Old 16-10-2009, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default pricy sommeliers

"IanH" wrote in message
Wotcha Martin,

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:13:40 +1000, "Martin Field"
wrote:

In his book, Key to Gracious Living, (pub.1972) Peter Robotti,
restaurateur,
writes: "My own experience with sommeliers is that they invariably offer
the
highest price wine."

Other parts of the world?

As several others have said, that's not been my experience. I won't
bore you with the story of what happened at the old Tante Claire in
London, but suffice it to say that the Sommelier suggested a bin end
at 1/3 the price of the (quite similar) wine I had been thinking of.

In fact, I've never, to my knowledge, had a sommelier try to talk up
the top end wines. Even if I can find my way roumd a wine list
reasonably well, I don't pretend to know the food as well as the
Sommelier should do, and so will often ask advice.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges

Hi Ian - Judging by AFW comments things have changed since Robotti's
experiences in New York and the US in the '70s.

The trend I mentioned must be must be a modern Australian phenomenon where,
admittedly, trained or professional sommeliers have been scarce on the
ground. I quote my own words here about local dining:

"Noosa is often touted as Australia's premier tourist destination and its
best restaurants are highly regarded and reviewed.

"The top shelf restaurants do offer food and service (and prices) on a par
with leading restaurants in Sydney and Melbourne. However, at some of the
also-ran eateries, while prices remain high, the service, especially the
wine service, can be abysmal.

"We've had champagne corks popped and the expensive contents dribbled over
the floor. Older vintage corks destroyed by poor opening technique 'Ever
thought of cutting off the capsule first?' I muttered. And bottles handled
carelessly and wine poured as if it were beer." etc.

Cheers!

Martin