Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Spain, Mendocino, and Rhone blanc

A cool summer day Friday, I got home and enjoyed a glass of wine on
the front porch with Betsy, the 2005 Domaine des Escaravailles "La
Ponce" Cotes du Rhone. Mid-bodied, honied pears, a bit of pineapple.
Low to middling acids, nothing to look for. B-

We headed up to Scarborough for dinner with friends. Betsy had brought
deviled eggs (curried and shrimp) as an appetizer, I had a glass of
the 2008 Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
peaches. B-

With salmon with a little caper/onion salsa, asparagus, and salad; as
well as some cheeses:
2007 Copain "Tous Ensemble" Syrah (Mendocino)
I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe. Still,
decent acidity, noticable but easy tannins, only a hint of vanillin
oak, tasty. B

2007 Ateca "de Fuego" Garnacha 2007 *
Well, I thought the Copain was ripe till I tasted this. Macerated
cherries, blueberries, jammy. Not my style, but for a cheap fruitbomb
it will appeal (rightly) to lots of people. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> A cool summer day Friday, I got home and enjoyed a glass of wine on
> the front porch with Betsy, the 2005 Domaine des Escaravailles "La
> Ponce" Cotes du Rhone. Mid-bodied, honied pears, a bit of pineapple.
> Low to middling acids, nothing to look for. B-
>
> We headed up to Scarborough for dinner with friends. Betsy had brought
> deviled eggs (curried and shrimp) as an appetizer, I had a glass of
> the 2008 Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
> peaches. B-
>
> With salmon with a little caper/onion salsa, asparagus, and salad; as
> well as some cheeses:
> 2007 Copain "Tous Ensemble" Syrah (Mendocino)
> I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe. Still,
> decent acidity, noticable but easy tannins, only a hint of vanillin
> oak, tasty. B
>
> 2007 Ateca "de Fuego" Garnacha 2007 *
> Well, I thought the Copain was ripe till I tasted this. Macerated
> cherries, blueberries, jammy. Not my style, but for a cheap fruitbomb
> it will appeal (rightly) to lots of people. B-/C+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
about here.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-09-21 14:46:00 -0700, Lawrence Leichtman > said:

> In article
> >,
> DaleW > wrote:
>
>> I had a glass of
>> the 2008 Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
>> peaches. B-
>>

> You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
> not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
> about here.

I had a good QPR albarino today - warm for Portland OR, we lunched on
the sidewalk, and with a "frou frou" Ploughman's lunch I had a glass of
'07 Segrel Albarino from Rias Baixas. Nice pineapple and white peach
aromas and flavours and with a surprising about of body - almost like a
pinot blanc. 12 USD at Vinopolis here in town. Abacela, a
central-Southern Oregon winery makes and often nice albarino, but the
current release, while it has a heavenly nose is a bit thin/watery for
the price, for my taste.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 21, 6:37*pm, Ronin > wrote:
> On 2009-09-21 14:46:00 -0700, Lawrence Leichtman > said:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > *DaleW > wrote:

> >> *I had a glass of
> >> the 2008 *Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
> >> peaches. B-

> > You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
> > not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
> > about here.

> I had a good QPR albarino today - warm for Portland OR, we lunched on
> the sidewalk, and with a "frou frou" Ploughman's lunch I had a glass of
> '07 Segrel Albarino from Rias Baixas. *Nice pineapple and white peach
> aromas and flavours and with a surprising about of body - almost like a
> pinot blanc. *12 USD at Vinopolis here in town. *Abacela, a
> central-Southern Oregon winery makes and often nice albarino, but the
> current release, while it has a heavenly nose is a bit thin/watery for
> the price, for my taste.

I've never had an Albarino that wasn't from Iberia. Sounds
interesting.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 21, 5:46*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *DaleW > wrote:
> > A cool summer day Friday, I got home *and enjoyed a glass of wine on
> > the front porch with Betsy, the 2005 Domaine des Escaravailles "La
> > Ponce" Cotes du Rhone. Mid-bodied, honied pears, a bit of pineapple.
> > Low to middling acids, nothing to look for. B-

> > We headed up to Scarborough for dinner with friends. Betsy had brought
> > deviled eggs (curried and shrimp) as an appetizer, I had a glass of
> > the 2008 *Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
> > peaches. B-

> > With salmon with a little caper/onion salsa, asparagus, and salad; as
> > well as some cheeses:
> > 2007 Copain "Tous Ensemble" Syrah (Mendocino)
> > I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe. Still,
> > decent acidity, noticable but easy tannins, only a hint of vanillin
> > oak, tasty. B

> > 2007 *Ateca "de Fuego" Garnacha 2007 *
> > Well, I thought the Copain was ripe till I tasted this. Macerated
> > cherries, blueberries, jammy. Not my style, but for a cheap fruitbomb
> > it will appeal (rightly) to lots of people. B-/C+

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

> You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
> not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
> about here.

C- implies undrinkable to me, the Codax was not really interesting,
but not flawed.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Sep 21, 5:46*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > *DaleW > wrote:
> > > A cool summer day Friday, I got home *and enjoyed a glass of wine on
> > > the front porch with Betsy, the 2005 Domaine des Escaravailles "La
> > > Ponce" Cotes du Rhone. Mid-bodied, honied pears, a bit of pineapple.
> > > Low to middling acids, nothing to look for. B-

> > > We headed up to Scarborough for dinner with friends. Betsy had brought
> > > deviled eggs (curried and shrimp) as an appetizer, I had a glass of
> > > the 2008 *Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
> > > peaches. B-

> > > With salmon with a little caper/onion salsa, asparagus, and salad; as
> > > well as some cheeses:
> > > 2007 Copain "Tous Ensemble" Syrah (Mendocino)
> > > I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe. Still,
> > > decent acidity, noticable but easy tannins, only a hint of vanillin
> > > oak, tasty. B

> > > 2007 *Ateca "de Fuego" Garnacha 2007 *
> > > Well, I thought the Copain was ripe till I tasted this. Macerated
> > > cherries, blueberries, jammy. Not my style, but for a cheap fruitbomb
> > > it will appeal (rightly) to lots of people. B-/C+

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

> > You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
> > not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
> > about here.

> C- implies undrinkable to me, the Codax was not really interesting,
> but not flawed.

I find it rather thin and watery with little Albariño characteristics to
me.