Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burg pink, Sardinian white, OR IT & CA reds

Saturday Betsy made tuna kebabs (are they still kebabs if separate
skewers for the tuna with a citrus/thyme marinade, mushrooms, squash,
with the onions and peppers sharing?) plus a bit of brown rice.
Beautiful day in NY, and we sat on patio for first time this year.
Tuna usually makes me think soft/low tannin red, but the marinade
might be challenging, so I went with the patio theme and the 2007
Domaine Bart Marsannay Rose. Strawberries in cream, but the creaminess
is more texture, and there's plenty of acidity here. Good length,
concentration for a pink, I like. B

Sunday I picked up some homeless friends in the city for a meeting,
drove to Pleasantville, then after meeting (someone else drove guys
back) hitched a ride to Nyack, where Betsy's sextet "String Theory"
had a concert. After the concert there was a little reception, a local
wine shop had donated the wine, I avoided the Frontera white, but
tried the 2005 Ten Mile red. Juicy red berry fruit, a bit of spice, a
bit tannic. Seemed more Zin-ish than Bdx varieties. Not long or
complex, but certainly drinkable. B-

I rode back to Westchester with Bets, and since neither of us had any
time for cooking we tried out a new restaurant in our town. The
Cookery has good, not especially complex, Italian inspired cooking. I
had a rustic grilled pizzette with clams and garlic, followed by a
pork shank (we eat a lot of lamb and veal shanks , but I don't recall
ever having a pork shank) with polenta. Betsy had a bean/bacon/
escarole soup and short ribs.

I started with the 2007 Sella & Mosca Vermentino. Served a bit too
cold, lighter styled, good acidity, a bit dilute but ok flavor base of
pears and citrus. Acceptable,. B-

Betsy's wine was the 2006 Campo Verde Dolcetto. This on the other hand
was a bit too warm, but I'm not sure that temp would have made that
much difference. Low acids, some tannins, blueberries and black plums
with a bit of a green asparagus note. Not finished. C/C+

With my pork I had a glass of the (2007 I think) Erath Pinot Noir.
Lighter styled PN, bright cherry and raspberry fruit, a hint of
pleasant herbiness (I'd say garrigue if this was a Rhone note ) ,
not especially long on the finish but clean and fresh. This was
finished. B+/B

*