Old 19-09-2009, 06:22 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Spain, Mendocino, and Rhone blanc

A cool summer day Friday, I got home and enjoyed a glass of wine on
the front porch with Betsy, the 2005 Domaine des Escaravailles "La
Ponce" Cotes du Rhone. Mid-bodied, honied pears, a bit of pineapple.
Low to middling acids, nothing to look for. B-

We headed up to Scarborough for dinner with friends. Betsy had brought
deviled eggs (curried and shrimp) as an appetizer, I had a glass of
the 2008 Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
peaches. B-

With salmon with a little caper/onion salsa, asparagus, and salad; as
well as some cheeses:
2007 Copain "Tous Ensemble" Syrah (Mendocino)
I think of Copain as rather restrained, but this is quite ripe. Still,
decent acidity, noticable but easy tannins, only a hint of vanillin
oak, tasty. B

2007 Ateca "de Fuego" Garnacha 2007 *
Well, I thought the Copain was ripe till I tasted this. Macerated
cherries, blueberries, jammy. Not my style, but for a cheap fruitbomb
it will appeal (rightly) to lots of people. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

Old 21-09-2009, 10:46 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,
DaleW wrote:

[...]

You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
about here.
Old 21-09-2009, 11:37 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-09-21 14:46:00 -0700, Lawrence Leichtman said:

In article
,
DaleW wrote:

I had a glass of
the 2008 Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
peaches. B-

You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
about here.

I had a good QPR albarino today - warm for Portland OR, we lunched on
the sidewalk, and with a "frou frou" Ploughman's lunch I had a glass of
'07 Segrel Albarino from Rias Baixas. Nice pineapple and white peach
aromas and flavours and with a surprising about of body - almost like a
pinot blanc. 12 USD at Vinopolis here in town. Abacela, a
central-Southern Oregon winery makes and often nice albarino, but the
current release, while it has a heavenly nose is a bit thin/watery for
the price, for my taste.

Old 22-09-2009, 06:25 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-09-21 14:46:00 -0700, Lawrence Leichtman said:

In article
,
*DaleW wrote:

*I had a glass of
the 2008 *Martín Codax Albarino - light, innocuous, grapefruit and
peaches. B-

You are much more generous to the Martin Codax to I. C- in my book. Have
not seen this particular Syrah but Mendocino wines are hard to come
about here.

I had a good QPR albarino today - warm for Portland OR, we lunched on
the sidewalk, and with a "frou frou" Ploughman's lunch I had a glass of
'07 Segrel Albarino from Rias Baixas. *Nice pineapple and white peach
aromas and flavours and with a surprising about of body - almost like a
pinot blanc. *12 USD at Vinopolis here in town. *Abacela, a
central-Southern Oregon winery makes and often nice albarino, but the
current release, while it has a heavenly nose is a bit thin/watery for
the price, for my taste.

I've never had an Albarino that wasn't from Iberia. Sounds
interesting.
Old 22-09-2009, 06:26 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 21, 5:46*pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

*DaleW wrote:
[...]

C- implies undrinkable to me, the Codax was not really interesting,
but not flawed.

Old 22-09-2009, 07:46 PM posted to alt.food.wine

In article
,

*DaleW wrote:
[...]

I find it rather thin and watery with little Albariño characteristics to
me.