Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: nondosage Vouvray Petillant

So after hearing me comment that chicken and dumplings was a comfort
food of my youth, Betsy determined to make some. It was truly
delicious, though it bore little resemblence to my childhood Southern
food. Pretty sure Mom didn't use turmeric, shallots, or leeks, and the
dumplings of my youth were gooey bits of dough, not nice crusty
biscuits of flour and cornmeal.

Wine was the 2006 Pinon "Non Dose" Vouvray Brut. Nose of applesauce
and flowers, light petillance, higher acids. On palate there's apples
and Chenin wooliness, pretty decent length. This is a good wine, but I
have to say that I like the dosed versions better. On the plus side,
this is more obviously Chenin, and is quite precise. But the acidity
is a little shrill/austere, and a little softening would be welcome. I
know a lot of folks think that non-dosage bubblies "rule", but while I
tend not to like high dosage a lot, I find wines that are reported as
low-middling doses seem to appeal to me the most. Not bad by any
stretch, I enjoy, but maybe not as much as the other Pinon petillants.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ok...I've been reading your posts for over a year now and would like
to know when I can come over for dinner.
Steve

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:50:54 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>So after hearing me comment that chicken and dumplings was a comfort
>food of my youth, Betsy determined to make some. It was truly
>delicious, though it bore little resemblence to my childhood Southern
>food. Pretty sure Mom didn't use turmeric, shallots, or leeks, and the
>dumplings of my youth were gooey bits of dough, not nice crusty
>biscuits of flour and cornmeal.
>
>Wine was the 2006 Pinon "Non Dose" Vouvray Brut. Nose of applesauce
>and flowers, light petillance, higher acids. On palate there's apples
>and Chenin wooliness, pretty decent length. This is a good wine, but I
>have to say that I like the dosed versions better. On the plus side,
>this is more obviously Chenin, and is quite precise. But the acidity
>is a little shrill/austere, and a little softening would be welcome. I
>know a lot of folks think that non-dosage bubblies "rule", but while I
>tend not to like high dosage a lot, I find wines that are reported as
>low-middling doses seem to appeal to me the most. Not bad by any
>stretch, I enjoy, but maybe not as much as the other Pinon petillants.
>

>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
>wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
>drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
>promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
>*

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> So after hearing me comment that chicken and dumplings was a comfort
> food of my youth, Betsy determined to make some. It was truly
> delicious, though it bore little resemblence to my childhood Southern
> food. Pretty sure Mom didn't use turmeric, shallots, or leeks, and the
> dumplings of my youth were gooey bits of dough, not nice crusty
> biscuits of flour and cornmeal.
>
> Wine was the 2006 Pinon "Non Dose" Vouvray Brut. Nose of applesauce
> and flowers, light petillance, higher acids. On palate there's apples
> and Chenin wooliness, pretty decent length. This is a good wine, but I
> have to say that I like the dosed versions better. On the plus side,
> this is more obviously Chenin, and is quite precise. But the acidity
> is a little shrill/austere, and a little softening would be welcome. I
> know a lot of folks think that non-dosage bubblies "rule", but while I
> tend not to like high dosage a lot, I find wines that are reported as
> low-middling doses seem to appeal to me the most. Not bad by any
> stretch, I enjoy, but maybe not as much as the other Pinon petillants.

Funny thing, we brought a bottle of the regular Pinon Vouvray Brut to a
dinner Sat. night. Lovely stuff in the typical sparkling Vouvray idiom.
How does the non-dosé compare in price to the regular version?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 31, 10:57*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > So after hearing me comment that chicken and dumplings was a comfort
> > food of my youth, Betsy determined to make some. It was truly
> > delicious, though it bore little resemblence to my childhood Southern
> > food. Pretty sure Mom didn't use turmeric, shallots, or leeks, and the
> > dumplings of my youth were gooey bits of dough, not nice crusty
> > biscuits of flour and cornmeal.

> > Wine was the 2006 Pinon "Non Dose" Vouvray Brut. Nose of applesauce
> > and flowers, light petillance, higher acids. On palate there's apples
> > and Chenin wooliness, pretty decent length. This is a good wine, but I
> > have to say that I like the dosed versions better. On the plus side,
> > this is more obviously Chenin, and is quite precise. But the acidity
> > is a little shrill/austere, and a little softening would be welcome. I
> > know a lot of folks think that non-dosage bubblies "rule", but while I
> > tend not to like high dosage a lot, I find wines that are reported as
> > low-middling doses seem to appeal to me the most. Not bad by any
> > stretch, I enjoy, but maybe not as much as the other Pinon petillants.

> Funny thing, we brought a bottle of the regular Pinon Vouvray Brut to a
> dinner Sat. night. *Lovely stuff in the typical sparkling Vouvray idiom..
> *How does the non-dosé compare in price to the regular version?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Couple dollars more than the NV, no drastic difference.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 31, 8:15*pm, Steve -m> wrote:
> Ok...I've been reading your posts for over a year now and would like
> to know when I can come over for dinner.
> Steve
>
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:50:54 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
> wrote:
>
> >So after hearing me comment that chicken and dumplings was a comfort
> >food of my youth, Betsy determined to make some. It was truly
> >delicious, though it bore little resemblence to my childhood Southern
> >food. Pretty sure Mom didn't use turmeric, shallots, or leeks, and the
> >dumplings of my youth were gooey bits of dough, not nice crusty
> >biscuits of flour and cornmeal.

> >Wine was the 2006 Pinon "Non Dose" Vouvray Brut. Nose of applesauce
> >and flowers, light petillance, higher acids. On palate there's apples
> >and Chenin wooliness, pretty decent length. This is a good wine, but I
> >have to say that I like the dosed versions better. On the plus side,
> >this is more obviously Chenin, and is quite precise. But the acidity
> >is a little shrill/austere, and a little softening would be welcome. I
> >know a lot of folks think that non-dosage bubblies "rule", but while I
> >tend not to like high dosage a lot, I find wines that are reported as
> >low-middling doses seem to appeal to me the most. Not bad by any
> >stretch, I enjoy, but maybe not as much as the other Pinon petillants.

> >Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> >wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> >drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> >promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> >*

Quite a few posters here have come to dinner.
This wasn't so complicated, she combined recipes from Epicurious (one
from Gourmet, other from "Cookie")

[TN] '02 Huet Petillant Reserve Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 18-05-2012 10:39 PM
Vouvray Joseph Coulter[_8_] Wine 0 26-07-2009 10:11 PM
TN: Brunello, CalCab, Vouvray petillant, plus cooking wines DaleW Wine 2 12-08-2008 08:21 PM
Vouvray Ed Rasimus Wine 18 01-08-2007 06:40 PM
More Vouvray Ed Rasimus Wine 2 30-07-2007 07:01 PM