Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Kamen Wines

I had lunch yesterday with Robert Kamen of Kamen Wines. I've know
Robert for a number of years and he and his team are making so pretty
good stuff these days. Robert is also a pretty good screenwriter
having written a number of well known scripts such as "The Karate Kid"
and my personal favorite "A Walk in the Clouds"

2005 Syrah-Deep black fruit notes, nice balance, very Hermitage like
with a bit of sage and briar, red meat, iron and minerals.

2006 Syrah-A bit more plush and lush with very ripe blueberry and
blackberry flavors, a bit of vanilla, anise and cocoa notes.

2005 Cabernet "Kashmir" -Their premium wine. Quite plush and
concentrated. Smooth as silk. Very ripe, black cherry, blackberry,
brown sugar and exotic spice. Ultra concentrated..more of a cocktail
wine but quite delicious.

2005 Cabernet-Polished and smooth. Vewry well balanced and very
foody. Nice dusty black fruit with a bit of spice and vanilla.

We opened a bottle of 1997 Gaja San Lorenzo that was badly corked and
a bottle of Sessitti Pertimali 1997 Brunello that was outstanding.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:40:47 -0700 (PDT):

> I had lunch yesterday with Robert Kamen of Kamen Wines. I've know
>Robert for a number of years and he and his team are making so pretty
>good stuff these days. Robert is also a pretty good screenwriter
>having written a number of well known scripts such as "The Karate Kid"
>and my personal favorite "A Walk in the Clouds"

ds"

> concentrated..more of a cocktail wine but quite delicious.

> 2005 Cabernet-Polished and smooth. Vewry well balanced and
> very foody. Nice dusty black fruit with a bit of spice and
> vanilla.

Interesting but a bit irrelevant. I don't want to be excessively
sarcastic but, IMHO, as a wine maker, Francis Coppola made good movies
too.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 19, 5:24�pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> �Bi!! �wrote �on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:40:47 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > I had lunch yesterday with Robert Kamen of Kamen Wines. �I've know
> >Robert for a number of years and he and his team are making so pretty
> >good stuff these days. �Robert is also a pretty good screenwriter
> >having written a number of well known scripts such as "The Karate Kid"
> >and my personal favorite "A Walk in the Clouds"

> ds"
>
> > concentrated..more of a cocktail wine but quite delicious.
> > 2005 Cabernet-Polished and smooth. �Vewry well balanced and
> > very foody. Nice dusty black fruit with a bit of spice and
> > vanilla.

> Interesting but a bit irrelevant. I don't want to be excessively
> sarcastic but, IMHO, as a wine maker, Francis Coppola made good movies
> too.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I only added that he was screenwriter because I'm often asked if he's
the same guy who is the screenwriter who wrote "A Walk in the Clouds"
since it's a movie about a vineyard. IMHO, Kamen makes better wines
than Coppola. Have you had his wines?
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:04:04 -0700 (PDT):

> On Jun 19, 5:24�pm, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>> �Bi!! �wrote �on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:40:47 -0700 (PDT):
>>
> >> I had lunch yesterday with Robert Kamen of Kamen Wines.
> >> �I've know Robert for a number of years and he and his team
> >> are making so pretty good stuff these days. �Robert is also
> >> a pretty good screenwriter having written a number of well
> >> known scripts such as "The Karate Kid" and my personal
> >> favorite "A Walk in the Clouds"

>> ds"
>>
> >> concentrated..more of a cocktail wine but quite delicious.
> >> 2005 Cabernet-Polished and smooth. �Vewry well balanced and
> >> very foody. Nice dusty black fruit with a bit of spice and
> >> vanilla.

>> Interesting but a bit irrelevant. I don't want to be
>> excessively sarcastic but, IMHO, as a wine maker, Francis
>> Coppola made good movies too. --
>>

>I only added that he was screenwriter because I'm often asked if he's
>he same guy who is the screenwriter who wrote "A Walk in the Clouds"
>since it's a movie about a vineyard. IMHO, Kamen makes better wines
>than Coppola. Have you had his wines?

No, not yet. I'll look for them. As you can tell, I'm not that impressed
by Coppola.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 19, 9:05�pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> �Bi!! �wrote �on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:04:04 -0700 (PDT):
>

> > On Jun 19, 5:24 pm, "James Silverton"
> > > wrote:

> >> ds"

> >> Interesting but a bit irrelevant. I don't want to be
> >> excessively sarcastic but, IMHO, as a wine maker, Francis
> >> Coppola made good movies too. --

> >I only added that he was screenwriter because I'm often asked if he's
> >he same guy who is the screenwriter who wrote "A Walk in the Clouds"
> >since it's a movie about a vineyard. �IMHO, Kamen makes better wines
> >than Coppola. Have you had his wines?

> No, not yet. I'll look for them. As you can tell, I'm not that impressed
> by Coppola.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide quoted text -

Niether am I. Last bottle I bought was off a restaurant wine list and
it was awful stuff.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> No, not yet. I'll look for them. As you can tell, I'm not that impressed
> by Coppola.

Niether am I. Last bottle I bought was off a restaurant wine list and
it was awful stuff.

I bought only ONE bottle, but that was enough for me.

What about Greg Norman's wines. I've bought TWO bottles, but liked nary one
of those either.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > No, not yet. I'll look for them. As you can tell, I'm not that impressed
> > by Coppola.
> >

> Niether am I. Last bottle I bought was off a restaurant wine list and
> it was awful stuff.
>

> I bought only ONE bottle, but that was enough for me.
>

> What about Greg Norman's wines. I've bought TWO bottles, but liked nary one
> of those either.
>
> Dee Dee

Has anyone had a celebrity wine that was any good? So far, I haven't.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-06-20 04:58:17 -0700, "Dee Randall" > said:

>> No, not yet. I'll look for them. As you can tell, I'm not that impressed
>> by Coppola.
>>

> Niether am I. Last bottle I bought was off a restaurant wine list and
> it was awful stuff.
>

> I bought only ONE bottle, but that was enough for me.

OK, give him a "D" for wines, but an "A" for trying - some time ago I
was at his house for a party (where the sound of my feet was recorded
for Apocolipse Now) and was impressed at his trying to maintain the
Gustave Niebaum/ Inglenook wines of the '40's... His purchase of the
estate was instigated by a desire to keep the estate out of "corporate"
hands.