me pull back at first. With a little time, it
> > fills out, with the fruit standing up to the acid. Nicely spicy, firm
> > tannins, I think a couple more years will do this some good. B+

> Congrats to both of you lovebirds! *And Betsy is a most understanding
> woman, may I add. *What a nice wine you chose for the preview meal, Dale.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

She is understanding, but we've had to reschedule anniversary dinners
before due to her schedule.
Hopefully she'll enjoy Convivio tomorrow (she likes the restaurant to
be a surprise, but I know she doesn't read here!)

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Hopefully she'll enjoy Convivio tomorrow (she likes the restaurant to
> be a surprise, but I know she doesn't read here!)

Cool, Dale! Say hi to Ivan Lendl, I mean Levi (pronounced like levy,
I'm told) for me, if you can. And please post notes about the meal if
you can -- that's one of the places I'm dying to try.

Cheers again!
Mark

Upcoming Anniversary Dinner Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 25 08-04-2012 06:25 PM
Anniversary dinner Ed Pawlowski[_2_] General Cooking 17 18-05-2011 04:00 AM
TN Our 30th Anniversary dinner JT Wine 7 19-01-2009 10:32 PM
Wish me luck - anniversary dinner Glitter Ninja General Cooking 4 05-03-2006 04:20 AM
Anniversary Dinner Bill Spohn Wine 0 11-12-2004 03:55 PM