Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: La Louviere and a critter cab

Dave was joining us for dinner, it was a cool rainy day and Betsy made
braised short ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, and spinach.

Cooking wine was a party leftover, the 2007 Smoking Loon Cabernet
Sauvignon (California). Sweet red plum fruit, a little green herby
note, rather short (and not very CS-ish) but competent and drinkable
red, better than most under $10 CalCabs I've tried recently. C+/B-

Dinner wine was the 1998 Ch. La Louviere (Pessac-Leognan) rouge. Black
cherries and currants, mostly resolved tannins, fruit is still lively
but there are some nice mature notes of cigarbox and damp earth. Holds
up well over 3-4 hours. Some lead pencil/graphite, good length,
balanced acids. Not a powerhouse but a classic cruiserweight Graves.
A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Dave was joining us for dinner, it was a cool rainy day and Betsy made
> braised short ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, and spinach.
>
> Cooking wine was a party leftover, the 2007 Smoking Loon Cabernet
> Sauvignon (California). Sweet red plum fruit, a little green herby
> note, rather short (and not very CS-ish) but competent and drinkable
> red, better than most under $10 CalCabs I've tried recently. C+/B-
>
> Dinner wine was the 1998 Ch. La Louviere (Pessac-Leognan) rouge. Black
> cherries and currants, mostly resolved tannins, fruit is still lively
> but there are some nice mature notes of cigarbox and damp earth. Holds
> up well over 3-4 hours. Some lead pencil/graphite, good length,
> balanced acids. Not a powerhouse but a classic cruiserweight Graves.
> A-/B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

I could have sworn you reviewed a Smoking Loon Cab before. Surprised you
would drink it again. For me, it is a C to C- on your scale.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 13, 1:22*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *DaleW > wrote:
> > Dave was joining us for dinner, it was a cool rainy day and Betsy made
> > braised short ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, and spinach.

> > Cooking wine was a party leftover, the 2007 Smoking Loon Cabernet
> > Sauvignon (California). Sweet red plum fruit, a little green herby
> > note, rather short (and not very CS-ish) but competent and drinkable
> > red, better than most under $10 CalCabs I've tried recently. C+/B-

> > Dinner wine was the 1998 Ch. La Louviere (Pessac-Leognan) rouge. Black
> > cherries and currants, mostly resolved tannins, fruit is still lively
> > but there are some nice mature notes of cigarbox and damp earth. Holds
> > up well over 3-4 hours. Some lead pencil/graphite, good length,
> > balanced acids. Not a powerhouse but a classic cruiserweight Graves.
> > A-/B+

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

> I could have sworn you reviewed a Smoking Loon Cab before. Surprised you
> would drink it again. For me, it is a C to C- on your scale.

It's possible, but I don't recall it. Not something I'd buy, just a
leftover bottle brought by a well meaning non-wine person to our party
Labor Day weekend. I had a small pour to confirm it was sound before
Betsy cooked with it. A tad herby/weedy, but nothing really wrong with
it, and no overpowering oakchip or sweetness.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Sep 13, 1:22*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > *DaleW > wrote:
> > > Dave was joining us for dinner, it was a cool rainy day and Betsy made
> > > braised short ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, and spinach.

> > > Cooking wine was a party leftover, the 2007 Smoking Loon Cabernet
> > > Sauvignon (California). Sweet red plum fruit, a little green herby
> > > note, rather short (and not very CS-ish) but competent and drinkable
> > > red, better than most under $10 CalCabs I've tried recently. C+/B-

> > > Dinner wine was the 1998 Ch. La Louviere (Pessac-Leognan) rouge. Black
> > > cherries and currants, mostly resolved tannins, fruit is still lively
> > > but there are some nice mature notes of cigarbox and damp earth. Holds
> > > up well over 3-4 hours. Some lead pencil/graphite, good length,
> > > balanced acids. Not a powerhouse but a classic cruiserweight Graves.
> > > A-/B+

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

> > I could have sworn you reviewed a Smoking Loon Cab before. Surprised you
> > would drink it again. For me, it is a C to C- on your scale.

> It's possible, but I don't recall it. Not something I'd buy, just a
> leftover bottle brought by a well meaning non-wine person to our party
> Labor Day weekend. I had a small pour to confirm it was sound before
> Betsy cooked with it. A tad herby/weedy, but nothing really wrong with
> it, and no overpowering oakchip or sweetness.

I find it way over-oaked and under-fruit for my tastes.