Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Theme dinner parties

We’ve had several dinner parties at our house with a close group of friends.
Some of the menus have been based on recipes from cookbooks like:
“A Treasury of Great Recipes” by Mary and Vincent Price (beautiful book)
“Mickey’s Gourmet Cookbook” (with recipes from Disneyland and Disney World)

We also hosted a “cooking party” with an Italian theme, where each couple
prepared a dish. It was a casual/formal affair where the men wore suits or sport
coats. A friend and I were the servers, and we would change into our server
jackets (tacky, maroon jackets that I had purchased for $1 each at a rental
agency) to serve the food. We had name tags on our jackets – I was Ricardo, he
was Davido, and Davido would always flirt with a very attractive lady while
serving (it was his wife!). After serving, we changed jackets and returned to
the table where the attractive lady would mention that the server was flirting
with her.

Next up: In honor of Julia Child and the new movie with Meryl Streep, we’ll host
another dinner party – but where to begin? My wife has every book ever written
by Julia, and the menu could be difficult.

Wines: I’ll always dig into my cellar and find something appropriate.

Dick
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Dick R." > wrote:

> We¹ve had several dinner parties at our house with a close group of friends.
> Some of the menus have been based on recipes from cookbooks like:
> ³A Treasury of Great Recipes² by Mary and Vincent Price (beautiful book)
> ³Mickey¹s Gourmet Cookbook² (with recipes from Disneyland and Disney World)
>
> We also hosted a ³cooking party² with an Italian theme, where each couple
> prepared a dish. It was a casual/formal affair where the men wore suits or
> sport
> coats. A friend and I were the servers, and we would change into our server
> jackets (tacky, maroon jackets that I had purchased for $1 each at a rental
> agency) to serve the food. We had name tags on our jackets * I was Ricardo,
> he
> was Davido, and Davido would always flirt with a very attractive lady while
> serving (it was his wife!). After serving, we changed jackets and returned to
> the table where the attractive lady would mention that the server was
> flirting
> with her.
>
> Next up: In honor of Julia Child and the new movie with Meryl Streep, we¹ll
> host
> another dinner party * but where to begin? My wife has every book ever
> written
> by Julia, and the menu could be difficult.
>
> Wines: I¹ll always dig into my cellar and find something appropriate.
>
> Dick

Very clever theme.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dick R. wrote:

> Next up: In honor of Julia Child and the new movie with Meryl Streep,
> we’ll host another dinner party – but where to begin? My wife has every
> book ever written by Julia, and the menu could be difficult.

I'd argue that two of her more famous recipes are for Vichyssoise and
Coq au Vin. The latter is certainly a very wine-friendly dish. Nice
idea, BTW!

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Dick R. wrote:
>
>>Next up: In honor of Julia Child and the new movie with Meryl Streep,
>>we’ll host another dinner party – but where to begin? My wife has every
>>book ever written by Julia, and the menu could be difficult.

> I'd argue that two of her more famous recipes are for Vichyssoise and
> Coq au Vin. The latter is certainly a very wine-friendly dish. Nice
> idea, BTW!

Thanks for the suggestions Mark,
My beautiful wife Linda is also a fantastic cook. She does have a penchant for
collecting cook books, 1400 at last count. It's always interesting to open an
old cookbook from the 1800s and find a hand written recipe for salt pork made in
a barrel in the barn or other recipes that are "timeless".
We will take your suggestions to heart, and I think this next party is going to
be fun!

Dick (I'll supply the wine)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 25, 5:34*pm, "Dick R." > wrote:
> Mark Lipton wrote:
> > Dick R. wrote:

> >>Next up: In honor of Julia Child and the new movie with Meryl Streep,
> >>we’ll host another dinner party – but where to begin? My wife has every
> >>book ever written by Julia, and the menu could be difficult.

> > I'd argue that two of her more famous recipes are for Vichyssoise and
> > Coq au Vin. *The latter is certainly a very wine-friendly dish. *Nice
> > idea, BTW!

> Thanks for the suggestions Mark,
> My beautiful wife Linda is also a fantastic cook. She does have a penchant for
> collecting cook books, 1400 at last count. It's always interesting to open an
> old cookbook from the 1800s and find a hand written recipe for salt pork made in
> a barrel in the barn or other recipes that are "timeless".
> We will take your suggestions to heart, and I think this next party is going to
> be fun!
>
> Dick (I'll supply the wine)

Sounds like some nice parties. Apparently Vincent Price was a real
gourmet.
The movie is from the Julia and Julie book, correct? I'd agree with
the coq au vin idea.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Theme dinner parties - Mark, Dale, Larry, all

DaleW wrote:
> On Jun 25, 5:34 pm, "Dick R." > wrote:
>
>>Mark Lipton wrote:

>>>I'd argue that two of her more famous recipes are for Vichyssoise and
>>>Coq au Vin. The latter is certainly a very wine-friendly dish. Nice
>>>idea, BTW!

>>Thanks for the suggestions Mark,
>>My beautiful wife Linda is also a fantastic cook. She does have a penchant for
>>collecting cook books, 1400 at last count. It's always interesting to open an
>>old cookbook from the 1800s and find a hand written recipe for salt pork made in
>>a barrel in the barn or other recipes that are "timeless".
>>We will take your suggestions to heart, and I think this next party is going to
>>be fun!
>>

> Sounds like some nice parties. Apparently Vincent Price was a real
> gourmet.

"A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price was published in 1965
and contains wonderful photos from their worldwide trips, menus from
restaurants, and interesting personal information. The menu from Hotel De La
Poste in Beaune had a wine list that made me salivate. Wines from the 1930s,
1950s and 1960s that are probably just memories now. Cozy up by the fireplace
on a cold winter evening and read a "cook book"? Yes!
> The movie is from the Julia and Julie book, correct?

I think so, and I'm anxious to see the movie.
> I'd agree with the coq au vin idea.

We'll check it out!

Thanks all,
Linda and Dick (AKA Ricardo) :-)