Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '07 Godello

Last night, our Father's Day dinner consisted of some pork ribs with a
spicy rub smoked on the BBQ with "Kenyan" kale* as a side dish. Jean
decided to open a bottle we'd lugged back from Spain with this:

2007 Bodega La Tapada Guitián Valdeorras "sobre lías"
nose: subtly herbal in a green sort of way, pineapply fruit
palate: rounded mouthfeel, moderate acidity

For those 2-3 people who've waded through my Barcelona trip report, you
may recall that one of my favorite wines of the trip was an '07
Valdeorras from Valdesil. While I wasn't able to find that wine for
sale, I did find the subject wine, which I had attempted in broken
Spanish with the staff of Vila Vinoteca to assure myself wasn't an
overly oaked version ("No me gustan los viños en roble nuevo"). This
version wasn't oaked at all: the back label explains that it was
fermented in stainless steel and, as the name implies aged on its own
lees, which likely accounts for the rounded mouthfeel of the wine.
Although I preferred the refreshing acidity of the Valdesil, this
version was very pleasant and went surprisingly well with the food. The
Art Deco label was also very appealing ;-)

Mark Lipton

* "Kenyan" kale is a preparation taught to us by a former Keynan student
of Jean's: sautéeing chopped kale leaves with diced tomato in olive oil
until the kale is wilted and the tomato has "melted."

[TN] Good Godello Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 23-08-2012 06:47 AM
TN: Bramaterra and Godello DaleW Wine 1 19-11-2011 11:44 PM
TN: Good god, Godello! DaleW Wine 2 05-08-2009 01:39 PM
TN: wines with a runaway hound (SB, SuperT, PN, Godello) DaleW Wine 4 29-08-2008 05:34 PM
TN: Excellent Loire Cab Franc, and a good Godello DaleW Wine 2 03-06-2008 07:46 PM