Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two Bordeaux

I grilled a whole leg of lamb last night for dinner and opened two
bottles of Bordeaux. 2000 Ducru Beaucaillou and 1990 Lynch Bages.
The 2000 Ducru is still and infant and needs plenty of time to show
it's stuff. I felt that the wine was shut down and even after plenty
of time in the decanter I found the wine a bit tight and short. Very
dark in the glass almost black, a bit of minerality on the nose and a
whiff of anise, vanilla and cassis. One dimentional on the palate,
some black fruit and oak followed by fairly plush, oaky tannins. A
solid B on the Dale Scale.

The 1990 Lynch Bages was fabulous. Still quite young in the glass it
has an effusive nose of sweet ripe currants and black plums with a bit
of cigarbox. Smooth and supple on the palate it has plenty of
complexity with blackberry, black cherry, Creme de Cassis, a little
floor of the forest and a touch of brett. Years to go but drinking
well right now. A solid A on the Dale Scale.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 28, 2:07*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I grilled a whole leg of lamb last night for dinner and opened two
> bottles of Bordeaux. *2000 Ducru Beaucaillou and 1990 Lynch Bages.
> The 2000 Ducru is still and infant and needs plenty of time to show
> it's stuff. *I felt that the wine was shut down and even after plenty
> of time in the decanter I found the wine a bit tight and short. Very
> dark in the glass almost black, a bit of minerality on the nose and a
> whiff of anise, vanilla and cassis. *One dimentional on the palate,
> some black fruit and oak followed by fairly plush, oaky tannins. A
> solid B on the Dale Scale.
>
> The 1990 Lynch Bages was fabulous. Still quite young in the glass it
> has an effusive nose of sweet ripe currants and black plums with a bit
> of cigarbox. *Smooth and supple on the palate it has plenty of
> complexity with blackberry, black cherry, Creme de Cassis, a little
> floor of the forest and a touch of brett. *Years to go but drinking
> well right now. A solid A on the Dale Scale.

I liked the 00 Ducru on release, but I'm not surprised shut down now.
I've had some varying 90 Lynch, but the good ones are great wine
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> OK, time to teach me. "a touch of brett"--I've long associated brett
> with the odor downwind from a commercial pig raising facility after a
> strong rain. A definite flaw.
>
> Floor of the forest, I get. That can be quite pleasant. But in the
> forest where a couple of rutting bull elk have passed recently and you
> add a touch of brett. It may be good news for an elk hunter, but bad
> for a wine drinker.
>
> How does a wine with brett still rate a solid A on the Dale Scale--or
> have you just dissed Dale?

Classic, Ed! There are various strains of Brett and people's
sensitivity to Brett varies widely. I find that most of my favorite
wines are a tad Bretty, by which I mean that there's a meaty/gamey aroma
to them. When it's so intense that it verges into Band-Aid territory,
it ceases to be as pleasant to me, but other people might be gagging by
then. De gustibus and all that.

Mark Lipton

p.s. Ridge Zins in years gone by (late '70s to late '80s) were more
than a touch Bretty at times. Maybe you had some of them?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 28, 6:47*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Ed Rasimus wrote:
> > OK, time to teach me. "a touch of brett"--I've long associated brett
> > with the odor downwind from a commercial pig raising facility after a
> > strong rain. A definite flaw.

> > Floor of the forest, I get. That can be quite pleasant. But in the
> > forest where a couple of rutting bull elk have passed recently and you
> > add a touch of brett. It may be good news for an elk hunter, but bad
> > for a wine drinker.

> > How does a wine with brett still rate a solid A on the Dale Scale--or
> > have you just dissed Dale?

> Classic, Ed! *There are various strains of Brett and people's
> sensitivity to Brett varies widely. *I find that most of my favorite
> wines are a tad Bretty, by which I mean that there's a meaty/gamey aroma
> *to them. *When it's so intense that it verges into Band-Aid territory,
> it ceases to be as pleasant to me, but other people might be gagging by
> then. *De gustibus and all that.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. *Ridge Zins in years gone by (late '70s to late '80s) were more
> than a touch Bretty at times. *Maybe you had some of them?
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Indeed, both sensitivity (of taster) and strain (of brett) make a
difference. A lot of my fave Bordeaux have a bit - like the famous
Cordier funk (82 & 86 Gruaud, 86 Meyney, 82 & 89 Talbot, etc). 89 and
90 Montrose are great if a little bretty, not so great if it shows
heavily. And Lynch in 70s and 80s often does show it.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 29, 1:03*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 28, 6:47*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > Ed Rasimus wrote:
> > > OK, time to teach me. "a touch of brett"--I've long associated brett
> > > with the odor downwind from a commercial pig raising facility after a
> > > strong rain. A definite flaw.

> > > Floor of the forest, I get. That can be quite pleasant. But in the
> > > forest where a couple of rutting bull elk have passed recently and you
> > > add a touch of brett. It may be good news for an elk hunter, but bad
> > > for a wine drinker.

> > > How does a wine with brett still rate a solid A on the Dale Scale--or
> > > have you just dissed Dale?

> > Classic, Ed! *There are various strains of Brett and people's
> > sensitivity to Brett varies widely. *I find that most of my favorite
> > wines are a tad Bretty, by which I mean that there's a meaty/gamey aroma
> > *to them. *When it's so intense that it verges into Band-Aid territory,
> > it ceases to be as pleasant to me, but other people might be gagging by
> > then. *De gustibus and all that.

> > Mark Lipton

> > p.s. *Ridge Zins in years gone by (late '70s to late '80s) were more
> > than a touch Bretty at times. *Maybe you had some of them?
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Indeed, both sensitivity (of taster) and strain (of brett) make a
> difference. A lot of my fave Bordeaux have a bit - like the famous
> Cordier funk *(82 & 86 Gruaud, 86 Meyney, 82 & 89 Talbot, etc). 89 and
> 90 Montrose are great if a little bretty, not so great if it shows
> heavily. And Lynch in 70s and 80s often does show it.

Oh yes, and of course there's Anthony Hansen's famous comment that
"good Burgundy smells like s$%^"

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> I grilled a whole leg of lamb last night for dinner and opened two
> bottles of Bordeaux. 2000 Ducru Beaucaillou and 1990 Lynch Bages.
> The 2000 Ducru is still and infant and needs plenty of time to show
> it's stuff. I felt that the wine was shut down and even after plenty
> of time in the decanter I found the wine a bit tight and short. Very
> dark in the glass almost black, a bit of minerality on the nose and a
> whiff of anise, vanilla and cassis. One dimentional on the palate,
> some black fruit and oak followed by fairly plush, oaky tannins. A
> solid B on the Dale Scale.
>
> The 1990 Lynch Bages was fabulous. Still quite young in the glass it
> has an effusive nose of sweet ripe currants and black plums with a bit
> of cigarbox. Smooth and supple on the palate it has plenty of
> complexity with blackberry, black cherry, Creme de Cassis, a little
> floor of the forest and a touch of brett. Years to go but drinking
> well right now. A solid A on the Dale Scale.

I have yet to touch most of my 2000. What little I have had so far seems
to be quite hard yet.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Sep 28, 6:47*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Ed Rasimus wrote:
> > > OK, time to teach me. "a touch of brett"--I've long associated brett
> > > with the odor downwind from a commercial pig raising facility after a
> > > strong rain. A definite flaw.

> > > Floor of the forest, I get. That can be quite pleasant. But in the
> > > forest where a couple of rutting bull elk have passed recently and you
> > > add a touch of brett. It may be good news for an elk hunter, but bad
> > > for a wine drinker.

> > > How does a wine with brett still rate a solid A on the Dale Scale--or
> > > have you just dissed Dale?

> > Classic, Ed! *There are various strains of Brett and people's
> > sensitivity to Brett varies widely. *I find that most of my favorite
> > wines are a tad Bretty, by which I mean that there's a meaty/gamey aroma
> > *to them. *When it's so intense that it verges into Band-Aid territory,
> > it ceases to be as pleasant to me, but other people might be gagging by
> > then. *De gustibus and all that.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >
> > p.s. *Ridge Zins in years gone by (late '70s to late '80s) were more
> > than a touch Bretty at times. *Maybe you had some of them?
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Indeed, both sensitivity (of taster) and strain (of brett) make a
> difference. A lot of my fave Bordeaux have a bit - like the famous
> Cordier funk (82 & 86 Gruaud, 86 Meyney, 82 & 89 Talbot, etc). 89 and
> 90 Montrose are great if a little bretty, not so great if it shows
> heavily. And Lynch in 70s and 80s often does show it.

I'm with Ed on this. Brett is not my favorite smell and while I like
horses a lot, I prefer they not share their wine with me.

Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 0 04-04-2011 04:11 PM
75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 6 27-05-2010 08:30 PM
Bordeaux '07 Ronin[_3_] Wine 0 01-05-2008 04:33 PM
TN: 61/82 Bordeaux Jim Wine 10 24-01-2006 10:58 AM
Just Don't Get It--Bordeaux Ed Rasimus Wine 16 16-08-2004 04:21 AM