FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: wines mostly in CA (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/177761-tn-wines-mostly-ca.html)

DaleW 11-10-2009 11:20 PM

TN: wines mostly in CA

Monday we were at Betsy's parents' home. Betsy and I made dinner- I
made a Roman chicken and peppers recipe from a Biba Caggiano recipe,
Betsy did chard and a barley/mushroom side. Recipe needed a cup of
white wine, we used the 2008 Clos du Bois Chardonnay (North Coast).
Low acid, movie theater "butter", canned pears, not my style. C+

Tuesday we spent a little time in Yosemite before going to hotel in
Mariposa; we went to dinner at the Butterfly Cafe. I had a spinach
salad and mushroom stuffed chicken; Betsy had proscuitto/melon and a
Caesar salad with shrimp. Only local (Sierra Foothills?)wines, we had
a glass of:

Butterfly Cellars Merlot
(vintage uncertain) I worried about green in a mountain Merlot, but
this seemed reasonably ripe, fruit forward, midbodied with a bit of
vanilla. Good in a middle of the road sort of way. B-

Butterfly Sauvignon Blanc
Lots of grass, herbaceous, soft, I'm surprised it doesn't have more
acidity as it hails from a fairly cool area. C+

Wednesday we hiked up to Vernal Falls, when we got back we went to
check into Yosemite Lodge, as they had overbooked we accepted a room
at the Yosemite View in El Portal. But we headed back into park for
dinner, stopping first at the Ahwanee for a drink. List was mostly
priced at retail for a glass, so $19 for the Cain Cuvee seemed like a
deal. Great scenery, ok to good wine. Red plums, fleshy, a bit of
spice. B-

Dinner was at the Mountain Room, part of Yosemite Lodge looking up at
the lower Falls. I had Caesar salad and flatiron steak w/chimichurri,
Betsy
also had the steak. We got a bottle of the 2005 Gundlach Bundschu
Mountain Cuvee (Sonoma). Lighter styled, red plums and black cherries,
just a hint of cedar. Good acids, food friendly, nice if not
especially long . B

Thursday we walked among the sequoias at Mariposa Grove and then drove
to Southern CA. We got to Laguna Beach, took a long walk on beach, ate
fish tacos, and then had a short visit with Betsy's grandmother.
Afterwards, I opened a bottle of the 2006 Banfi Chianti Classico (I
had actually bought Wed to drink on patio overlooking the Merced
River, but we hadn't, and I sure didn't want to lug this back to NY).
Modest acids, black cherry, fruit is a bit dilute, finish is short,
disappointing for vintage. 2/3s left for maid. C+

So early exit from Orange County, a wait in the Twin Cites, and then
we got to LGA. Betsy felt like cooking, threw together a pasta
carbonara and some broccoli rabe, and I opened the 2007 Vissoux/
Chermette "Cuvee Traditionelle" Beaujolais VV. Ahh, finally my kind of
wine. Good acidity, sweet sappy cherry fruit, a little hint of herbs
and gunsmoke. Tasty, tasty, tasty. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**