Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly Cabernet based wines, plus a Chardonnay and IT blend

Last night was my turn to host my little Dobbs Ferry group. I put out
some cheeses, sausages, and dips, made a batch of sausage and peppers
so guys could try my homemade sausages and gave the dog a bone to keep
her occupied. Theme was "50+% Cabernet" and everyone brought a blind
bottle. While we gathered we sampled a couple off-theme wines:

2007 Sylvain Langoureau Saint-Aubin*
Nice mid-bodied Chard, I thought a little oaky at first, but when I
revisited didn't find new oak at all! Good crispness, quite minerally
in a chalky kind of way, fresh. B+

2007 Sella "Orbello" (Coste della Sesia)
(the cooking wine for the sausage and peppers) Red fruits, herby,
higher acid, light to mid-bodied. Kind of Chinon meets Langhe. Tasty
and fun, but maybe needs food (or time, the 04 was drinking well a
couple months ago). B

On to the main course, the blind wines:

#1 - (decanted couple hours Fred says) ripe cassis and red plums, a
little leather, no apparent oak. Low acid, moderate tannins. I'm
guessing Northern Medoc for a hot vintage, I get it, but my guesses go
downhill from there. 2003 Sarget de Gruaud (St Julien) B

#2 - mine, so no guesses. I thought I had drunk all of these, found
recently during my Montrose hunt, decided to give a try (with a backup
bottle, as this was during the problem period). No sign of TCA. Fully
mature, a bit of cedar and vanilla over a core of black cherry and
plum fruits, good. 1999 BV "Rutherford" Cabernet Sauvignon. B/B+

#3 - lighter than preceding bottles. Red fruit, not very Cabby, a bit
of herbaceousness. I guess Chile, no it's the 2006 Hess Selection
Cabernet Sauvignon. C+

#4 - whoa, not much doubt that this is new world. Thick, almost
syrupy feeling, blackberries and a little minty note. Others would
like more than me. Napa or Australia? 2005 Panacea "Vindetta" (Napa
Valley). C+/B-

#5 - this is also big and modern, but with a bit of earth, and a more
classic cassis cast to the fruit. Pretty tasty, and I predict it's a
recent modern styled Bordeaux, no it's the 2006 Stella Grey Red Wine
(Napa Valley). This is one of those brands that Zachys basically owns,
I've ignored offers for it, but this is a nice wine. B+

Shocked that we only had one Bordeaux in the mix (even the Belgian
brought a US!), I opened the1986 Ch, Meyney (St Estephe). Some Cordier
funk, more passing a pasture than stepping in it, solid blackcurrant
fruit, cigarbox, leather. Good showing. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**