Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Father's Day weekend (France, Italy, Germany, and US)

Zachys has been having some amazing mailing list closeouts, and I went
over Saturday and picked up several cases (mostly $20 Barolo), But I
love varierty, so had let a few friends have some bottles at cost (or
in two cases traded a couple of the $10 specials for ones that others
bought cases of in same sale). One such trade was for the 2007
Giovanni Rosso "Le Quattro Vigne" Dolcetto d'Alba. I decided to have a
glass with a very late dinner with my father-in-law and Dave (f-i-l
flew in Sat night, but his 6:30 arrival ended up being 8:45). With a
bean/sausage/ham stew I had simmering, the Dolcetto was fruit forward
and just a little grapey. Red plum and darker berries, rather firm yet
not raspy tannins, low acidity. Correct if not especially exciting, B/
B-

Father's Day we had Betsy's dad as well as her sister, brother-in-law,
niece and nephew for dinner. The sister's family are pesce-
vegetarians, so we planned according. King crab legs, grilled Copper
River sockeye, grilled vegetables (we got in the grilling, but had to
eat inside due to intermittent rain), spahgetti with a garlic scape
sauce, salad, savory bluecheesecake, and cake. After dinner we watched
a DVD that Kath had made from old home movies for her dad. The
evening's wines:

NV Sciarpa Prosecco
Light, citrus, a little floral, refreshing but a bit thin. B-

2007 Donnhoff Riesling (Nahe)
An annual favorite, but I especially like this year. Lime, apples, and
cherries, good acidity, creamy mouthfeel, great for a QbA. B++

1988 Monceau-Boch " Champans" Volnay 1er Cru
Light color, red cherries and strawberries, a little hint of caramel,
still some tannins. Earth and decaying leaves, fruit seems to deepen a
bit with some time/air, lots of sediment. Pretty good, the tannins are
just a bit much for the lighter styled fruit. Other than that I would
have loved. B

2003 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley)
I liked this more than a recent '02 Sonoma. Good fairly rich red
fruits, some earth and mushroom, a hint of sandal/spice,.smooth mostly
resolved tannins, balanced acidity. Not especially long, but a very
nice CalPN. B+

2005 Ch. Puy-Guilhem (Fronsac)
This was afterwards. Quite tannic for a satellite, cassis and some
blackberry, just a hint of oak, tight. At had planned these are
everyday Bordeaux, but this needs time. A C+/B- for drinking now, but
I think will show better in a few years, I'll say B in potential.

Nice night (the 60s home movies were better than the wines).