Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bastille Day, with 3 colors of wine

I went to an early Bastille Day party last night, probably 40% French,
40% US-born, and 20% "other." Great crowd of people, with intriguing
conversations. Food was really delicious- pork, salmon, cucumber soup,
gazpacho, charcuterie, outstanding cheeses, etc. But the culinary high
point for me was the salad Nicoise - I'll have to copy Fred's plan. He
put out separately dressed beans, potatoes, olives, anchovies, eggs,
and sliced tuna in varying degrees of doneness. Self-assembly, with
people choosing only what they want. Perfect for a party!

Lots of wine, mostly but not exclusively French:

White
2007 Paul Pernot Bourgogne
I've consistently really enjoyed this. Ripe and full but with good
acids, clean pear fruit with just ahint of oak and nice chalky
finish. Great value. B+

2007 Giraudon Bourgogne Aligote
Lean and maybe a bit green, citric. Light, straightforward. B/B-

Pink

2008 Domaine Sainte Lucie "MiP" (Cotes de Provence)
Very pale, tasty, pretty strawberry fruit with alittle underbrush and
herb, quite nice. B+

2008 Robert Oatley Rose of Sangiovese ( Mudgee, Australia)
Bigger, a touch austere, I'd have never guessed Sangiovese. Cherry,
straightforward. B

2008 Mas de Gourgonnier ( Les Baux de Provence)
Red berries, herbs, citrusy acids. B

2008 Folie a Deux "Menage a Trois" Rose
Somewhat exotic nose, bigger than other roses, a tad disjointed,
seems a bit hot. B-/C+

2008 Domaine Bart Marsannay Rose
Really nice, Rainier cherries and sweet raspberry, clean and light,
zippy acids, neck and neck with the MiP as my favorite. B+

Red

2007*Gonon*"Les Iles*Feray" (Vin de Pays de l'Ardeche).*
I brought this but Fred had some too! Dark fruits, smoke, pepper, good
acids and length. Very nice for $16 Syrah! B+

2006 Cousin "Pur Breton" Anjou
Just a little brett, very high acidity, red fruit with a little
tobacco and that poop. I like better than some others. B

2007 *Domaine de Boissan "Cuvee Clemence" Cotes-du-Rhone-Villages
Sablet
Ripe, forward, some light tannins, not bad at all. B

*2005 Les Tonillieres Pic St Loup
Big, low acid, tannins a little hard, short finish for a big wine. B-

Excellent night with excellent people

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*