Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Assorted wines - Brunello, CA, south of France, Loire, Rioja, etc

Thursday Betsy made duck legs with turnips, we opened a half bottle of
2005 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Nice midweight, pretty much what one
would expect from a Jadot village bottling in a good year- correct and
typical, not flashy. Some Gevrey meatiness, dark berry fruit, enough
tannin and acid this could age a bit. Good length on finish for level.
B/B+

Friday I was joining the guys for local tasting group, we had dinner
before hand, she had made skirt steak in a Worchestshire/mustard/
garlic marinade, with baked potatoes and salad. Used the cooking wine
from the duck, the 2007 Delas "Saint-Esprit" Cotes du Rhone. Ripe,
both red and black fruit, pretty big for CdR, could pass as a CdP
(though I'm told its mostly Syrah). B/B-

On to Roger's for the evening's entertainment. Blind as usual, with
the only stipulation was "bring something you own, no going to the
store." As the group's cellars range from 0 to 1500 bottles, lots of
latitude.

First up, a non-blind starter that Fred brought (open bottle):
2007 Isa Blanc (VdP Cotes de Thongue)- Organic, blend of Roussane and
Viognier. Fred says Thongue is in south, considering the blend and the
location it has decent acidity. Very floral, almost cloying to me.
Others like more than I, but still a B-

On to the reds:
First wine up- big, extracted, quite a bit of oak. I'm thinking
Australian Shiraz but Marc makes that guess and is told no. Further
consideration, there's some leather and dried cherry underneath, I
hazard a guess of Tuscany, yep, SuperTuscan , no, ok modern Brunello.
1999 La Magia Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. B

Wine #2- first sip I really hated this, but then I realized it was the
cheeses (goat and a soft cow) that I had just tried. OK,
recalibrating, ripe juicy red, some balsam and tobacco. Good acidity.
Marc goes Loire, yep, the mint makes me try again to make sure Fred's
not throwing another Loire Gamay or PdA at us, no, typical Cab Franc
aromas, I guess Chinon. Nope, the 2005 Thierry*Germain*Saumur-
Champigny. B/B+

Wine #3- I'm quickly in modern styled Bordeaux- big cassis fruit, lots
of wood, some pencil notes. Pretty structured, I'm guessing 2000 or
2002 Medoc. 2004*Lascombes*(Margaux). Oak needs to integrate, for
now,. B-

Wine # 4 is mine. Both French guys guess Bordeaux right off, but Marc
gets New World and Dave gets California. Black cherry liqueur, cassis,
a bit of espresso, modern but with some leather and earth. 2001 Havens
Bourriquot (Napa). B+

Wine #5 - lighter bodied than last few bottles, cherry fruit, I think
Pinot Noir but then decide maybe Languedoc carignan blend. Nope.
Italian PN. 2007*Monte*Degli Angeli*Pinot*Noir* C+

Wine #6- mature, brighter cherry fruit, leather, dried leaves, a
little dill. Someone says 80s Bordeaux but I think no way. I guess 90s
Spanish, ding ding. Rioja? Yes. At end of life but surprisingly good.
1995*Marques de Murrieta*"Ygay" Rioja Reserva. B+*

A St Chinian was being opened as I left, but it was already midnight
and I was walking home in rain, luckily one I had tried so my resolve
held and I headed home.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*