Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '89 Grande Dame

First of all, thanks to you all for your congratulations. The public
celebration of our 20th anniversary took place this Saturday. We threw
a party for our friends from work, our neighbors and friends from
childcare. At its height, there were probably 40 or so people in our
home, and a gaggle of 8 children aged 2-5 upstairs with two babysitters
(Andrew was having a party in parallel with our own). We served various
finger foods: a 5.5 lb side of farmed Scottish salmon that I smoked, a
huge batch of gambas al ajillo, some skewers of moo ping from our
excellent local Thai restaurant, bread and platters of cheese, salume,
antipasti and vegetables. We had various still wines on hand, as well
as a case of Gruet Brut, but the centerpiece to the event was Jean's
gift to me:

1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
nose: lemons, lightly toasty
palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately
toasty finish

The backstory is that Jean opened a bottle of NV Veuve Clicquot in '88
to propose to me (yes, Larry, I am lucky), so she decided that it would
be apropos to celebrate with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot from the year of
our marriage and was able to find a double magnum for sale at Crush in
NYC. We were both pleasantly surprised at how young and vibrant this
wine was. Having only had La Grande Dame a few times previously, I
can't say that I'm an expert on the house style, but this wine seemed
less acidic but also a bit more complex than what I recalled. Very
little earthy/mushroomy/oxidative character to this wine, reflecting
most likely the large format. (side note: I got the cork out with some
effort as the backpressure was much reduced over the standard for a
young bottle) Consensus was that this was a crowd pleaser of an aged
Champers, which in the end was for the best.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> First of all, thanks to you all for your congratulations. The public
> celebration of our 20th anniversary took place this Saturday. We threw
> a party for our friends from work, our neighbors and friends from
> childcare. At its height, there were probably 40 or so people in our
> home, and a gaggle of 8 children aged 2-5 upstairs with two babysitters
> (Andrew was having a party in parallel with our own). We served various
> finger foods: a 5.5 lb side of farmed Scottish salmon that I smoked, a
> huge batch of gambas al ajillo, some skewers of moo ping from our
> excellent local Thai restaurant, bread and platters of cheese, salume,
> antipasti and vegetables. We had various still wines on hand, as well
> as a case of Gruet Brut, but the centerpiece to the event was Jean's
> gift to me:
>
> 1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
> nose: lemons, lightly toasty
> palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately
> toasty finish
>
> The backstory is that Jean opened a bottle of NV Veuve Clicquot in '88
> to propose to me (yes, Larry, I am lucky), so she decided that it would
> be apropos to celebrate with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot from the year of
> our marriage and was able to find a double magnum for sale at Crush in
> NYC. We were both pleasantly surprised at how young and vibrant this
> wine was. Having only had La Grande Dame a few times previously, I
> can't say that I'm an expert on the house style, but this wine seemed
> less acidic but also a bit more complex than what I recalled. Very
> little earthy/mushroomy/oxidative character to this wine, reflecting
> most likely the large format. (side note: I got the cork out with some
> effort as the backpressure was much reduced over the standard for a
> young bottle) Consensus was that this was a crowd pleaser of an aged
> Champers, which in the end was for the best.
>
> Mark Lipton

Again congratulations. Can't say I have ever had Grande Dame as I never
wanted to pay the price. Sounds like a great party.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in :

> 1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
> nose: lemons, lightly toasty
> palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately
> toasty finish

I have a 3L of '88 Grande Dame. Any notes? It was going to be the
centerpiece of my 40th birthday in '03, but we had just moved here and
didn't know many people let alone enough to make opening a 3L of Champagne
worthwhile.

Fred.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Fred wrote:
> Mark Lipton > wrote in :
>
>> 1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
>> nose: lemons, lightly toasty
>> palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately
>> toasty finish

> I have a 3L of '88 Grande Dame. Any notes? It was going to be the
> centerpiece of my 40th birthday in '03, but we had just moved here and
> didn't know many people let alone enough to make opening a 3L of Champagne
> worthwhile.

No notes from me, Fred. As I said, this isn't a wine I get a lot of.
However, I'd be happy to help you dispose of yours :P Both '88 and '89
were "declared" vintages in Champagne, with '89 getting slightly more
hoopla, but the Cellartracker notes on the '88 sound pretty good to me.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '89 Grande Dame

On May 4, 1:31*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> First of all, thanks to you all for your congratulations. *The public
> celebration of our 20th anniversary took place this Saturday. *We threw
> a party for our friends from work, our neighbors and friends from
> childcare. *At its height, there were probably 40 or so people in our
> home, and a gaggle of 8 children aged 2-5 upstairs with two babysitters
> (Andrew was having a party in parallel with our own). *We served various
> finger foods: a 5.5 lb side of farmed Scottish salmon that I smoked, a
> huge batch of gambas al ajillo, some skewers of moo ping from our
> excellent local Thai restaurant, bread and platters of cheese, salume,
> antipasti and vegetables. *We had various still wines on hand, as well
> as a case of Gruet Brut, but the centerpiece to the event was Jean's
> gift to me:
>
> 1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
> nose: lemons, lightly toasty
> palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately
> toasty finish
>
> The backstory is that Jean opened a bottle of NV Veuve Clicquot in '88
> to propose to me (yes, Larry, I am lucky), so she decided that it would
> be apropos to celebrate with a bottle of Veuve Clicquot from the year of
> our marriage and was able to find a double magnum for sale at Crush in
> NYC. *We were both pleasantly surprised at how young and vibrant this
> wine was. *Having only had La Grande Dame a few times previously, I
> can't say that I'm an expert on the house style, but this wine seemed
> less acidic but also a bit more complex than what I recalled. Very
> little earthy/mushroomy/oxidative character to this wine, reflecting
> most likely the large format. *(side note: I got the cork out with some
> effort as the backpressure was much reduced over the standard for a
> young bottle) *Consensus was that this was a crowd pleaser of an aged
> Champers, which in the end was for the best.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Congratulations again, and thanks for the well done note.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> Fred wrote:
>> Mark Lipton > wrote in :
>>
>>> 1989 Veuve Clicquot "La Grande Dame" (3 L)
>>> nose: lemons, lightly toasty
>>> palate: subdued mousse, creamy mouthfeel, lemony fruit, moderately
>>> toasty finish

>> I have a 3L of '88 Grande Dame. Any notes? It was going to be the
>> centerpiece of my 40th birthday in '03, but we had just moved here
>> and didn't know many people let alone enough to make opening a 3L of
>> Champagne worthwhile.

> No notes from me, Fred. As I said, this isn't a wine I get a lot of.
> However, I'd be happy to help you dispose of yours :P Both '88 and
> '89 were "declared" vintages in Champagne, with '89 getting slightly
> more hoopla, but the Cellartracker notes on the '88 sound pretty good
> to me.

If you are anywhere near Las Vegas you would be welcome when we crack that
puppy. The more the merrier. It may be a while though. I have always been
partial to '88s. I had a great horizontal from then that included all the
first growths, Petrus, d'Yquem and others. I wanted to have it along with
the lGD for my 40th, but that party never came off. I have been drinking
them a bottle at a time for the last 6 years. What was 15 years old is now
21 years old. Maybe I will save what is left for my 50th. I may not be
alive and/or able to drink then.

Fred.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Okay, you've motivated me. I'm having a barbecue next week and in
addition to the vintage Bollinger (1990 I think) I'll open a bottle of
La Grande Dame (I think also 1990).

I've had both before although not recently. The Bollinger gets
softer, dustier while the LGD seems not to change nearly as much with
time. Of course now we're talking about almost two decades.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Shaun Eli wrote:
> Okay, you've motivated me. I'm having a barbecue next week and in
> addition to the vintage Bollinger (1990 I think) I'll open a bottle of
> La Grande Dame (I think also 1990).
>
> I've had both before although not recently. The Bollinger gets
> softer, dustier while the LGD seems not to change nearly as much with
> time. Of course now we're talking about almost two decades.

Shaun,
I'll be fascinated to hear what you make of both wines. I have so
little experience with aged Champers, so I have no basis for comparison
with the '89 LGD.

Mark Lipton