Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1995 Monsanto Il Poggio Riserva

While rummaging around in the cellar I found two bottles of 1995
Monsanto Il Poggio RIserva Chianti and decided to open one with
dinner. The wine was slightly brickish but I find that a lot of
Chianti and Sangiovese have a brickish cast to them even when young.
The nose was a bit tight and restrained with a bit of tobacco and a
woody cedary note. On the palate the wine was a bit tired. The fruit
was somewhat flat witha bit of sour cherry and a slight herbal note.
THe tannins were very drying on the palate almost a dusty feel.
OVerall not very charming and just drinkable. "C"
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
> While rummaging around in the cellar I found two bottles of 1995
> Monsanto Il Poggio RIserva Chianti and decided to open one with
> dinner. The wine was slightly brickish but I find that a lot of
> Chianti and Sangiovese have a brickish cast to them even when young.
> The nose was a bit tight and restrained with a bit of tobacco and a
> woody cedary note. On the palate the wine was a bit tired. The fruit
> was somewhat flat witha bit of sour cherry and a slight herbal note.
> THe tannins were very drying on the palate almost a dusty feel.
> OVerall not very charming and just drinkable. "C"

http://www.snooth.com/wine/umberto-c...l-poggio-1995/

I'm trying to understand a little mo
The wine I'm linking to says that it is Cesari and Il Poggio 1995
Your bottles were Monsanto and Il Poggio 1995

If Cesari is a winery
and
Monsanto is a winery?

What is the Il Poggio referring to?

Thanks so much.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello

Poggio means "hill, small hill, hillock". Since most Tuscany vineyards are
on hills and slopes it is rather generic . It is not the name of a specific
vineyard as far as I know.
HTH

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Randall" > skrev i melding ...

> I'm trying to understand a little mo
> The wine I'm linking to says that it is Cesari and Il Poggio 1995
> Your bottles were Monsanto and Il Poggio 1995

Nils is probably right about Il Poggio in general, but here is from the website of Castello di Monsanto on what they call "The first Chianti Classico crû .... made only in the best years":

Appellation: Chianti Classico DOCG Riserva
Production zone: Località Monsanto - Barberino Val d'Elsa (Florence)
Grape mixtu Sangiovese, 90%; Canaiolo and Colorino, 10%
Vineyard: Il Poggio (5.5 hectares)
Soil composition: schistose marl consisting of petrified clay
streaked with marly veins, rich in minerals
Yield per hecta 60-65 quintals (2.7-2.9 tons an acre)
Vinification: in stainless steel at a controlled temperature
with about 25 days of skin contact
Maturation: 18 months in French-oak barriques new
and used once before
Bottle aging: 12 months
First year of production: 1962
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Randall" > skrev i melding

> What is the Il Poggio referring to?

Umberto Cesari Il Poggio seems to be a quite different animal... Here is
some info:
This is where Umberto Cesari has 130 acres of vineyards near the ancient
Roman road leading from Milano to Rimini.
Il Poggio is considered by many to produce some of the best wines of Emilia
Romagna. They all come from Cesari family vineyards.
Mr. Cesari is a thoroughly modern man with deep attachments to his beloved
Emilia Romagna. He is also a big fan of Sangiovese and he believes in
allowing the grape to express its distinctive personality in the wine.
To achieve this, Mr. Cesari ferments the wine in stainless steel. He also
carefully monitors the temperature during fermentation so it doesn't get too
hot and destroy the lovely fruit aromas.
The wine never touches oak either. That would only cover up the strawberry
and cherry flavors, which would be a shame!

The Cesari wine is 14USD a bottle, the Monsanto about 50-60USD...

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > skrev i melding
>>

>> What is the Il Poggio referring to?
>>

> Umberto Cesari Il Poggio seems to be a quite different animal... Here is
> some info:
> This is where Umberto Cesari has 130 acres of vineyards near the ancient
> Roman road leading from Milano to Rimini.
> Il Poggio is considered by many to produce some of the best wines of
> Emilia Romagna. They all come from Cesari family vineyards.
> Mr. Cesari is a thoroughly modern man with deep attachments to his beloved
> Emilia Romagna. He is also a big fan of Sangiovese and he believes in
> allowing the grape to express its distinctive personality in the wine.
> To achieve this, Mr. Cesari ferments the wine in stainless steel. He also
> carefully monitors the temperature during fermentation so it doesn't get
> too hot and destroy the lovely fruit aromas.
> The wine never touches oak either. That would only cover up the strawberry
> and cherry flavors, which would be a shame!
>
> The Cesari wine is 14USD a bottle, the Monsanto about 50-60USD...
>
> Anders

Thanks for the post.

Monsanto? No way! "what's in a name?"
I did try a Monsanto recently upon the advice of a 'wine salesman' 11-5-08
for $21 reg $27
Here it is and my comment:

Fattori Monsanto (or Montsanto) Chianti Classico Reserva DOCG 2005
90% sangiovese, canaiolo 7%, colorino 3%;

Bottled byFabrizio Bianchi

Horrible - Don't buy again.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Randall" > skrev i melding

..

> Monsanto? No way! "what's in a name?"
> I did try a Monsanto recently upon the advice of a 'wine salesman' 11-5-08
> for $21 reg $27
> Here it is and my comment:
>
> Fattori Monsanto (or Montsanto) Chianti Classico Reserva DOCG 2005
> 90% sangiovese, canaiolo 7%, colorino 3%;
>
> Bottled byFabrizio Bianchi
>
> Horrible - Don't buy again.

Yes, but didn't we talk about the Monsanto Il Poggio? That is a 50USD
wine... The ordinary Classico Reserva is 15-27USD according to
wine-searcher.com
Whether any is horrible, I don't know :-)
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 4, 9:37*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> While rummaging around in the cellar I found two bottles of 1995
> Monsanto Il Poggio RIserva Chianti and decided to open one with
> dinner. *The wine was slightly brickish but I find that a lot of
> Chianti and Sangiovese have a brickish cast to them even when young.
> The nose was a bit tight and restrained with a bit of tobacco and a
> woody cedary note. *On the palate the wine was a bit tired. *The fruit
> was somewhat flat witha bit of sour cherry and a slight herbal note.
> THe tannins were very drying on the palate almost a dusty feel.
> OVerall not very charming and just drinkable. "C"

Too bad. '95 CCRs can be quite nice (the Felsina Rancia is drinking
nicely now). Overall, Monsanto isn't one of my favorite producers.
Though the '78 Il Poggio was alive and kicking last year!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Regardless of the quality of Monsanto, poggio is a name found all over Italy
in various combinations. I doubt that it has the same "cru" status as, for
instance, Chambertin, or, for that matter, Cannubi (to keep on the right
side of the border).

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 4, 4:07*pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Regardless of the quality of Monsanto, poggio is a name found all over Italy
> in various combinations. I doubt that it has the same "cru" status as, for
> instance, Chambertin, or, for that matter, Cannubi (to keep on the right
> side of the border).
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Well, lots of famous vineyards don't have official status- I don't
think Clos Ste Hune, Martha's Vineyard, etc do. I don't think Austrian
(Singerriedel) vineyards have any official classification. Many
others. But I do think that Monsanto's "Il Poggio" is a single
monopole vineyard, and have never seen that on another Chianti label.
But you're right Poggio is common, one of the reasons I have trouble
remembering Brunellos.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 4, 11:06�am, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> > While rummaging around in the cellar I found two bottles of 1995
> > Monsanto Il Poggio RIserva Chianti and decided to open one with
> > dinner. �The wine was slightly brickish but I find that a lot of
> > Chianti and Sangiovese have a brickish cast to them even when young.
> > The nose was a bit tight and restrained with a bit of tobacco and a
> > woody cedary note. �On the palate the wine was a bit tired. �The fruit
> > was somewhat flat witha bit of sour cherry and a slight herbal note.
> > THe tannins were very drying on the palate almost a dusty feel.
> > OVerall not very charming and just drinkable. "C"

> http://www.snooth.com/wine/umberto-c...-romagna-super...
>
> I'm trying to understand a little mo
> The wine I'm linking to says that it is Cesari and Il Poggio 1995
> Your bottles were Monsanto and Il Poggio 1995
>
> If Cesari is a winery
> and
> Monsanto is a winery?
>
> What is the Il Poggio referring to?
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> Dee Dee

Everybody seems to have answered your question so I'll leave it at
Monsanto Il Poggio (the hilltop) is Monsanto's top wine only bottled
in "good" years. he picture on the label kind of explain it.This
bottle was a bit tired, still drinkable but not at top form. When it
was young it was quite tasty but still only a "B+" IIRC. Thanks
Anders for the reference from the Monsanto website.