Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Donnhoff, qpr Tuscan, and Hound wine

So yesterday Betsy and I finally had our sausage-making session. She
had given me a grinder attachment to the Kitchenaid, and Dave gave me
a load of casing for Father's Day ( I froze them). Yesterday we made
about 5 pounds- some Italian fennel sausage, some a variant on Alice
Waters' Champagne sausages. The main variance was that I didn't have
any demi-sec Champagne, and debated Brut Champagne vs. off-dry wine.
Ended up with the latter, the 2008 Donnhoff Riesling QbA. A little
lime, a little cherry, a mediumbodied very tasty Riesling. I admit I
was surprised by this, because the "word" is that 08 is a high acid
vintage, especially from those who felt 07 was a tad acid-deficient
(which I didn't for most bottlings). This is a very tasty wine, but
I'd call it softer than the 07. Still, it's Donhoff, and the quality
shows. Excellent Riesling for the money even if not quite what I
expected. B

We froze much of the sausage, but used a bunch to make Mario Batali's
sausage and peppers recipe. Since the mixer was upstairs, Betsy
decided to make fresh fettucine, plus she made Judy Rodger's kale.
Cooking and dinner wine was the 2006 Monte Antico (Tuscany).
Screwcappedl, split a case with couple friends at $8.25/bottle. Good
deal at that price, nicely ripened cherry and raspberry fruit, a
little leather, mild tannins, moderate acidity. Unsure re blend, but
in the past this has been mostly Sangiovese with a bit of Merlot. At
price, good wine. B-/B

We celebrated the Basset hound's birthday a week early, as Betsy will
be away next weekend. This year's barkfest was comparatively limited,
as only 5 canine buddies could join. But the dogs and their people had
a good time on a lovely cool afternoon, and after the last pup left
Betsy threw a chicken in the oven. She also cooked some butternut
squash and made a baby bok choy/pecan/apple salad, and we toasted Lucy
the birthday girl with the 2002 Mulderbosch "Faithful
Hound" (Stellenbosch). Ripe cherries and plums, some vanilla and
toasty oak, tannins mostly resolved. This isn't really fading, plenty
of fruit, decent length, but I can't say it's added any complexity in
last couple years. A decent Bordeaux blend, let's give it a B, even if
we give our faithful hound an A.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Donnhoff, qpr Tuscan, and Hound wine

I've found that difference when cooking with riesling and with cremant is
not great - I do not think the riesling aromas maintain after simmering (as
in, Coq au Riesling, which tasted exactly as Coq au cremant).
You have a recipe for the champagne sausages? Google-san let me down, gomen
nasai ...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 22, 7:40*am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> I've found that difference when cooking with riesling and with cremant is
> not great - I do not think the riesling aromas maintain after simmering (as
> in, Coq au Riesling, which tasted exactly as Coq au cremant).
> You have a recipe for the champagne sausages? Google-san let me down, gomen
> nasai ...

I'll post it when I get home. From an Alice Waters cookbook. Pork,
pate spices, champagne, & black truffles. In addition to the Riesling
for Champagne switch, I used creminis instead of truffles- I went
"budget" for first sausage experiment! I will say that the cup of
wine it called for was too much, but maybe that was from moisture in
the 'shrooms.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 22, 7:40*am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> I've found that difference when cooking with riesling and with cremant is
> not great - I do not think the riesling aromas maintain after simmering (as
> in, Coq au Riesling, which tasted exactly as Coq au cremant).
> You have a recipe for the champagne sausages? Google-san let me down, gomen
> nasai ...

Victoria's Champagne Sausages (Victoria Wise was 1st chef at Chez
Panisse, left to start a charcuterie called Pig by the Tail)

1.5 lb marbled pork butt (shoulder)
1 egg
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp pate spice (2 oz white pepper, 2 oz black pepper,1 oz
coriander seed, 1 oz ginger, 1/2 oz cloves, 1/4 oz nutmeg, ground
together)
1/2 oz black truffle, chopped
1/2 cup demi-sec Champagne
12 feet sheep casing
butter for sauteeing

grind meat finely, add other ingredients, mix, fry a little to check
seasoning. Fill casing,twist every 4 inches
To cook, saute in butter on moderately low heat for 12-15 minutes

So we subbed Riesling for demi-sec champagne, maybe 2-3 ounces of
cremini for the truffles, using pink peppercorns (I know not pepper)
for the white pepper. And we were using pork casings.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I used creminis instead of truffles- I went
>"budget" for first sausage experiment! I will say that the cup of
>wine it called for was too much, but maybe that was from moisture in
>the 'shrooms.

Perhaps sautéeing the mushrooms before adding to the sausage mix would have
improved it. There's more water in mushrooms than in truffles.

Thanks - cheers!

Nils