Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Help with pairing

I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano, pine
nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your opinions.

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:24:44 -0400, "Zeppo" >
wrote:

> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano, pine
> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your opinions.

Those sound to me like things with which I'd greatly prefer a white,
but we all have different tastes in these things.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-09-25 18:24:44 -0700, "Zeppo" > said:

> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano, pine
> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

I'd go for a light pinot noir.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 25, 6:24*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano, pine
> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Like Ronin, I thought of pinot noir. But what kind of dressing on the
salad? That would be a significant factor influencing the choice of
wine, I think.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:24:44 -0400, "Zeppo" >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
>> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
>> pine
>> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
>> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
>> opinions.

> Those sound to me like things with which I'd greatly prefer a white,
> but we all have different tastes in these things.

Jon, I am with Ken here.

The orzo salad, feta et al screams of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to me!!!

And I am trying desperately NOT to show my parochial bias here!!!!

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > skrev i melding
> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
> pine nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I
> was thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
> opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

German Riesling of course, a dry Mosel for the salad, a lightly sweet Rhine
for the hummus.

But why not a good dark rosé - a Cerasuolo type from Italy?

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:51:51 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

> st.helier wrote:
> >
> > "Ken Blake" > wrote in message

> >> Those sound to me like things with which I'd greatly prefer a white,
> >> but we all have different tastes in these things.
> >>

> > Jon, I am with Ken here.
> >
> > The orzo salad, feta et al screams of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to me!!!
> >
> > And I am trying desperately NOT to show my parochial bias here!!!!

> Sounds right. What is orzo, is it a barley salad you guys are discussing?

"Orzo" of course means "barley" in Italian, but in the USA, orzo is a
kind of very small pasta, shaped like a grain of barley or rice.

Does it not exist in Italy? I don't remember ever seeing it on any of
my many trips there.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:33:30 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:24:44 -0400, "Zeppo" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
> >> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
> >> pine
> >> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
> >> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
> >> opinions.

> > Those sound to me like things with which I'd greatly prefer a white,
> > but we all have different tastes in these things.
> >

> Jon, I am with Ken here.
>
> The orzo salad, feta et al screams of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to me!!!
>
> And I am trying desperately NOT to show my parochial bias here!!!!

It may be parochial bias from you, but not from me. Marlborough
Sauvignon Blanc sounds great to me too.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> st.helier wrote:
>>
>> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message

>>> Those sound to me like things with which I'd greatly prefer a white,
>>> but we all have different tastes in these things.
>>>

>> Jon, I am with Ken here.
>>
>> The orzo salad, feta et al screams of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to
>> me!!!
>>
>> And I am trying desperately NOT to show my parochial bias here!!!!

> Sounds right. What is orzo, is it a barley salad you guys are discussing?

Mike,
Orzo are a small rugby ball shaped pasta. I do have a Kim Crawford SB I
could instead.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

"AyTee" > wrote in message
> On Sep 25, 6:24 pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
>> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
>> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
>> pine
>> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
>> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
>> opinions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon

> Like Ronin, I thought of pinot noir. But what kind of dressing on the
> salad? That would be a significant factor influencing the choice of
> wine, I think.

The dressing is olive oil, white vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and oregano.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Zeppo" > skrev i melding
>> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
>> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
>> pine nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I
>> was thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
>> opinions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jon

> German Riesling of course, a dry Mosel for the salad, a lightly sweet
> Rhine for the hummus.
>
> But why not a good dark rosé - a Cerasuolo type from Italy?
>
> Anders

Hmmm, I did just pick up a few bottles of an Argentinean Malbec rosé I
really liked. It's a 2007 Alta Vista Mendoza.
I've already pulled a 2006 Herman Weimer semi-dry Riesling for the hummus.
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 19:33:30 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:24:44 -0400, "Zeppo" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
>>> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
>>> pine
>>> nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I was
>>> thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
>>> opinions.

>> Those sound to me like things with which I'd greatly prefer a white,
>> but we all have different tastes in these things.
>>

>Jon, I am with Ken here.
>
>The orzo salad, feta et al screams of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc to me!!!
>
>And I am trying desperately NOT to show my parochial bias here!!!!
>
>st.helier

Definitely, By the way Your wife wasn't in Brisbane on the 9th of
September by any chance. Beverly and I both swore that we saw her on
the Queen Street Shopping Mall.

Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in
:

> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use
> a little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta,
> oregano, pine nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with
> smoked paprika. I was thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but
> wanted some of your opinions.

For the salad, I would serve a young Albariño. For the hummus with smoked
paprika, a Kabinett riesling with some residual sugar (but not too much)
would be ok with the spicy notes of Smoked Paprika and the chickpeas
flavor.

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in
:

> Hmmm, I did just pick up a few bottles of an Argentinean Malbec rosé I
> really liked. It's a 2007 Alta Vista Mendoza.
> I've already pulled a 2006 Herman Weimer semi-dry Riesling for the
> hummus. Jon

I think you would do well with that choice, as it was my previous
suggestion (mental note: read the full thread before replying).

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Zeppo" > wrote in message
> I'm making a few dishes for our local AWS annual picnic and could use a
> little pairing advice. I am preparing an orzo salad with feta, oregano,
> pine nuts and bell peppers. I'm also making hummus with smoked paprika. I
> was thinking a nice Sangiovese might go well, but wanted some of your
> opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I went with the Herman Weimer semi-dry Riesling for the Humus, which worked
wonderfully, and the Alta Vista Malbec Rose which did not work so well.
However I tried matching to the other wines that folks brought to sample and
really didn't find a great match among the 25 other wines available. Of
course, my taste buds were probably shot after the fifth or sixth wine
anyway.

All in all a fine event. Some excellent food and some very nice wines and
some great company.

Jon

Pairing help Bi!! Wine 8 02-05-2010 10:55 PM
Pairing v. 2 Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 1 23-11-2008 03:31 PM
Pairing Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 26 20-11-2008 03:02 PM
Wine pairing... MaxMustermann Wine 5 29-11-2006 02:14 PM
Cornish Hen pairing Young Martle Wine 4 19-03-2004 07:45 PM