Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2004 Camille Giroud Chambertin

I grilled duck breasts for dinner last night and served with 2004
Camille Giroud Chambertin GC. The wine was fairly dark in the glass.
Very aromatic nose with plenty of red dirt and stoney mineral notes,
black cherry and coffee. On the palate the wine was quite tight with
a stern acidity and more mineral than fruit with a fairly tannic and
astringent finish. Certainly a case of the "green meanies" as Dale
puts it. I wasn't overwhelmed by the wine given it's pedigree I would
have expected better even in 2004. "B" on the Dale Scale.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 8, 8:22*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I grilled duck breasts for dinner last night and served with 2004
> Camille Giroud Chambertin GC. *The wine was fairly dark in the glass.
> Very aromatic nose with plenty of red dirt and stoney mineral notes,
> black cherry and coffee. *On the palate the wine was quite tight with
> a stern acidity and more mineral than fruit with a fairly tannic and
> astringent finish. *Certainly a case of the "green meanies" as Dale
> puts it. *I wasn't overwhelmed by the wine given it's pedigree I would
> have expected better even in 2004. "B" on the Dale Scale.

too bad,the question of course is what time will do. I haven't had
many Camille Giroud wines, but good rep.
thanks for notes
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 8, 1:11�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 8, 8:22�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I grilled duck breasts for dinner last night and served with 2004
> > Camille Giroud Chambertin GC. �The wine was fairly dark in the glass.
> > Very aromatic nose with plenty of red dirt and stoney mineral notes,
> > black cherry and coffee. �On the palate the wine was quite tight with
> > a stern acidity and more mineral than fruit with a fairly tannic and
> > astringent finish. �Certainly a case of the "green meanies" as Dale
> > puts it. �I wasn't overwhelmed by the wine given it's pedigree I would
> > have expected better even in 2004. "B" on the Dale Scale.

> too bad,the question of course is what time will do. I haven't had
> many Camille Giroud wines, but good rep.
> thanks for notes

Given the intense aromas and the lack of up front fruit time might
help a bit but I don't think that the tannins will soften enough to
gain much balance. My take on Giroud is that they under-achieve at
the upper end and over-achieve on the lower end.